Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews great campground fire pit ocean beach both sides sites sound rv hookups roomy avon
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 November 2020 via mobile

Traveling up from Florida, we had big expectations of Cape Hatteras. We booked a 4 night stay at Frisco Woods Campground. Those expectations were really dashed. First impressions are key when traveling to different destinations. Upon arrival, we were pointed in the direction of our site. No designated help which is common at ALL other RV resorts, When we got to our site, it was full of bicycles and paddle boards from the neighbors RV. Definitely, no room for us! We called the office and were told pick another site! Da! We ordered that site on the water!
The site we chose instead wasn’t much better. After setting up we found there was no cable connection.
After being on the road all day we decided to stay! Big mistake.
About 1am we awoke to loud signing that lasted over an hour. Our dogs didn’t appreciate that and neither did we.
Our minds were made up after being woken up. We are leaving.
The restrooms were dirty. I found 1 container to throw away trash? At the main entrance.
When I spoke to Stacey, assistant to the owner, I told her what we had experienced. Her answer was that we could change sites. She also informed me the police had been called because of other problems on the campground.
We left 3 days early. Stacy did not mention any compensation for money we paid in advance. We are hoping that upper management will realize the problems we had and compensate us for 3 days.

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank 58randyt
Reviewed 28 June 2020

The place is a dump. I’m sorry, but you can see a sunset from just about anywhere and don’t need to expose yourself to this hell hole. The place is trashy. Like, I’m not usually a judgemental person, but cmon... Fireworks, people arguing loudly and yelling at their kids, dirty facilities (even during a global pandemic! You know... because COVID doesn’t reach the outer banks). No one wearing a mask in a close public setting, ie bathrooms, even after a governor mandate. Confederate flags, you name it. This place produces and tolerates a lot of trash— Literally and figuratively. Let’s be honest, it’s a campsite for a specific sector of America. What a disappointment, the outer banks...

Date of stay: June 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank PilgrimNomadz
Reviewed 20 June 2020 via mobile

I would advise everyone to pay attention to the posts here about how the staff at this campground acts towards their paying customers. They are very rude and short with you for sure. I believe I meet the manager/owner some others have commented on who had no problem letting us know that he was totally aggravated by having to fill a propane bottle. It was only 6 pm the store was open until 8 pm. Not sure what his problem was but it sounds like thats normal behavior there. Never going there again.

Date of stay: June 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Trucksto
Reviewed 7 November 2019

It was a beautiful campground with roomy sites on the sound. We had reserved a site but hadn't been there before so they allowed us to look at what was available when we arrived. We selected a full hookup and had space on both sides, with an area next to us that wasn't occupied so we could walk our dog. The site was on the water and the sunsets from it were breathtaking.

Bathrooms are clean, but you do need to bring your own fire pit. Only 2m from ocean beach access, stores and restaurants nearby.

Date of stay: October 2019
1  Thank Terri D
Reviewed 24 September 2019

I booked a cabin a month in advance of a weekend trip for 9/13 -9/15. Around 9/4 - 9/5 Hurricane Dorian wound up and had the east coast of NC in its sights. On 9/4 I began calling the campground to inquire about the possibility that the trip may be cancelled due to the approaching storm, closure and cancelling and refund. Of course there was no answer, however I did leave a message indicating that if there was an impact by the storm that affected the area we would NOT be making the trip and that I would want a refund for the deposit they charged at the time of reservation. I live in an area also affected by the same storm, however I continued to check their website, social media and to call their telephone number more than 30 times to inquire about the status of the grounds.

The following are social media posts with times and dates. These posts are vague and unclear. And because they were unresponsive for more than a week by phone and email I was uncertain if I would have a place to stay. NOTHING IN THESE POSTS INDICATES I WOULD. and again they would not respond via email or telephone.

September 10 at 8:13 AM ·
Good morning!
We are still under restricted access. No visitors are allowed South of Avon at this time. We are currently cleaning and repairing the damage. Please be patient. If you had a reservation during this time, you will automatically be refunded once we get full phone service and internet access. We are just as disappointed as you are!
We appreciate everyone’s well wishes. It keeps our spirits up and keeps us moving! Thank you FWC Friends!

September 10 at 7:12 PM ·
Lots of cleaning.Lots of repairs. Lots of cleaning. We were not able to be in the office to answer the phone. We were getting ready! We will be partially open when Dare County allows you to return! Please keep in mind the pool and some of the cabins will not be open. Understand we have had a huge devastating storm. There is a lot of debris and damaged items on the side of the road, islanders still cleaning, some restaurants & shops may not be open. It is shocking and humbling that this is such a resilient island. We are grateful you want to visit! Just please be patient & respectful. We look forward to seeing you soon!

September 12 at 6:29 AM ·
Good morning FWC friends!
Re-entry will begin today at 12pm and we are open! Some of our sites, some of our cabins, the pool, laundry facilities and wi-fi will not be available. If you have reservations for a specific site, we will do everything within our power to accommodate you. We want you to have a great vacation just please be patient. With that said...WELCOME BACK!!

Frisco Woods Campground shared a video.
September 14 at 8:02 AM ·
It has been a LONG week. We are grateful for the staff, friends and neighbors that we have! We worked hard as a team cleaning & repairing and welcomed back our very understanding guests! Happy to say...we made it through another one!
#Hatterasstrong

After reading the posts and not being able to make any contact whatsoever it was obvious to me I needed to make alternate plans.

I did end up in Frico, and I decide to swing by the campground to see the damage and possibly talk to someone about my refund. Staff and or the manager were at the site in the office / store. I pulled in to the parking area and asked if they were open and the response was "does it look like it ?" I drove through the grounds, the area was flooded, cabins with mattresses stacked outside, cabin doors open and fans in the door ways. I thought to myself these people are probably tired and stressed from the mess left behind so I decided not to bother them about a refund at that time.

Once home on the 16th I decided to call back to inquire about a refund for the deposit. I got an employee that was bitter, abrasive and rude. She said she would leave a message for the manager and she would call me back. I didn't hear back so I called again on the 23rd and the manager answered, she may have been the employee I spoke to the week earlier, she was nasty. Basically told me to pound sand on the refund.

Needless to say I will NEVER step foot on that property ever again. There are plenty of better options with nicer staff and management in that area.

Date of stay: September 2019
1  Thank GetWeat
slf1552, Manager at Frisco Woods Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2019

We are very sorry you are upset that you did not get a refund but we have a voicemail from you stating that you will still be arriving for your reserved cabin. We prepared the cabin you reserved based on that information. You would not be eligible for a refund after vocally confirming your arrival date that you were still going to arrive.