“This was the best Vegan Food”
Review of Fiction Kitchen

Fiction Kitchen
Ranked #25 of 1,487 Restaurants in Raleigh
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Depot Historic District
Reviewed 26 January 2020 via mobile

This was the best Vegan Food I’ve ever had at a restaurant. The people were friendly and the wait was long but for good reason, it was excellent. Our server, Johnna was fantastic.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (209)

Reviewed 22 January 2020 via mobile

Came in on a Tuesday night and tried the “Chicken” and Waffles. I’m new to the plant based diet so I really didn’t know what to expect.

The waffles were what you’d expect but the chicken was surprisingly good. Sure, it’s soy and wheat but they did a really good job “frying” it and giving it a crunchy chicken like texture. It came in a spicy sweet chili sauce and some “syrup” and was topped with arugula and surrounded by thinly sliced apples.

I really enjoyed the meal even if the faux chicken got a bit less chickeny with each bite. Eat while it’s piping hot and fool your brain.

The service was swift and friendly. I’ll definitely return and explore more of the menu.

2  Thank 193jaya
Reviewed 8 January 2020 via mobile

Best meatless BBQ I’ve ever had! You don’t often find Eastern NC style meatless bbq, much less find it as delicious as this. Highly recommend for when you find yourself missing that vinegar based bbq.

Reviewed 26 December 2019

I just moved to the area, so a vegan restaurant in North Carolina sounded intriguing. Only thing was when I arrived at 4:25 PM, right before their opening time at 4:30 PM, there were 3 homeless people sitting on a painted box right in front smoking. Then, when the restaurant opened, there was a long wait to be seated. First impression: this restaurant has some issues. Eventually, a staff member went outside and, politely, asked the people to move along.

I ordered the tempeh and grits, which was delicious, a nice combination of southern and vegan cooking. They offer desserts, as well, but I didn't partake.

Atmosphere is "hippy"-ish, including the decor. The price is not low (surprising, given the decor), but was not exorbitant either. Overall, not a bad place, but they really need to deal with some of these service concerns.

Date of visit: December 2019
5  Thank Ddan7777
Reviewed 12 December 2019

This was my first time at Fiction Kitchen; a vegetarian coworker recommended it. I am not vegan or vegetarian, but decided to check it out based on her strong recommendation. Was not disappointed! In fact, it turned out to be one of the nicest evenings I've had at a restaurant in some time.

I ordered the seitan-based "brisket" with grits, a side order of fried green tomatoes, and coffee. The brisket was recommended by an enthusiastic diner sitting next to me. :) They made me a fresh pot of coffee, and I chatted with the staff while the order was in. The place was full on a Wednesday night in December, so I sat at the bar.

The food was excellent - nicely seasoned, well presented and ample. I have at times been disappointed by vegan dishes that are either too bland or based on a "faux meat" - but the brisket was very tasty, with the right touch of spices and vegetables, and a smoky flavor. The fried green tomatoes were just the way I liked them, not greasy at all, and topped with a pepper jelly.

Best surprise of all? The staff. I interacted with four servers in all, and each was super-friendly and took the time to talk with me and make me - a solo diner - feel welcome. The atmosphere and food were great, but having such a welcoming crew made all the difference. I would highly recommend this place.

Date of visit: December 2019