“Great family outing”

Carolina Raptor Center
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Talk a Walk on the Wild Side at Carolina Raptor Center What will you find on your walk around the 3/4 mile Raptor Trail? Over 30 species of raptors and other birds of prey are featured on this walk on the wild side. Owls and Vultures. Hawks and Eagles. Falcons, Corvids and other species that just don't fall into any of these categories. Have you seen a Bald Eagle up close? The Raptor Trail features a nesting pair of Bald Eagles who live out back in the Eagle Aviary. Our Spectacled Owl just can't wait to tell you what she thinks about living here at CRC, but you might have to listen carefully to what she has to say - she's a shy one. Did you know that Vultures and Corvids are some of the smartest birds around. No bird brains here! Lots of human mythology surrounds both of these families of avian brainiacs. Crows have been known to drop nuts into crosswalks so that cars can crack them and then wait for the light to change and retrieve the goodies! Behind the scenes at CRC is our Raptor Hospital, where we see approximately 900 raptor patients a year (please no songbirds or possums!). If you can't make our behind the scenes tour, don't worry, the exhibit "A Day in the Life of a Raptor Hospital" will show you what goes on there - day and night.
Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

This place is a really cool place to visit as a family. It is good for all age kids. It is appropriate for couples as well. Very well maintained.

Reviewed 4 September 2017

This was my first visit here, I loved it. I am a huge Eagle lover along with all of these wonderful creations of God. The staff was excellent, friendly, and involved to make our visit the best ever. Jana, was our guide and did a great job. But I am a little disappointed in her at the end because she promised I could take a Bald Eagle home and it would be ready for me when I left. That didn't happen. FYI: I am just kidding about Jana, she was excellent!

CarolinaRaptorCenter, Manager at Carolina Raptor Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

Jayna is a great addition to our staff. She has been a camper and volunteer at the Raptor Center for many years (13!). We love growing Raptor kids! Sorry that you had to leave the Bald Eagles in their enclosure. I guarantee you, the novelty of owning one would wear off quickly; they are pretty high maintenance. :-) Come back and see us soon!

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Learned a lot about raptors and local Hawks, owls and vultures. The Center has a hospital to treat injured birds so that they can eventually be released back into the wild. The Eagles are spectacular. Seeing a variety of raptors close up at the raptor show was fun and educational. The location nestled in Latta Plantation is beautiful if you love the outdoors. I will definitely be returning sometime soon.

Thanks for your kind words! So glad you had a wonderful visit. Come back soon!

Reviewed 3 September 2017

I’ve recently become interested in raptors thanks to webcams featuring Eagles and Ospreys, so thought it would be good to check out the Raptor Center. I had purchased tickets for the flight show, but the show owl had other plans and was not available the Sunday I visited. A bit disappointing at first, but we were lucky enough to be at the eagle exhibit when the errant owl (Dumbledore) decided to come back to the gloved hand that fed him! It was actually great to see the owl high in a tree, then fly to a couple of close tree limbs before settling on the trainer’s glove.

All of the birds are beautiful.Understandably some are a bit shy and hang out toward the back of their enclosure, but you would be, too if you were in the cage with people gawking at you all day long! We spent a couple of hours walking to all of the exhibits. They’re all outdoors, but it’s an easy stroll and often shaded. There are plenty of benches to rest on if needed, or you just want to watch a bird. I think it’s unusual, but there were no docents on the trail the Sunday we were there. It would have been nice to have a few experts placed around the exhibits to talk to about the birds, but it didn’t detract from the experience.

It’s definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed 1 September 2017

The Raptor Center is a great place to enjoy nature and learn about the birds. It is very large with well-maintained walkways in a wooded area. There are often volunteer docents with exhibits on the trails. Flight shows on weekends are a real treat. There are numerous activities and events many of them giving you close up access to the birds. You can even book a birthday party or participate in a raptor release. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. Highly recommend for all ages.

1  Thank clcline2016