“Dreadful service”
Review of The Fox and Raven

The Fox and Raven
Reserve with OpenTable
The Fox and Raven is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #241 of 400 Restaurants in Chelmsford
Price range: US$11 - US$28
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Fox and Raven in Chelmsford is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

I visited twice last week....once alone and once with my husband.

On both occasions I was sat at a table on the patio where there is supposed to be waiter service.

When I visited alone on 22 May, i arrived at 13.35 and had to wait over 20 minutes before my order was taken for both a drink and food. I would have gone to the bar to get my own drink but as I was visiting alone I would lose my table! Watching the two male waiters they randomly did tasks that meant any new customers were ignored. Someone needs to help them become more effective in their jobs! When my order was taken, two ladies sitting behind me asked if they could order too and they were told they would have to wait ...?????
The food was fine when it arrived but the service was dreadful.

My husband and I visited again on Sunday 27th and we sat at a table on the patio and were ignored for about 10 minutes so my husband went to the bar to get our drinks. We then waited another 15 minutes and no one took our order so he once again went to the bar to order.

Both male waiters were once again randomly doing tasks but many tables had to go to the bar themselves, tables were not being cleared and people had long waits for food.

We both had a 3 meat roast and to be honest we wished we had gone to The Toby. The meat was dry, there wasn’t much veg, the Yorkshire puds were flat and hard and I had a black potato and either a large piece of bone or the meet had been frazzled in a microwave. There wasn’t enough gravy either. We weren’t asked how our meals were!!

This place used to be excellent....now it has serious problems.....maybe Gordon Ramsey could visit and sort out the whole team!!

1  Thank we_love_the_canaries
General Manager A, Manager at The Fox and Raven, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

Hello we_love_the_canaries

thank you for your feedback concerning your last two visits to is here at the fox and raven firstly let me appologise for your experience I will personally speak to the two team members in question and give them more training so that this doesn't happen again in the near future, I will also speak to the kitchen team regarding the food as well to make sure that this too doesn't happen again either we hope this hasn't stopped you from coming to us and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Connor

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

We stopped here on an impromptu date night without the kids. We were seated immediately and found the waiting staff to be attentive without being in your face. The meals were good value. We ordered a 3 course meal each and portion sizes were large.
It was a little slow between main and dessert but I think they were changing staff at the time.
The drinks included in the meal deal were a little confusing. A meal for 2 people included ie 2 ciders but you couldn’t mix and match so at 7 months pregnant I couldn’t have a soft drink alongside my husband having cider and had to order my soft drink separately whilst a cider we had to pay for as part of the meal deal went to waste because he was driving.

We would come again - but will probably wait until I’m not pregnant so I can take advantage of the meal deal too.

General Manager A, Manager at The Fox and Raven, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2018

Hi Ruth w

Sorry to hear about the issue with the drinks, we could definately have arranged to swap the cider for a soft drink for you, i will make sure i speak to the team about this so it doesnt happen again.

Look forward to seeing you and the new addition to your family when you next visit

Reviewed 26 May 2018

Following a small shopping trip in the town, we decided to visit here as we had stopped on a previous occasion for a drink.
It was a lovely summers day and the pub has a country side view to the rear so we decided to sit in garden, the grassy part.
My partner has just had knee surgery and was bandaged up so drinks paid and returned to the table. We then chose food and as no one approached our table I returned to the bar again to place the food order. The young lady serving me, informed me, it was table service. However as I was at the bar I would order and pay.
I ordered the flat bread, crab cakes which were not available, so changed these for lobster and prawn cocktail and a steak sandwich with treble cooked chips.
I returned to the table
We had to,return to our home for school collection times for 2.45pm which was 30/40 mins drive away. We ordered approx 12.17pm by our receipt. I took a personal call from my brother in Australia whilst waiting which lasted 32mins and finished at 1.39pm, just before my call finished the flat br ad arrived. Shortly after the mains arrived, almost 90mims after orderering.
However as I was on the phone whilst waiting, my partner unable to walk properly, flagged 2 male waiters to order more drinks this time stamp was 1.18pm. She was ignored twice. She then rang, from the garden, to the front desk and explained that no one was offering service. She was informed they do not do table service on the grass.
For those who have not visited there are approx 14-20 tables on the patio and only 6 on the grass, the whole area is in the same catchment and the grass is technically as close if not closer than some tables on the patio. We sat at table 130 and have a photo to show we were in fact 1m away from the patio. The was obviously opposite to the lady at the bar explaining table service is available outside. However someone immediately came out offered service and returned promptly with drinks.

The food:
The flat bread was fine
The steak med-rare with horseradish mayo, was in fact steak med-wd, zero horseradish but some plain mayo. The treble cook chips, usually offer a signature dish to a pub, these were chips well cooked and disappointing.
The lobster and prawn, was a bed of leaves (it was exactly as I wrote) with zero lobster and very simple plain mayo and prawns. Very disappointing.

Summary:
Poor service
Poor quality food
Nice venue
Great shame

General Manager A, Manager at The Fox and Raven, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2018

Hi milodog

Thanks for your feedback. Sorry your visit wasnt as expected, there was a wait on food which was explained, as you had 2 courses this wait time affected them both, apologies if your prawn cocktail was missing lobster, we make nearly 100 of these fresh every week so it would be a really unusual error, we noticed one of your party did not have full mobilty so out of kindness we took your order for you which as the team had a full compliment of tables each i thought was a nice gesture?

As always your comments will be taken on board as we continue to strive to be better.

Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

Something is going seriously wrong with this place.

Bank Holiday weekend and this national chain was running out of far too many products. Beers off, food off. Ridiculous waiting times for what is, after all, food shipped in and reheated in the kitchen.

Awful queues at the bar. Having been told lots of what we wanted was no longer available and we’d have to wait the best part of an hour for food we hadn’t really wanted at the first time of asking, we decided to cut our losses and leave.

The Fox and Raven used to be a perfectly adequate chain pub; it’s going downhill fast.

General Manager A, Manager at The Fox and Raven, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2018

Hi dinnerdiner2015

Thanks for your feedback, just to clarify we dont ‘ship in food and reheat it’ not sure why you have said this, our food is freshly prepared and cooked hence why at certain times there can be a wait. We were extremely busy that weekend and unfortunately we ran out of some items.

Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

Loved our visit here, beautiful surroundings and scenery across Baddow meads, plenty of space for parking. The staff friendly and looked after us perfectly. Brilliant food too. Goodles ending for the Royal Wedding Day.thank you.

Mary G

Thank you so much for the lovelly 5 star review, im glad you had an enjoyable visit and we look forward to seeing you again soon