All reviews main building middle of town would highly recommend this hotel comfortable bed excellent hotel free coffee new building tea bar heated floors close to shops corner room central location modern hotel stayed two nights polar bear tourist information five nights
Reviewed 9 August 2018

We stayed as a family in the apartments which are just 50m down the road from the actual hotel. Check in was swift and very efficient. We had a second floor apartment which was warm and well furnished with all you need. Note that the apartment we used had 6 single beds. There is the Svalbar on the ground floor but it did not bother ourselves with any noise etc.
The Breakfast in the hotel was very good. A nice touch is the complementary tea and coffee in reception. Staff friendly and helpful too. I would certainly stay in this hotel again when we do another Arctic Adventure!

Room tip: If in the apartments then go for the second floor as it is further away from the bar downstairs on the ground floor
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed two nights here in the apartment and they’ve got everything we need with spacious room. It’s only two blocks away from the supermarket, post office and a small shopping centre, and its 5 mins walk to Svalbard Museum.
There’re free coffee and tea available at the lounge beside the reception.

Will definitely return to this hotel if I come to Svalbard again.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2018

I stayed here for two separate 1-night stays, before and after a cruise.
I was not in the main building - I was in the building just on the opposite side of the road from the main building.
The rooms have a pin-code rather than a key for entry. My first room was the end room on the floor below the entry level, so I had to get my wheeled duffel plus two backpacks down the stairs to my room as the lift was inoperable. My second room was the second-to-last room on the floor above the entry level. Getting the luggage up and down the stairs at the start and end of each stay was a challenge.
But that is he only small issue with both stays. The room was good - I had two beds (very comfortable), a couple of chairs, a little table, good hanging space and shelves if I had wanted to unpack. There were vertical fabric blinds and a roll down blockout curtain. Light did get in around the edges but it wasn't enough to stop sleep.
I loved that I had a kettle to make as much tea as I wanted in my room.
I liked the heated floors in the bathroom :) The bathroom lights are motion activated (and they went out my first night in the shower...)
The included breakfast buffet is amazing. Heaps of variety.
Most importantly, I found all the desk staff helpful and friendly. The reception staff gave me advice on where to walk to see the Polar Bear warning sign and were happy to answer questions. On my second stay, they helped me with booking a husky dog cart trip, and with airport pickup information.
The foyer is comfortable to wait for your room or after checkout, with tea and coffee available.
Please do take your shoes off in reception!

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Svalbard H, Front Office Manager at Svalbard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2018

Dear mlgAustralia,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us such a lovely review! We are very greatful for all feedback.

We hope that if you visit us next time we will be able to offer you better service with the bags, we do offer guests help if needed, since our lift at the time was not opperational, and I'm sorry that we did not see that you needed help.

I sincerely hope that we will be able to welcome you again!

Our very best wishes,

Reviewed 3 August 2018 via mobile

The room, bed, lobby with a machine serving free coffee and tea, breakfast, was all excellent. Very friendly staff. Almost flawless except that the curtains allowed some light to get in in the night, and that it is a bit pricey. Would highly recommend.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Martin R

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, we highly appreciate it.
I'm very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that almost everything was to your liking.
We have noted that the curtains did not fully satisfy and will do our best to solve that probelm.

Thank you again and have a lovely day!

Reviewed 30 July 2018

We've traveled quite a bit and I was surprised that a hotel in Longyearbyen would be so pricey, but the service we received helped explained it.

As this was our first trip to the Arctic and it was summer, we asked about Northern Lights and our concierge obliged with personal photos so that we could see and understand when they appear. We got briefed on the town, wildlife, and what it's like to live in Longyearbyen. It was a different perspective than we got from our tour guides and books.

Breakfast was extensive - there were choices for everything: coffees, teas, yogurts, cereals, eggs, breads, cheeses (including brown goat cheese), meats, fish, and fruit. I wasn't expecting fresh pineapple or melon, but it was there.

There was a tea kettle in the room which we made good use of. The beds were comfortable and the rooms quiet with blinds to keep out the midnight light.

The hotel assisted with transportation needs and booking activities. They were immensely helpful with information about getting the luggage to our cruise ship which was invaluable as our travel agent failed to inform us.

There is wifi available, but it's not high speed internet - although there may not be any better connection in town.

Room tip: Stay for breakfast
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear BriardM0m

We are so happy to recieve such a lovely review! Thank you for taking the time to write us.
We do our best to offer both personal and professional service and to offer only the best to our guest in every aspect.
We sincerely hope that you will visit us again in the near future.

Our very best wishes,
The Svalbard Hotell Polfareren team.