See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. I had a reservation at a motel down the street that looked like a crime scene or pay by the hour and promptly left and came to The Carolina Motel. The out side is very pretty pool is partially shaded which is great for me as I burn very easy. The location is awesome a quick 5 minutes to beautiful downtown Wilmington. I recommend the ghost tours it was fun. I was placed in the two story building which is older. Ok there is a smell but I think it's because the building is old. The room was nice a bit dark but clean. The beds firm and pillows small. The room was very big missing a microwave but had a frig. So for the price to paid for a double no smoking room I gave 4 stars it's not horrible. The place down the street was. I will be back for more weekend getaways

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

I checked in on July 3, 2018 and stayed 2 nights. I should point out that I have low standards for a cheap room. (70 per night). I do however expect to feel safe. I arrived at 630pm and was waiting for the man behind the counter to finish with the customer he had. He was unable to multitask and I waited while he tried to process her bank card. While we were there some teenagers asked to trade their towels for New ones. He had none and called housekeeping to roll his eyes at whatever they said and seem annoyed. He then asked the kids too and told him towels would be delivered to their room. The kids were soaking wet and obviously in the pool. Towels delivered to a room later doesn't seem very helpful. I joked with him and he was not the joking type. I telhen asked if he knew any good seafood restaurants in town and he said no, I buy my seafood at the seafood market. He then told me how to get there and the daily special's they had on freshly caught fish. I asked if they sell anything cooked. He said no. I asked if they had a kitchen, he said no. I then told him that i could do nothing with a fish market on vacation if there was no place to cook it. He told me where my room was and I left. I went around the pool through these two buildings (like a secret path, very cool) around back and found my room. It was inside a two story motel with doors inside and a keyed door to get inside to the doors for the rooms. (All the other buildings were like cottages not the room {rm152}/building I was in.) I found my room and went to get my things. The room smelt musty but I always put dryer sheets under the corners of my bed and around the room to help keep bugs away. This also helps with the musty smell. Above the door was a square hole in the ceiling that had been taped up and painted over the tape. When you walked in 2 lamps didn't work. The TV couldn't change the channel so sales shows after midnight, cops in the evening, church in the morning and murder she wrote in the afternoon. I checked the tub to make sure it drains well And there were no drains in it so it did drain well. I couldn't help but think a snake might crawl out of it while I showered. I had a smoking room but there was no ashtray so I opened the huge window to put my ash out and it didn't lock. It was I big fire exit window to step out in case of a fire or in if you're a killer. There was a screw hole where it was screwed closed at one time but not anymore. Mini fridge worked well. I went to call the front desk and tell them about the lights not working, unlockable window, wifi password and no smoke detectors and when I picked up the phone there was no wire attached. I began to laugh, looked around and found the wire but the phone didn't work. There was also no microwave, coffee pot, safe, iron or blow-dryer. I wouldn't have expected an iron or blow-dryer but there were storage holders for them on the walls so I did look and they had none. I use Lysol wipes when I check in a room and the room was free of dust and nicotine free on all tables, headboards, dressers and counter's when I wiped them (a good sign lol maybe a little anal). It was time to get something to eat, most places closed at 9 on a weekday. I went to szechuan Buffet. (Read my review on them there) on the way out I asked about the window, lamps and telephone. He informed me that his maintenance man had left for the day and he couldn't have my lights or window fixed til tomorrow. I asked if he had a lightbulb, he said no. I asked if he had a screw so no one could kill me tonight and he handed me one. I was so surprised that he wouldn't come to secure the window himself I forgot to mention my other problems. No phone, one channel etc.. I came back and around midnight someone was banging on the door and running away, not once but 4 times. I used my cellphone after the 4th time to call the office. He apologized and said we have no camera inside the building, just outside. I fell asleep with the screw in the window. Bed had a crappy mattress you could feel the springs in. The blanket made my skin itchy. I only used the sheets. The final morning the maid was knocking on the door T 830am. After the 3rd time I let her know that I was sleeping And I was leaving at 11am. I would never stay here again, unless for 29.99 per night, then maybe..

If you're still going to stay, bring your own towels, dryer sheets, a blanket and blow-dryer if you'll need one.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Jordana H
Reviewed 19 June 2018

I booked this room at the last minute after 6:00pm and was unable to cancel or I would have. The first room they gave me smelled like someone had died. I called the office and they gave me another room which was only slightly better. Door had to be pushed open with your whole body, the smell was still there (old, moldy and musky) towel rack torn off wall, sheets with holes and the phone did not work. WIFI also not working. Roaches on the floor. I called to complain, no more rooms. I had to go buy candles and room spray just to get some of the odor out. Was told to come in the morning to talk to manager. Outside doors did have key access, but someone kept propping them open and then slamming them most of the night. Went in the morning for the Continental breakfast which was bread with butter and jelly, stale doughnuts or over ripe bananas. Asked to speak to manager and was told they never come in on weekends. I let my information and asked that I get a call about my room rate and condition and still have not heard from them. This room was $100.00 a night and should have been about $50.00 or $60.00.

Room tip: Book somewhere else!!!!!!
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

Absolutely horrible. First room keys didn't work . Second room , too exhausted to complain but when I wake up and need to have a business meeting via wi fi and call desk was told to call back and then hung up on . Smh this place looks like an insane asylum. But at least get your wifi up and running for ppl just stopping for business

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank Valerie C
Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

It's a disaster in averything, cockroaches everywhere !!! the floor is disgusting, the bathroom is dirty , bedsheets and towels have lot of spots on them and everything is falling in pieces . You don't want to stay here just find something else.

Date of stay: July 2017