See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 July 2016

Stayed at Garden Lodge for 10 days and settled in so well. The staff were friendly and helpful. Location was perfect, being only a short walk from the centre of Stone Town. Rooms were very comfortable and the hotel grounds are v nice- bright flowers and great seating areas on every floor. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 July 2016 via mobile

Nice hotel not far from everything, had a few issues with wifi but did use it a few times and it was reasonably fast.

Rooms are good size with bathroom alright water also was fairly warm.

Breakfast was a little basic but not shocking so just gets a pass.

Stayed: July 2016
1  Thank Jason S
Reviewed 5 July 2016 via mobile

Woke up to my friend raving over how great the rooftop spice rub was. She didn't mention that the man doing it also tried to touch her breasts. So when I went up for breakfast and he offered me a spice rub I accepted. I regret it. He touched my breasts after I'd asked him not to and pushed me past the point of comfort and further. I wish I had switched hotels that day, and regret making the choice to stay there. Young ladies, be warned. The spice rub is not part of the package, I felt so dumb and naïve afterward. Finally, after describing what happened to a couple friends did I realize I'd been taken advantage of. It could have been much worse, but I never want another young woman to have to deal with what I dealt with.

Everything else, however pleasant, paled in this light.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
5  Thank Katy L
Reviewed 15 February 2016

Modest but clean hotel in the heart of stone town. The highlight is the rooftop breakfast service. A great base for exploring Zanzibar. Well ventilated room but no air-conditioning. Very reasonably priced.

Room Tip: choose a room that doesn't get afternoon sun
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank mmcclanahan
Reviewed 14 January 2016

If there's one hotel which definitely deserves the history badge of honor in all of the hotels in Zanzibar's Stone Town, it really has to be the Garden Lodge. Situated next to the same coast line where handy fisherman boats are lying to guide you to Turtle-/Prison Island, one just dazzles in the historial artefacts and gadgets all piled up in this proud British hotel joint. For all history lovers and luxury seekers.

Room Tip: the upper rooms usually are the best
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family