“Average hotel, unauthorized charge”

Best Western New Baltimore Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in West Coxsackie
Reviewed 25 May 2017

This hotel charged me $150 extra without informing me. I found it out only when I looked at my credit card monthly statement. I thought it was a duplicated room charge. I called the hotel, the front desk told me it was not room charge. It was for something broken in the room. I asked for explanation and I was told only the manager knows and the manager was not available. So I was asked to leave my phone number so the manager would call me back. I waited for a month and didn't hear anything. So I called again. The same gentleman at the front desk answered my phone. He said the manager was busy and couldn't talk to me. He promised this time the manager would call me back. The manager didn't call me back either. But a couple days later I received an email with a photo of broken closet door. There was no single word. I am a seasoned traveler. I always inspect my room at check in and check out for anything broken, anything dirty, and to make sure not to leave anything behind. I know I didn't break the closet door. So I called Bestwestern customer service to contest the charge. A corporate customer rep called back the second day saying that a hotel employee cleaning the room found that the closet door was broken so it must be me who damaged the door. The question is, why didn't hotel contact me on the same day about the damage? Why did the hotel impose the charge days later without the basic courtesy of informing me? I have been traveling for over 30 years and stayed in countless hotels. Such a bizarre incident never happened to me before. I will never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: The two story building has no elevator
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Harry N, General Manager at Best Western New Baltimore Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2017

Dear yufeimail
Thank you for you review. I am sorry for any misunderstanding regarding this situation.
I would like to take this opportunity to share our hotel's policy regarding our preparation and release of rooms to sell. Our housekeepers enter rooms at checkout and note and report any problems to the property manager. It is at that point that additional charges for smoking or broken and missing items would occur. As you know, all guest sign a registration that states this. The room is then cleaned and repairs made as needed. All rooms are then rechecked by two managers, the property manager and the housekeeping manager to make sure everything is in working order. The rooms are then given to the front desk to sell. As you can see, if a closet door was broken and split in two, the room would not be sold.
I am sorry for any confusion you may have experienced. We always try to return calls within a three day timeframe, but I was unaware of any phone call prior to this one last
week!

Reviewed 21 May 2017

We checked in rather late. The young man who took care of us was pleasant and friendly. Our bed was very comfortable and the room was nice. Coffee was decent coffee for standard breakfast fair. We did not eat as neither one of us eat wheat products and we were moving out early to get on the road. The hotel is a good one to rest a traveler's weary head.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Harry N, General Manager at Best Western New Baltimore Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2017

Dear Adria
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We appreciate the kind words regarding our staff.
We do have a very nice hot breakfast that we hope you will be able to try if you return. We have a variety of choices that do not have to include wheat products. We appreciate your patronage. Thank you again.

Reviewed 14 May 2017

Unlike the previous night's Best Western accommodation in Cortland, this motel is older, more tired and uninspiring. Whilst the staff were nice enough, the lack of an elevator and the mediocre breakfast choices left me nonplussed. OK for one night, but nothing to write home about.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
verydissatified, General Manager at Best Western New Baltimore Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2017

Dear Daniel
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you felt we were "uninspiring" and "tired" since we just renovated! All guest rooms and public areas have been completely redesigned and we exceed Best Westerns standard for breakfast. We hope you will give us another opportunity when traveling through West Coxsackie.

Reviewed 5 May 2017

My husband and I booked this hotel for an overnight stay for business. I should have done more research. First, even after using my best western rewards and an AARP discount, our room tendered to $135.98 Quite pricey for what we had. While i didn't request a handicapped accessible room, I do have a lower back and leg condition that prevents me from climbing too many stairs or walking long distances. The hotel had no elevators and our room was on the 2nd floor so the first issue was me having to climb stairs to my room.
Once inside, we found a standard 2 queen bed room, however the sink area was across from the bathroom. This makes it awkward when wanting to wash hands after using the bathroom or even wanting to access the sink after bathing/showering. The other issue was when you turned the sink water on, it had an extremely strong odor. It smelled like Iron to me or some sort of other mineral. Our bathroom was small and the inside of our shower curtain was dirty. It should have been replaced. We also noticed dirt on the bathroom walls and out in the room near the mirror. Lighting was extremely dim/poor even with what appeared to be LED light bulbs and we had to remove a lampshade just to brighten the room to see. The remote for the TV ( which was poor quality, not HD) had a channel down button and something on the channel up button but when you pushed it nothing happened, so all you could do was channel "down" through the stations to change a channel.

The only Ice machine in the hotel was on the first floor and involved walking up and down the stairs and half way down the first floor hall to access it. Again, not set up for anyone with a disability. The Pool was on the first floor and at the very end of the first floor hall, so again, if you have problems walking you have a long walk as there are no elevators. The hotel offered a free continental breakfast which we did not attend due to just wanting to check out. This was our first time staying at a Best Western hotel and I have to say I won't be returning. I usually don't leave such a negative review, but there really wasn't anything I could find to be positive about our stay.. They even highlight "safety" in their hotel book in the room but only offer a "safe" for valuables on the first floor. smh. I wouldn't waste your money.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Pam B
verydissatified, General Manager at Best Western New Baltimore Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2017

Pam B
Thank you for your review. Although we do not have an elevator, we are very happy to accommodate our guests who request a handicap room and/or want to be on the first floor. Our handicap rooms have sinks inside the bathroom. It is disappointing you did not offer us an opportunity to change and move your room to a first floor handicap which would appear to have eliminated most of your dissatisfaction. If you are in the area again, it would be our pleasure to have another chance to serve you.

Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

Comfortable room, quiet even though it was close to the interstate. Breakfast was really good (surprisingly!) Front desk staff was helpful with directions and recommendations on places to eat and visit. Glad we chose Best Western

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Harry N, General Manager at Best Western New Baltimore Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2017

Dear Lovelake
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We appreciate your patronage and hope you will return when in the area. We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast, as we have recently added some new items. We too are glad you chose Best Western!! Thank you

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Coxsackie
Hotel Vienna
#2 of 7 in Windham
35.5 km away
Howard Johnson Inn Saugerties

Been to Best Western New Baltimore Inn? Share your experiences!