“'Test run' for dining club summer event”

Andre Garrett at Cliveden
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Taplow
Price range: US$42 - US$124
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: The André Garrett Dining Room was originally the Drawing Room of the house and is a stunning south-facing spacious room which radiates with sunlight and looks out over the nineteenth-century Parterre, the gardens and River Thames. Its classical elegance and fine works of art give it an enviable touch of romance, and bring the history for which Cliveden is famous to life. Lunch and dinner are served here, offering classic English dishes combined with Cliveden's extensive cellar book. At lunchtimes, chose from the Market menu which offers tremendous value or from the more extensive a la carte selection. At dinner, enjoy award-winning modern classic English cuisine with dishes brimming with fresh seasonal ingredients and local produce. Please note, jeans or sportswear are not permitted at any time. Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket for dinner.
Reviewed 30 April 2018

We are part of a small dining club which meets six times a year in London, and once a year in the summer 'out of town'. For this we have special requirements. A superb location, fantastic food, and a fixed menu which does not compromise on quality. This last is important as we always split the bill equally amongst us...normally 10-16 people. It makes life simpler.

For the 'out of town' event we always do a 'test run', either one couple or, on this occasion, us and another couple. Andre Garrett at Cliveden delivered on all fronts 'in spades'. The location, and the view from the dining room, is fantastic. We had the Market Lunch menu at £36 per head.

We were so pleased we have made the reservation for 14 people later in the year. The staff were extremely helpful in helping us book this (it is a larger party than they normally deal with without a private room)

Reviewed 27 April 2018

We enjoyed a three course meal for my partners birthday, whilst staying at Cliveden House. I thoroughly enjoyed my truffle risotto, with my partner exclaiming the crab salad was the freshest she had ever tasted! We both had the Chateaubriand which was cooked to perfection! The addition of the Boulangere Potatoes and seasonal carrots worked really well. the chocolate and bloody orange soufflé went down a treat. Exceptionally attentive service throughout with perfectly paired wines suggested really made the meal! If you can ask for the window tables to enjoy the great view from the house of the immaculate gardens!

Reviewed 9 April 2018

Ate here last week with my two children having seen Andre Garrett on James Martin’s show. Food was really good. Very happy with everything we ate. Location and setting are also stunning. The service really surprised me. A comical catalogue of issues that just shouldn’t exist at such a restaurant. The waitress dropped a (thankfully empty) glass on me that hit my shoulder and then broke on the floor. O.k. It happens but I didn’t feel much remorse. They took the adults drink orders but not our children. We ordered some wine and the waitress asked if we wanted it with our starters to which our response was yes. It never came and we were chasing it whilst our main course sat in front of us. One of the waitresses gave my kids a patronising speech about eating their greens - she was trying to be nice and I think funny but it was so badly executed we all felt quite embarrassed. The waiter brought the wrong flavor ice cream for my daughter and it took 20 minutes and further chasing from us before it came back by which point everyone had finished. Our coffee arrived before our dessert and not with the advertised petit fours which we also had to chase. My youngest daughter was offered cream or ice cream with her dessert to which she requested cream (sensitive teeth!). It came with ice cream!. By this point we had given up. The entire proceeding took 2hrs 20mins which for a set menu felt really slow. I couldn’t wait to get out of there. At the end I explained to the waiter that I wasn’t happy to pay the service charge and was happy to discuss with him or the manager. He apologized and just removed the charge showing zero interest in the experience I’d had. I apologised too and we left. We had 4 different waiters / waitresses during the meal. I’m no hospitality expert but surely that is not the best way to organize a service. First time in my life I haven’t paid a service charge. Such a shame that great food can be so badly let down by a disinterested group of wait staff. I think the attitude upset me more than the poor service.

5  Thank 12PaulR12
Reviewed 3 April 2018

I was taken here for dinner here for a special birthday treat. Was apprehensive having read some poor reviews recently. Need not have been as it was a truly great evening. We had the tasting menu and wine flight, everything was delicious. For me the stand-out dish was the turbot, with seaweed butter sauce, more than exquisite.

Service was spot-on, and we were looked after by the most delightful, young, and beautiful Italian waitress. Hope she reads this! So knowledgeable about the food and the wines.....generous portions of wine also.

Yes, expensive, but it is Cliveden. A truly memorable evening.

Have eaten many tasting menus in the last 2/3 years, this is equal to the best. (Probably Latymer at Pennyhill Park.)

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

I love this chef and his wonderful creations.
I love the dining room and the views .
The lunch menu has been excellent each time I have visited.