“Dinner with Friend”

Ranked #23 of 37 Restaurants in Thornbury
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I went to The Ship yesterday at 6.30 pm and told could not order food untill 7 as the kitchen
Was busy.
Their was no one eating as we could
See.
However we had a drink and went back at 7
To order.
My food arrived , no cutlery given, I asked where is the other meal , she said I am
Just going to get it. We waited a few minutes and then went to bar to check and she was standing their talking. She said it’s just on its way and left to fetch it .
Again we had to ask for cutlery.
Very poor service and food was not that hot.
Aweful service

1  Thank Lloyd889
Emma L, General Manager at Ship Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hi Lloyd889,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. Firstly I would like to apologise for the poor service you received. We strive to have the highest standard in all aspects of our restaurant and it is clear that on that evening we failed to hit those standards. I have fed all of your comments back to the entire team so we can make changes and look to improve for the future. I would like to apologise again and I hope we see you in the future.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I’ve used this restaurant for the last 17 years due to regular business in the area, however how a once lovely restaurant has been dragged down over the last 12 months.
I wrote a review on November 17th saying how poor the food was and the ship replied asking me to get in touch. However 6 months later I return through work but don’t mention my last visit as I don’t want something for nothing and quite happily give it the benefit of the doubt....How wrong I was

Upon entering at 5:20pm I asked for a tonic water and could I order food. The young gentleman behind the bar, not the most welcoming of people on ,stated that I couldn’t order food for at least 15mins. I asked if I was to early and he said there was only one chef....fair enough, I’ll wait.
However a couple then approach the bar and order a load of meals for their group !

What a great way to welcome a customer... make them feel worthless in front of everyone!

However I ordered the grilled Sea Bass and vegetables which was bought over by a polite smart young lady and in all fairness it was delicious!

In general foods better but please sort out the service as I nearly walked out and that can’t be good for business.

Hi Mick B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. I would like to apologise for the poor experience you had with us. This is not the high standard of service we strive to achieve. We're happy you enjoyed your meal with us and we're sorry this was let down by the service you received. We hope you choose to visit us again in the future to see the changes that I have already begun to put in place.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The atmosphere was quite laid back and the service friendly. Above all the food was excellent and met our expectations to a T.

1  Thank Ferdie47

Hi Ferdie47,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for The Ship Inn. We're really happy you enjoyed your visit with us and we look forward to seeing you and your family again soon.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Using the website, I tried to book for 12.30pm on a Sunday. The booking system showed that there were no spaces and we could therefore book earlier or later. On opting for 12.45pm, but arriving at 12.30pm, we found an almost empty restaurant and, having ordered our food, it was served by 12.45pm!

The food was cheaper than in a number of pubs/ restaurants elsewhere but the quantity seems to have been reduced. I would prefer to pay more and have more food.

The atmosphere was lacking due to the low booking numbers.

Bring back the Sunday Carvery and entice your former customers back.

Hi aveagoodtime,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We're sorry you felt that the portions were smaller. We do have a wide choice available on our Sunday menus, including our "Sunday Best" roast options. These are larger meals including lamb shoulder, large rib of beef, and pork belly. Unfortunately the carvery is not an option at present but we will look at the opportunity potentially for the future. We hope you visit us again soon to try our "Sunday Best".

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We came here as we were staying at the premier inn next door. Clean and tidy not overly busy. We had a couple of drinks and then the Saturday night special. Steak and drink for £20 for two. It would have been rude not too. The steak and chips were worth it although the salad had seen better days. Service was very good and efficient. Just be warned if you go for the white wine that comes with the meal, it’s a bit nasty, better stick with the red or a pint

1  Thank MustTriharder66

Hi MustTriharder66,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We're really happy you enjoyed our great steak deal. I'm a little surprised about the wine because that's our most popular wine and we usually sell 3 cases a week. However, i do love a nice red wine with a steak. We hope to see you again soon.