“Chilled out catch up”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

On entrance this is a delighfil surprise, with lovely furniture and interesting decor. I had scrambled eggs which where delicious, my friend had cake which was huge and lovely. Our tea came in a lovely tea pot with charming cups. The cocktails were also very nice.
We were never hasdled or rushed, all the staff were very friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend and will mist certainly be going back.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

visited on a tuesday with friends - my turn to choose the venue so good that it was only my meals that were disappointing. Smoked salmon to start had the most awful pickled beetroot on top ( i like pickled anything but I like to get a taste of the source veg rather than just vinegar.) sold out of the truffle mac n cheese (only 2 other tables in the restaurant) - had fish and chips which was good. then for pudding, chocolate mousse and hazlenut brittle. mousse came out topped with berries ( I don't like fruit and chocolate) and no brittle. The mousse was solid and dark chocolate so not pleasant. Everyone else seemed to enjoy their dinners.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Loved this restaurant. Quirky decor, friendly welcome, great food and service. All in all a lovely evening. Give it a try

1  Thank CaptAndyK
Reviewed 17 April 2018 via mobile

WOW!!! What a place... I hired the downstairs for a party of around 35/40 people, Adults and some little ones for a surprise party.
The lovely staff all played along so it was a colplete surprise and the management/owners made sure everything was ‘just perfect’.
We’ve eaten in the Resturant and it was fantabulous, so when we spoke about the canopies I was already convinced it would be spectacular.... and it was.
Thai fish cakes - yummie.
Steak lollipops - spectacular
Mini steak hamburgers - sooooo good.
Venue, Staff, food, ambiance - brilliant.
Can only say GO.. your’ll love it .

Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

Our first visit to this much reviewed and raved about local spot tonight. Hubby and I chose to sample the 3 courses for £18.95 and we had mixed opinions...
I chose breaded Brie & homemade chutneys to start and I thought my choice was pretty good! None of your average pre frozen & fresh fried wedges of Brie here! The wedge of Brie was well cooked and the accompanying salad & chutney were lovely in comparison to similar. I’ve tried. Hubby plumped for chicken livers on sourdough and, although the livers were enjoyable the sourdough toast may have been better ‘on the side’ as it was a bit soggy for his liking...
I chose lemon & herb chicken breast with wild mushrooms and celeriac accompaniment with a portion of sautéed new potatoes. I have to say, it was lovely! As nice as I’ve had at home and really tasty! Hubby had ‘sausage & mash’ with pancetta and baby onions which, although it sounded yummy was a touch on the salty side. I don’t know whether salt was added but, when I tried it I could sense the overwhelming saltiness from the pancetta which kinda detracted from what could have been a lovely, comforting dish.
For dessert we had sticky toffee pud and apple tart. Both could have been so much more if they hadn’t been warmed in the microwave... sadly this detracted from their ‘Homemade-ness’ and was a little bit disappointing.
The atmosphere in this lovely, quirky place was good for a Monday evening and the wines/beers available were smashing but sadly something was a bit lacking.
We soooooo wanted to enjoy this as the great reviews were what prompted us to visit but, it could be so much more.
Perhaps we’re just a bit snobby (and spoilt from good food at home?) but the lack of attention to taste disappointed us a bit...
I’ve no doubt we’ll visit again but for the time being we’ll stick to our well trusted faves in Southend/Westcliff.