“Dinner at Pool's Diner”

Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner
Neighbourhood: Depot Historic District
Reviewed 8 December 2019

I was looking forward to eating at Pool's after hearing good things about this location as well as the many other restaurants by Ashley Christensen. I will say out of all of my dining experiences in Raleigh this was the least of my favorites. I was seated right inside the door at the bar which was a bad choice due to the cold weather and being right next to the door. Get a seat further back in the dining room for sure regardless. The food was good but my scallops were charred on the edges and only seared on one side which I found unusual. I asked the server and he said that's how the chef wanted it so I moved on to my meal. I had the chicken pate as an appetizer and that was great with an onion jam, just be sure to ask for more toast points.

Reviewed 5 December 2019 via mobile

Probably a way to minimize the annoying seating plan. First come seating. All full at opening for seating. Bar is open early so coming early for pricey drinks a winner for the house. When tables are filled they open bar seating.
Famous for Mac and Cheese. It is really good. We spli the short ribs. Friend had the pork which I sampled. OK but not as good.
Original location has become too small...at least for Saturday.

Reviewed 20 November 2019

We stayed at the Marriot and needed a close place to eat. Poole's was a wonderful surprise, much nicer than we expected, wonderful atmosphere, and extremely attentive staff. Would definitely eat there again. Maybe a little more expensive than I expected, but totally worth it. I would highly recommend this for a special romantic meal.

Reviewed 17 November 2019 via mobile

You need to get there before 5 as they don’t take reservations and you hang in bar area till 5:30 where we enjoyed delicious cocktails. Our dinners were fantastic, scallops, chicken and everything was first rate. Free parking across the street. I can’t wait to go back again

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed 14 November 2019 via mobile

Love this place but this time not so much. My wife’s was great butternut squash and crab salad. I had tasteless red snapper. Chocolate cake was dry not to my personal. Preference. Will go back just Had the wrong thing this time. The butternut squash soap was great service was exceptional as usual.