“Exceptional "special occasion" restaurant”
Review of Rey's Restaurant

Price range: US$41 - US$80
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 18 September 2021

We visited Rey's last night for our adult son's birthday. He had never been there; but was in the mood for a special dining experience. My husband and I had only been there once-about a decade ago. We were rushed that night (kid at a birthday party at the roller rink next door)-and I regret that this somehow hasn't been in our "special occasion" restaurant rotation for all these years.
Everything was exceptional. Food, service, ambiance.
Adrian was our waiter; but there was a team that made sure that our water glasses stayed full; and our (regretfully) empty plates were cleared.
Highlights were apps, sides, lamb, steak, oysters, bread, wine list, dessert;....:)
Rey and Company are gonna be seeing a lot of us in the future!

Date of visit: September 2021
Write a reviewReviews (266)

Reviewed 17 September 2021

Been there 3 times and ate at the bar each time. Very friendly with great food and service. Portions are plentiful and everything good (caesar salad, New Orleans shrimp (Mr. B's is better, sorry! :)), and a great filet this last time.

Date of visit: September 2021
Reviewed 31 July 2021

I had heard so many good things but experienced the exact opposite. Disclaimer-lived in New Orleans for many years and know fine dining. Food was incredibly bland-fish was not fresh plus the presentation was terrible. My plate looked like I was being served puréed fancy feast. My bf had filet and it was served almost raw when he had asked for medium, but we couldn’t find a server to switch it out. We still paid an astronomical amount of $$ ($250) and it was a complete waste. The owner should be embarrassed by our experience!

Date of visit: July 2021
1  Thank 984jenm
Reviewed 26 June 2021

We aren't from the Raleigh area, but our friends are, and we'd eaten at Rey's before and had a disappointing time, but this time our food was very good. Other than being seated by and looking into the kitchen, and it was a busy night, so our server was abrupt but OK. They have a nice wine list and I did get a good Belvedere Martini with blue cheese olives, take was a plus. We had the wedge salad, which was very good. My wife had the Rack of Lamb that was cooked just as she ordered it and I had the Veal Marsala and that too was very good. Our friends had the Flounder, and they thought it was very good too. Maybe if we were seated elsewhere and had a more friendly server, it would have been a better experience. Rey's can be very good, but I think they just get overwhelmed.

Date of visit: June 2021
1  Thank Richard A
Reviewed 25 May 2021

Yeah the service was great but the food not, Ruth Chris is better.

Lamb is supposed to be tender, gross mint sauce that destroys your taste buds. Such a disappointment since we've put off going here for years

Date of visit: April 2021