“Another Delicious Dinner At Hayes Barton Cafe!”

Hayes Barton Cafe and Dessertery
Ranked #4 of 56 Dessert in Raleigh
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Hayes Barton Historic District
Reviewed 20 July 2022

Went there for my birthday last week and was not disappointed. We had a Key Lime Martini and it was fabulous! For my dinner I had the special Salmon cakes they were yummy. Others had the Dial M for Meatloaf and it was a huge portion. Also served were the Pork Tenderloin Medallions. And of course we had dessert, which is always delicious.
In fact it was so good were are taking friend there tomorrow who have never been.

Date of visit: July 2022
Write a reviewReviews (188)

Reviewed 7 December 2020

Years ago this was our favorite restaurant in Raleigh. We move away and are now back. We hadn't been here in years and gave it another visit. There were six of us and, despite Covid, we had a very enjoyable meal. Everyone enjoyed their meals. We had two servings of dessert and the cake slices were huge. It was easy to split amongst the six of us. Pre-Covid this place was packed and the atmosphere was very vibrant. It is now more subdued because of Covid. Despite recent reviews we've read, we recommend Hayes Barton Cafe and will return very soon.

Date of visit: December 2020
Reviewed 26 March 2020

The owner of this place is the most rude and offensive person I've ever encountered in a public establishment. He is pompous and arrogant. STAY AWAY - just absolutely awful establishment

3  Thank rsgunther
Reviewed 10 March 2020

I've been for dessert and I've been for lunch, but never for dinner. This was quite an experience from waiting in line at 6pm before it opened (thank goodness we had a reservation) to putting in our dessert order with our dinner order to make sure we got what we wanted... I was with 8 girlfriends and we sat in the back corner by the kitchen. I shared the Bella Linguine with a friend and it was fantastic. Like one of the best dinners I've ever had anywhere. The bread before is fantastic. Wow, everything is just so good! For dessert I had the raspberry cake and it was so good too! We passed all of our desserts around the table to share and I'm so glad I got what I did, but it was delightful to taste some of the others! I will be back with my husband for a date night!

1  Thank Victoria B
Reviewed 8 February 2020 via mobile

Good pork medallions, great award-winning coconut cake, and fast service. A homey environment with the restaurant’s history all over the walls, it certainly felt like a great spot for a nice, casual bite to eat in Five Points. We had high hopes from the get-go because of the ample amount of good reviews. I live fairly close by, love the neighborhood, and it seemed like a place I would eat at again later, perhaps with my spouse or visiting friends, etc.

I wish I could leave it at that, but only in an attempt to leave an honest review for others, and in hopes the management would try to avoid this next time, I’ll share the unfortunate part of the experience, too.

We felt rushed from the start by our (to be fair - otherwise kind) waiter who came to our table so frequently to check on our next move that it was pretty obvious she didn’t want us to take our time and enjoy the meal. Then, at the end of the meal, soon after we paid, the manager stopped by with a brief greeting, and asked us to “do him a favor”, telling us he needed our table because he had a big party waiting. Indirectly but oh so obviously, he was asking us to leave. Not even an “I’m sorry to have to ask this”, or an “I appreciate you choosing to dine with us”, not even an offer of one measly slice of complimentary pie to ease the fact that he had just asked customers to leave for no good reason except that he wanted to more comfortably fit in some later arriving party. We are all respectful and friendly people, and we had already tipped well after buying big entrees, drinks, and desserts (5 desserts for a table of 4, I’d add), and none of us made even a little bit of fuss. No weird extra requests, no complaints. I can objectively say we were pretty good customers to have. However, we’re also not going to stay where we aren’t wanted, so we just left and spent more money getting more drinks elsewhere.

In my several years working in restaurants, I have never EVER told a customer to leave or even heard another coworker or manager do so. (The exceptions being obvious - i.e. a customer outright harassing someone.) My issues with this are many in number:

1. Incredibly tacky and rude to ask your customers to leave because you didn’t plan your reservations well. So if you make that call, at least express some self-awareness and apology. One “sorry” and slice of free pie could’ve made a world of difference.
2. It was a special occasion (a birthday) for which we made a reservation in advance. We had been there for an hour and a half, and were already wrapping things up, had paid, etc. I don’t think it’s unreasonable that we would stay there for that amount of time, or even if we had stayed for two hours since we had paid for multiple courses and extra beverages. I might’ve sympathized a little more if we had only had water and some light food, and sat around for an hour after.

With all that being said, I don’t really feel like we should need to justify. I merely included all the fine details so you, the potential customer of this business, could make a more informative decision about where you’d like to pay to eat. And hopefully, you, the manager of this business, better plan your reservations and avoid asking good customers to leave.

2  Thank W2010QKrachell