“Fab cycling / walking pit stop! ”
Review of The Woolpack Inn

The Woolpack Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Restaurants in Boot
Price range: US$3 - US$35
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: On a small road between the Boot Inn and Hardknot pass.
Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

We usually get the little train to Boot and and end up eating at the Boot Inn but we’d parked and cycled today so went further out of tthe village and discovered the Woolpack Inn.

Lovely beer garden especially on such a sunny day. Menu is great, something for everyone.
Tapas 3 dishes for £10 is great value. We had garlic mushrooms, sweet potato fries, meatballs, ribs, mozzarella & tomato salad and chicken strips, all fantastic.

Full meals others were having looked lovely too and there’s a cafe menu with lighter bites. Also do pizzas, salads etc, you’re spoiled for choice!

They have rooms too so definitely one to keep in mind for a night away and a nice meal.

Definitely recommended!! Great all round from our experience today!

Reviewed 17 July 2018

a week before we were going to eskdale we rang and booked a table for 6 for 3 nights.when we arrived the table was ready for us, ordered our meals and we were all served with in about 5mins on each night. the food was very good, nice selection well served and plenty on the plate, just what you need after a good days walk. the beer was ok, staff very nice. also we ask for a glass of water with our meal, we were not served tap water but bottled water at no cost to us.

Reviewed 6 July 2018 via mobile

After a long days hiking my friends and I sat down for food. When ordering we were told there would be an hour's wait which was fine, we were happy to wait and have a drink. Over an hour and a half later the food started to appear however the majority of the meals were completely wrong. When we mentioned this we were told it would be another 20 minute wait for food, if they could correct it. After hiking we were all hungry so just accepted the meals which were a bit poor and disappointing themselves. When we went to pay and mentioned the mix up and wait we were told we were lucky to get food and should still pay full price as we still got a meal even though some were completely different to what we ordered! Eventually we were given a 10% off or free drink voucher to compensate- which I gave to guests coming into the bar as we were leaving the next day. We were told that the staff were overwhelmed, although it wasn't that busy and most people were there for the football to have a drink and not eating.

So frustrating and a disappointing and to a great day out.

1  Thank Shona H
Reviewed 2 July 2018

I hate writing bad reviews but this place was terrible.
We waited 1.5 hrs for our food and when it arrived most of our group got the wrong food! One of our party is gluten intolerant so simply asked for the burger without bun, but they also removed the salad, coleslaw and napkin that came with the other burgers! Another ordered a steak and received a burger. My partner waited 1.5hrs for his mutton burger only to be told they were out of mutton and would he mind beef instead. I ordered sausage and mash and received sausage and eggs. When I asked if they could change it he said it would be at least another 15/20mins of waiting.
When going to pay the bill I expressed my disappointment and asked if we could have a discount to reflect that we didn't get the food we wanted. The lady at the bar was very defensive and asked if the food was okay quality. I said the food was okay but it wasn't what we ordered. She said that they were super busy, the kitchen was overwhelmed so if the food was okay and it was the same price then we should be happy we got something! I was shocked and explained again that it was the principle. She asked who took our orders and I described the man, to which she responded 'well I'm not going to dock his pay' - which was not at all what I was asking for! I did not want to pay full price for food I did not order! She was not at accepting and I was forced to leave having paid full price for the wrong food.
My friend paid afterwards and complained similarly. She was given a voucher for 1 free drink or 10% off next meal (not much use when you are only visiting!) and was told 'we give these out when people are complaining when the kitchen staff are overwhelmed'. This seemed incredibly unfair - the staff being overwhelmed is not the customers' fault!
On leaving we saw three other parties having the same complaints and discussion when trying to settle the bill, so this was not an isolated issue.
I would also like to point out that whilst the pub was busy there were still tables so they did not appear to be at fully capacity. There was a moderately large crowd there to watch the football but it is the choice of the venue to show that and then cater for it.
Very disappointed. Some of the worst customer service I have received. Such as shame given the stunning location. The one positive I could give was that the stilton mushroom starter was very good when it finally arrived.

Reviewed 29 June 2018

Cracking pub in a superb location at the foot of Hardknott pass. Called in for a beer one lunchtime & was overwhelmed by the choice of local beers on offer.