“As good as New Orleans”

Ranked #124 of 1,486 Restaurants in Raleigh
Price range: US$12 - US$25
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: In the heart of Raleigh, you’ll find a little slice of New Orleans: The Big Easy. We embody the best of our two favorite cities, Raleigh and New Orleans. with Our Cajun-inspired Southern fare, All-American classics, live music, and good ol' fashioned southern hospitality, we are certain that there will be something that will please your palate. Indulge in our Louisiana favorites, like jambalaya, gumbo, and po' boys, or join us for the absolute best burgers in town, fresh crisp salads, savory pork chops, a juicy ribeye, or our super popular wings. At The Big Easy, we always have something going on! Mondays Kids Eat Free, Wednesday is Team Trivia, Thursday we have a DJ Dance Party and unique drink specials every day. As for our live music, the best local bands play here each and every Friday and Saturday night! Enjoy it all with a one of our signature Hurricanes in your hand, and you’ll be feeling the spirit of the Crescent City with all the cool vibes of Fayetteville Street.
Reviewed 21 November 2021 via mobile

We had lunch at The Big Easy on Saturday. It was not crowded but service was a bit slow. The menu is a bit limited and expensive but there was enough variety. I had the seafood platter with blackened catfish, fried oysters and fried shrimp. It came with fries and cole slaw. Husband and son had seafood gumbo and jambalaya. We had an appetizer of wings, despite my vote for alligator bites. We have been to New Orleans and found this food to be just as good. Husband says there's no need to return to New Orleans- we can just come here. Waiters were very polite, though slow. Atmosphere is quaint- brick walls, wooden floors. They have a bar. Conveniently located about 2 blocks from a parking deck.

Date of visit: November 2021
Write a reviewReviews (240)

Reviewed 17 July 2021

I’m not sure what I could say is good about this place. I’ll say, our server had a good personality and the overall space is nice.

Let’s start by saying there were only 6 other people in the place, 3 at the bar. We were a larger table of 10. In short, I though my Turkey Breast sandwich would be an actual breast and not sliced deli meat from the grocery store, being as though it’s supposed to be dinner at a “nicer” restaurant. Our table ordered 6 apps and only 3 had an entree and we had plenty of alcohol. Wings were crispy, but just mehhhh tasting. Fries tasted like just oil. We had to go up to the bar a few times to order our drinks. No one enjoyed their food, which came out after we left, as I guess none of us wanted to be a downer.

Bathroom floor sticky and dirty, toilet leaking in back of it.

Clearly will not be back. Pull it together or call it a day. Sorry to be so harsh, but the strong must survive and commit, pulling out of Covid times.

Date of visit: July 2021
Reviewed 21 March 2021

my family ties a new RR every weekend... the Host was not happy to be there, she was rude. The food was awful.. all fried crap. Oil was way over dated, everything tasted burnt. the food was so heavy in breading it was no food, just crap. i worked RR many years. Do go ! cook with light breaded, change the oil for god sake, find fresh dishes add, server was great ! she managed all the tables great, bread pudding at the end only thing good,,,, run

Date of visit: March 2021
Reviewed 8 March 2021

Email I tried to send to the owner. The very rude female manager gave me the wrong contact information several times: I scheduled a reservation two weeks in advance for a party of 20 of my colleagues (principals, counselors, nurse practitioners, teachers, and friends) and experienced what I would call the worst restaurant experience of my life. The one server helping us (Lionece) was phenomenal however, the female manager was horrible. We could hear yelling and arguing the entire time we were dining. We were not sure what was going on in the kitchen but the manager was screaming. Additionally, we waited more than 2 hours for our orders only to receive cold and wrong orders. Lastly, we asked to speak with the manager and she requested us to come downstairs to her. After I eventually asked her to come again upstairs to speak with us, she came up very frustrated and snatched a bill out of my hands in front of others. Lastly, she gave me the wrong email for you however, I included both to ensure you receive it. As a result of this horrendous experience, I missed my entire birthday photoshoot due to it taking so long to receive cold food. Again the manager (female) was horrible and rude. She did not care that I was going to contact you. Lastly, I have not returned since this event and many of my friends witnessed on their first visit the horrendous experience. Although this happened months ago, I'm still very disappointed and my special day was ruined. I couldn't get back the money I lost for missing my scheduled photoshoot nor the time my friends and I wasted. I have yet to return.

Date of visit: January 2021
1  Thank c0rdarah
Reviewed 19 October 2020 via mobile

Great casual restaurant in the heart of downtown Raleigh. Food was delicious and reasonably priced. Service by Cameron was impeccable! Overall a great experience!

Date of visit: October 2020