“Twice in One Week”

Ranked #10 of 1,595 Restaurants in Raleigh
Price range: HK$117 - HK$235
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Glenwood South
Description: Taverna Agora is an authentic Greek kitchen & bar where friends & family enjoy good wine, eat wonderfully prepared, simple food and relax. The restaurant is reminiscent of gathering places found in Greece, with old world flavors and rustic roots. However, Taverna Agora expands beyond the traditional agora with a few modern flares, including hand-crafted cocktails, a gourmet marketplace and Sunday brunch.
Reviewed 2 July 2015

Taverna Agora, a Greek kitchen and bar adjacent to the Holiday Inn Downtown Raleigh, is apparently relatively new to this location. We made reservations the day before we planned to dine there, and I'm glad we did. Our first stop, after confirming our reservation, was the rooftop bar, where my wife had a glass of Spanish sparkling wine and I had a Greek lemonade, consisting of vodka, lemonade, blueberries, mint, and basil. After drinks, we went downstairs to the restaurant, where we were shown our table. My wife ordered the grilled salmon and I had a Greek salad, which my wife shared, followed by lamb tips and orzo. Following the main course, which was washed down with some Greek wine – my wife had white and I had red – we ordered dessert. My wife had the baklava with limoncello and I ordered the limoncello cake with ouzo. The service was friendly and attentive and the food was delicious. This is a popular place, and for good reason. The following evening we returned to to this restaurant for drinks on the rooftop bar. This, too, was a pleasant experience. Reservations are strongly recommended.

1  Thank CJTravelerTexas

Reviewed 25 June 2015

Our family had a great Father's Day brunch at Taverna Agora in downtown Raleigh. Needless to say, the restaurant was busy so food prep was a bit slow and you could tell it was a fairly new restaurant, so the servicers were still getting in learning mode. Nevertheless, the meal was wonderful. Everyone loved their lunch item (Eggs Benedict, lamb burger, gyro pitas, and French Toast), along with the appetizer, Greek Spreads Trio. I loved their French Toast, which was dipped in Limencello Batter with hint of cinnamon. Since the serving was large, everyone got to sample my item and then understood my moans of delight. Everyone agreed with me that it's the best French Toast they've ever tasted. To be sure, I look forward to returning to Taverna Agora!

2  Thank Meritas
Reviewed 21 June 2015 via mobile

I was so excited when this place opened a few weeks ago. It's in a great location downtown and Raleigh hasn't had a good Greek restaurant. I had dinner there last night and will not be going back. The food was uninspired, not even average, way over salted, and reminded me of something you'd eat at an airport chain restaurant. Ugh. My advice is to stay away from this turkey.

Reviewed 22 April 2015

I always enjoy trying out locally owned places. Taverna Agora is a place that everyone in or near Raleigh needs to experience. It is small and quaint but the atmosphere is wonderful, the service is top notch, and the food is magnificent. I travel to Raleigh regularly now and will always try to get here. Every dish I've tried is wonderful. Can't say enough about it. I've heard they are opening a new one down town. Can't wait to try it!!

Date of visit: April 2015
2  Thank Peter W
Reviewed 18 March 2015

This place is awesome! Authentic Greek fare with reasonable prices. It's hard to recommend just one dish! The spicy feta appetizer, the lemon chicken orzo soup, the pork chops, the lamb chops... this is what we had between my husband and I, and every last bit of it was absolutely delicious!

If you still have room (ask for a doggie bag for that lamb tips and orzo) because the best is yet to come. Two words... Baklava Cheesecake. A homemade dessert made directly from the Heavens!

Whether your out for a fun night with friends or a romantic dinner for two, this place is perfect!

On a side note, at some point they're moving downtown Raleigh. Wherever they're located they're worth the trip!!!

Date of visit: March 2015