All reviews selection of beers excellent location sea air decent size tea and coffee pluses owing
Reviewed 1 October 2018

We booked this hotel for a short break to meet up with friends (some local and some staying elsewhere). The bedroom was small but clean and comfortable, had a fantastic sea view (if you don't mind the kids' raceway in between, which we didn't!) and was nicely cleaned and tidied while we were out. Bathroom was also clean, though shower was a bit weedy and the basin drained very slowly. Staff were generally helpful and friendly. However, the whole place is very shabby, and the lock on our door was loose and I'm pretty sure was never actually locked. I mentioned this when checking out and saw the receptionist flit straight from friendly to very, very bored. Not his problem, and whoever owns the place clearly can't be bothered. Breakfast was served in the restaurant; again, clean, with all the tables nicely laid, but ceiling tiles missing or half off. Breakfast itself was pretty poor: a breakfast buffet of three types of cereal (in their packets), no fruit other than orange juice. Cooked breakfast was ok the first day, but lukewarm the second, and tea and coffee was tepid and not brilliant. There is NO private parking as advertised; parking is on the road outside which was convenient enough, but not what was promised and certainly not secure. Worst of all, we were charged twice, once by Booking.com and again when we arrived - I couldn't check till I got home that, despite assurances, this was the case, and it caused a certain amount of anxiety. To be fair to Booking.com, they have dealt with it promptly and organised a refund and an apology. Apparently the staff didn't understand the system - training obviously not a priority.

Stayed: September 2018
Reviewed 18 September 2018 via mobile

My husband chose this hotel and went on the Friday I joined him on the Saturday. I didn’t go into the room which was on the second floor until late evening as we met up with friends. My first impression from the outside was it’s an old building with a lot of character. The lift can only fit two people that’s fine. The carpets are old fashioned as is the wallpaper all dated. I went in the room and it’s old and needs a refurbishment. But the sheets were white as were the towels. We had to go down three steps into the bathroom if it was modernised it would be quaint. Well the shower curtain was awful and the tiles edges need a good scrub. I got in bed and the mattress was terrible I hardly slept the Saturday night as it was uncomfortable. I did shower but was very quick as I hated looking at the shower curtain. We did stay on the Sunday night but I couldn’t bring myself to use the shower again as I was coming home I just thought I’d wash and then shower at home. This place needs a LOT of money spent on it to bring it up to a good standard. I would say this is possibly a one star hotel and I would not be recommending it or staying again without work being done and all beds changed along with the bathrooms.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sally J
Reviewed 1 September 2018

We felt unsafe and the hotel is very run down which caused us to cancel the rest of our stay there and book into another hotel. There were fire extinguishers missing from their allocated spots on all three floors, dodgy electrics outside our room, the fire door on the top floor opens straight onto the stairs which proved difficult to get our luggage through. The decor is very dated and in some places peeling away. The advertised car park is not available and apparently hasn't been for some time which made parking quite difficult at times as it is on the sea front. There was an adjoining room to ours that we could not lock and had other guests staying in. The lift machine was right next to our room so this tended to wake us up when the lift was in use throughout the night.

Room Tip: Lift only goes to the second floor and stairs are difficult with luggage to the third floor.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2018

The room we were given was a little back room not very clean then while laying on the bed a bedbug ran across the duvet! Easy to spot as the duvet was white, I jumped up and moved the pillows there were 4 more inbetween the two pillows, I didn't sleep at all, in the morning they were actually crawling up the walls! We complained and they moved us to a much better room with sea view, much cleaner room , breakfast lovely but won't be staying again. Had to come home wash everything even washbags as was advised to do so emptied everything out of suitcase on the front lawn and chucked suitcase away as apparently they crawl in every little crevise, this didn't help my anxiety at all. We booked through booking .com don't think they realised what sort of place this is! Won't be using them either.

Room Tip: Don't even bother!
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2018

It's a basic hotel, but the price reflects that. Beds and bedding were clean (no bugs!) and it was fine for a one night stay after a night out in Felixstowe! Beds were a little lumpy, but I still managed a decent enough nights sleep. Sea front room so relaxing tidal noises helps!

Room Tip: Sea View room
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends