“We Had An Enjoyable Time”
Review of Rey's Restaurant

Price range: US$41 - US$80
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 26 June 2021

We aren't from the Raleigh area, but our friends are, and we'd eaten at Rey's before and had a disappointing time, but this time our food was very good. Other than being seated by and looking into the kitchen, and it was a busy night, so our server was abrupt but OK. They have a nice wine list and I did get a good Belvedere Martini with blue cheese olives, take was a plus. We had the wedge salad, which was very good. My wife had the Rack of Lamb that was cooked just as she ordered it and I had the Veal Marsala and that too was very good. Our friends had the Flounder, and they thought it was very good too. Maybe if we were seated elsewhere and had a more friendly server, it would have been a better experience. Rey's can be very good, but I think they just get overwhelmed.

Date of visit: June 2021
1  Thank Richard A

Reviewed 25 May 2021

Yeah the service was great but the food not, Ruth Chris is better.

Lamb is supposed to be tender, gross mint sauce that destroys your taste buds. Such a disappointment since we've put off going here for years

Date of visit: April 2021
1  Thank Lunalivesgood
Reviewed 18 May 2021 via mobile

My daughter and SIL, and our two grandsons took my husband and I out to dinner for my birthday. We went a week early, as we were going out of town.
The atmosphere was peaceful, classy, elegant. Our table was toward the left back and there was a delightful fire going in the fireplace. Our grandsons are accustomed to nice things and fine dining. It had been awhile though with Covid since they had been out, too and both commented on how very nice the restaurant looked.
We ordered drinks, appetizers, many different entrees and each were wonderfully delicious. In addition, our desserts were equally as good; Cream Brulee, and cherry and banana fosters jubilee, ablaze at table side. The boys enjoyed this, as well. By the way, they were well mannered and carried on delightful conversation with our servers!

The other day, a normal weeknight, the youngest pops up, he's seven, and says let's go to Rey's for dinner!
You can not go wrong for any meal or special occasion here! An exceptional evening and birthday celebration!

Date of visit: February 2021
Reviewed 26 April 2021

My husband and I made reservations a few days ahead of time. We have eaten at Rey's a few weeks ago and had enjoyed it, so we decided to go again. When we arrived, we had to wait quite a while only to be offered a table in the bar instead of the dining room. The hostess had been asked by quite a few other people who, like us, had made reservations, and were told that there were a lot of large groups, so they didn't have any tables. Not really a good excuse in our book, as a restaurant of this caliper should be able to adequately schedule their reservations.

I happen to be vegan, but my husband is a true carnivore. That being said, I looked online where they advertise "vegan options", but called ahead to see if something other than the vegetable plate could be prepared for me. It seems to be all that is ever offered to us vegans at these high end restaurants. The hostess said that there is a pasta dish on the menu and that it is vegetarian. I then asked if there was egg in the pasta and she put me on hold to find out for me. When she returned to the line I was told, "The pasta does have egg in it and they have no other pasta in the restaurant." Nothing else was offered to me. Hoping that at least there would be some good bread and salad to compliment my meal, we decided go anyway, and my husband looked forward to a great steak.

After being seated, our drink order was taken in a decent amount of time by a waitress. It took 25 minutes for our wine to arrive so we decided to air on the side of caution and go ahead and place our dinner order when the wine was finally delivered.

While waiting on our drinks, bread was delivered to the table by another waiter. At this point, we weren't quite sure if they were both our waitstaff or if it was just one of them. The bread was already toasted with butter on it, so I asked for bread without butter (I don;t eat dairy), and the waiter went off to the kitchen. He returned to let us know that all the bread had been prepared that way before the shift and that unfortunately this often happens on Sunday night and they didn't have any other bread. We now realized why all the bread had been toasted...great way to disguise day old bread...toast it and add some melted butter. Ok, so much for the good bread to compliment my meal!

I ordered a salad, which came about 20 minutes later. It was very good, and my husband and I shared it.

Almost an hour later our meal still had not arrived and we decided to catch the waiter and find out what was going on. We had hired a sitter, and although we had given ample time for dinner, we didn't think we would be home as promised. A few minutes later, our meals arrived. My husband's steak was very undercooked, and my potatoes were overcooked. At this point, we had to eat in a hurry and didn't have time to say anything to have it all corrected. My husband ate from the edge of his $50 steak and I ate some of my potatoes and veggie platter and we had our food boxed to go home and asked for the check asap.

The waiter apologized and offered a free dessert to be sent home with us for having to wait so long. Since nothing vegan is offered (the waiter kind of nervously joked/smiled), my husband took a cheesecake and we hurried on home...late.

I don't think we will ever go back.

Overall:
1) Fix your reservation system so you can seat those who you promised a table.
2) Wait staff not attentive enough to see that it was taking way too long for our drinks and meals to arrive.
3) Temperature in the bar area was too cold, and there was an air vent pointing directly down on us cranking away the whole time.
4) No bread left because it's Sunday? No excuse! Figure it out and plan accordingly.
5) Get with the program! This is 2021. Not all of us eat meat or dairy, yet our spouses do. Have some options on the menu for those that don't...or offer to make something.

Date of visit: April 2021
2  Thank mydealsoffers
Reviewed 14 March 2021

Last night I took my wife to Rey’s. I had eaten there years ago and I wanted to take my wife out to a nice spot! Food looked great but tasted so bland!! Salt and pepper will go a long way if used! We boxed up our ribeye and pork chops only to come home and recook with seasonings. Almost 200 spent and still have to recook it to be able to eat and ENJOY! Never going again! They cook the food specifically for the majority crowd tastebuds which require no season! Did want to complain in front of a room of white people, didn’t want them to think I was trying to get something for free!

Date of visit: March 2021