Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
We had a gem of a time!

We chose to go on one of their mine tours to Brushy Creek Mine. It was wonderful. Our guides, Caleb... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Q5107PZerikam
Wonderful

Go315325

All reviews mining experience hoot owl blue topaz bucket list gift shop large number price range have a good time down the road whole family on site love this place emeralds aquamarine dirt cut finds
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We have enjoyed going to Gem Mountain for years! The kids love “mining” and finding treasures. We have found some really nice stones that Kay and Madonna helped turn into beautiful jewelry! We enjoy the gift shop too. There’s always something for everyone! We look forward to visiting again!

Date of experience: November 2020
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We love to gem mine and heard rave reviews about Gem Mountain and were so excited to go. I read reviews on here and thought there are way more positive than negative and went on. To be honest we checked out all of them while we were there.

I'm not sure what the people are talking about. The buckets are far superior than Rio Doce. The quantity is way more at Gem Mountain. You get better gems that are worth more.

As far as the staff go, you will never find nicer people than they are. The owner, Kay is always there front and center. She is one of the nicest people I have ever met. This is a family run business and we met several of the grandsons while there.

I would highly recommend Gem Mountain to all my friends and family.

Date of experience: May 2021
gemmountain, Manager at Gem Mountain Gemstone Mine, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you so much for your review!

Reviewed 19 April 2021

The other gem bucket mines in the area are at least friendly, will engage with you, talk about their product or mining in the area. Not Gem Mountain... bad vibe and unwelcoming every time I visit. I can not speak for their material as I have given my $$$ to the business just down the road with fantastic, over the top, owners that engage and are extremely friendly. I hope GM can take this advise and change, I want all businesses in the area to thrive

Date of experience: April 2021
1  Thank 166russs

Thank you for your review. We take these seriously as we have been in business for 34 years and a very high percentage is by repeat customers. We pride ourselves in having the best buckets in the area. We have always been reviewed for our friendliness and cleanliness. The owners are always present and all but a couple of the staff are family. With that being said, we always take the time to talk with everyone and we have over all these years made what were once customers extended family members.

Next time you're here please take the time and stay longer. You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed 7 April 2021

We took the Hoot Owl mine tour on 3/30/21. My son and I boarded a van with five other folks for about a 30 minute ride (including ~15 minutes of VERY rough "roads" on the way to the mine) to the Hoot Owl mine. Mining here began in the 1800s, primarily for feldspar and mica, but it is not currently an active mine. It's cool to walk through the large caverns and see the veins of different materials running through the rock. Your actual mining experience takes place outside of the actual mine, in a large pile of material brought to this location from a different mine (that is not open to the public). You are given buckets and shovels to dig through the pile, looking primarily for emeralds. Screens are available, but unfortunately the flume does not work, so you have to wait until you are back at the shop to clean up your findings.

We found a large number of emeralds buried within black mica. After we ran all our material through the flume at the shop, the experts there identified three of our samples as containing emeralds of high enough quality to have cut into stones - the other samples were just pretty green/black rocks. We didn't elect to get them cut (price range shown to us for this was $115-$285) but may in the future.

Overall, a great experience for my son and me. I have to admit I was slightly disappointed to learn the material we were digging through came from another mine, but I understand why. Our guide was not very engaging, but would answer questions put to him and would dig through the pile himself, giving his finds to the kids on the tour. The experience is a bit pricey at $90/head (kids younger than 11, I think, are half price) and I wouldn't do it again, but I'm glad we did it last week, as it was something my son really had on his bucket list.

Date of experience: March 2021
1  Thank KurtRB

Hi! Thank you so much for the review. We are glad you enjoyed your time with us. I did want to take the time to ask you about the guide. You said he was there to answer your questions and actually did some digging for you and gave your son the emeralds. I'm not sure what else you expected but I would like to ask you to give us a call or respond back. We take comments very serious and want to make any improvements we need to. Thanks!

Reviewed 3 April 2021 via mobile

Under cover heated slucing area. A little pricy. Free cut but cabochon only. They will mail it to you. Two Gift shops.

Date of experience: April 2021

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to review. I did want to make sure that you are aware that the free cut is faceted OR cab. Just want to make sure you knew that in case you want to get buckets with those again. Thanks!