“Come for the decorations stay for the food!”
Review of The Angus Barn

The Angus Barn
Ranked #12 of 1,497 Restaurants in Raleigh
Price range: US$41 - US$80
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Angus Barn Steakhouse, a Raleigh icon serving American style cuisine including in-house aged steaks, fresh seafood, local grown vegetables and homemade desserts prepared by Iron Chef America winner, Walter J. Royal, and his staff. The Barn hosts an award winning wine cellar, the famous Wild Turkey Lounge, Meat Locker smoking lounge, private dining tables, banquet rooms and two private event venues. The Pavilion at the Angus Barn & Bay 7 at American Tobacco Campus in Durham, North Carolina.
Reviewed 22 November 2022 via mobile

I’ve been dining here on special occasions for 40 years, but have never been while the Christmas decorations were up, so we decided to celebrate our daughter coming home for Thanksgiving break! Even with a reservation (made months is advance) there was still a short wait, so we had time to explore and take photos. Still love the crackers and cheese, the relish tray, the delicious spinach salad, shrimp cocktail, lobster with drawn butter and masked potatoes. Flirtini cocktail still yummy, and also tried the Tito limoncello one. Usually love the chocolate pie heated up with vanilla ice cream on top, but did not have room. Thank goodness they provide the recipe since my husband makes a fabulous version!

Reviewed 13 November 2022

In the fifty plus years that we have been going to the Angus Barn, since college days, some things remain the same and some change.

What remains the same is the quality of the food, the service and seeing their Christmas decorations for the first time. Their meat selections remain legendary and for good reason...nothing tops their Chateaubriand.

What has changed is we did not finish our meals for the first time and we needed to take food home with us.

Don't miss an opportunity to visit the Angus Barn.

Reviewed 8 November 2022

If you're a sophisticated person who knows fine dining and doesn't like kitschy, contrived "theme" places and cringe at the thought of paying top dollar for the pleasure of what felt like it should be named "Hoedown Steak House by Disney" -- this is not the "culinary experience" for you.

This place is beyond odd. It's an old barn that has somehow succeeded in convincing man in the area that the equivalent of Morton's -- but, you know, with hay bales and jam jars and burlap and TONS of Angus Barn "ye olde tyme giftie shoppe company" souvenir items for sale at exorbitant prices.

It's a VAST and extremely expensive steak house and one of its much-touted "claims to fame" is their extensive wine cellar. The service is like kids who were trained at Chick-Fil-A -- overly friendly and no idea of fine dining service -- which is appropriate because this is "fine dining" for people who have never actually experienced it.

ABSURDLY overpriced. The food is ok -- but as this is clearly "a place" --you''ll pay TOP prices for this, er "unique experience."

My niece and nephew, who grew up here, took me here as a treat. I felt really bad because it was a LOT of money for them...and I was trying not to yell "You're SERIOUS?!" the entire time.

So NO way that I am putting down the culinary offerings available in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area!

I've had some of the best fish and shellfish I've ever had in my life (I'm 65 and have lived in San Francisco and Dublin, Ireland all my life) -- and I'm not talking deep fried (which I don't care for). I mean things like scallops that cook in about 1 minute and are extremely difficult not to overcook and still get to the table hot. Shout out to Squid's Restaurant (1201 Fordham Blvd, near Meadowmont) and to Cape Fear restaurant -- both were truly masterful in their knowledge of how to prepare seafood.

I've had excellent Italian food at Palio restaurant on Franklin St about a mile away from UNC. I've had great Thai food. And been to places where hushpuppies were such a work of art that you just wanted to throw your napkin down and say "Good GOD, how do they transform cornmeal into these?!" (Squid's was one...another was a mom-and-pop "country kitchen" we stopped at on the way out to see Lindley Mill battlefield site near Graham).

But if the meal was free, I wouldn't go back to this place again.

Date of visit: October 2022
1  Thank Ileftmyheart
Reviewed 7 November 2022

We were unable to get a reservation before 8:30, but went to the restaurant at 5:30 and got on the wait list which was barely a 5 minute wait. Most of the time I have went here, I did not have a reservation. This restaurant never disappoints in quality of food and service, but this time, they had decorated for Christmas and the amount of decoration is astounding. The décor is what I would call Country Elegant.

Date of visit: October 2022
1  Thank jeffreybD5046JD
Reviewed 6 November 2022 via mobile

A dinner at Angus barn restaurant has been a tradition in North Carolina for many years, my family alone at least 40 years, A place to celebrate all kinds of special occasions or just for a good meal.Have not been back since Covid decided to give it a try as we’ve always enjoyed it in the past. Unfortunately those days are gone as is the complementary apple you would grab as you exit the restaurant having enjoyed a delicious meal. We ordered drinks which were good. Wait staff did their job.Salad was premade in a bowl that looked like you would feed your dogs in, stainless steel. I ordered the salmon blackened, arrived with a gray color to the top which I discovered was table salt, I guess the cook didn’t know what blackened was.. Inedible. My dining companion ordered prime rib, large serving but bit tough. They still provide a taste of the complementary cheese and crackers of days gone by. We had to ask for bread even though it’s written on the menu that bread is provided. Traditionally they’ve always had complementary relish dish, never showed up at our table but we noted other tables had them it was kind of hit or miss. Turns out you have to ask for the relish dish. OK now we’re asking for bread and we’re asking for a relish dish both highlights of days gone by. Decorations in the restaurant are beautiful good photo op but special occasion or even just having dinner no way not at the price they are now charging. Too many other restaurants in Raleigh where I can get a good steak. And please don’t blame it on Covid.

3  Thank PamRDU

Been to The Angus Barn? Share your experiences!