“i love it, you may not”
Review of Total Tennis

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saugerties
Total Tennis
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Saugerties
Reviewed 12 October 2017

Total Tennis is a difficult place to describe...
I love it and have gone several times. I try to go with a group of my tennis friends and we always have a great time. Although I've seen plenty of people there by themselves having a good time, too.
The guests tend to be really into tennis (levels 3.0 and up) but beginners are welcome!
The rooms and facilities are pretty bare bones. Some rooms feel like you've traveled back in time. Sometimes the beds are squeaky, the bathroom fixtures feel wobbly, etc. There are no TVs or phone in the rooms. You get the idea.
But, many of the rooms have a little outdoor space where you can enjoy the beautiful scenery. And I'm generally so exhausted from the tennis and full from the food that I sleep like a baby.
Oh, right--the food. This is always a highlight. And I'm not being sarcastic. The chef and his staff do a wonderful job of providing healthy and delicious meals. Seriously--you wouldn't expect perfectly cooked salmon in this cafeteria setting--but you're gonna get it! There is a bar and a wine/cheese hour, but we always bring stuff for our own cocktail hour. And we always bring wine. $5 cork fee payable at the bar.

But, you're here for the tennis. The director sets you up in a group of four players that work with one pro. If you come with a group that you want to stay with, just let him know. Otherwise, you get set up with players of similar capability. There are usually two sessions each day--morning and afternoon (unless it rains, then they have to juggle things around.) It ends around 3, I think. There's round robin tennis later if you want. But, a lot of people sign up for a massage in the afternoon. (limited availability!!)
I've never had a bad pro there. There are definitely some that are better than others, but all of them have been nice and had something to offer. Most people who have gone several times have a preference and will try to request a specific pro.

One of the reasons I love TT is b/c you don't have to make any decisions. You show up, eat and play tennis. You pay for everything up front (except for a tip for the pros and a massage if you get one) and don't need to do anything else. They even have a little bar, board games, and a saturday night "party." It makes for a very simple experience. I've never been to another tennis program/resort, but their websites never seem very straightforward.

Also, since I'm in the tri-state area it's a very easy trip. It's about a 2 hour drive from Westchester.

Room Tip: I like Cherry Hill's larger rooms & great views. Barn might be loud b/c of the Sat. night pa...
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank M L

Reviewed 13 September 2017

I have to say You get a lot for your money with Total Tennis . I went up from NYC and was there by car in 2 hours and spent Friday to Sunday morning . It was total immersion into tennis with great instructors and felt like I was back at camp again .
Food was very good , accommodations rustic and comfortable and the scenery was breathtaking . Was tired every night early from a great daily workout . My game was instantly better on arriving back home and playing with my at home group .
I would come up here 3 to 4 times a year as my weekend getaway with the added bonus of upping my tennis game . You will not be disappointed if you go .

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
17  Thank gemmett2017
Reviewed 7 September 2017

This is a great place especially if you play doubles, not as much for singles players. (Though it is hard to fault the place; there are 4 participants to 1 instructor so it would be hard to gear it to singles). If you are intermediate or above do not expect to improve your skills; the emphasis is on drills more than instruction, but if you love tennis (and I do) I can almost guarantee you will have fun.
The accommodations are minimal. We paid extra for an "updated" room which had not been updated in at least 5 years, so I would never try the regular rooms. There is no wifi or tv in the rooms. They are relatively clean, you are given clean towels, (though we had to ask for extra), the bed is straightened but the room is not cleaned again while you are there.
I have been going for the past 3 years, and while the food is still good, I would say the quality has gone down (it was outstanding my first 2 years). There is little to do at night; a cash bar and a small attempt at bingo, but after a full day of tennis and good food an early bedtime is fine.
There is a pool (not heated) and a hot tub. I can highly recommend the massage therapists (extra charge), I had 2 different ones over my visits and both were excellent.
I have only gone in summer and we were lucky with the weather, never had to use the inside courts, I am unsure if they are air conditioned though.
Overall I would go back again, just wish they would really update their accommodations and try a little harder to gear some of the program to singles.

Room Tip: pay extra for the Rose cottage, quieter and comfortable beds.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
9  Thank ChanNJ
Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

This place is Awesome! The tennis program is as intense as you want it to be, depending on your level of play. It's like an adult camp, but they have programs for kids as well. The food variety is delicious, farm to table by the expert Chef Dan. New people are always welcome but many guests, like my sister & I, have been coming to Total Tennis for over a decade. The mountain views and secluded location make for a wonderful getaway. I would definitely put this on your TO DO LIST.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
20  Thank Sherry S
Reviewed 7 August 2017

Going to Total Tennis is like going to adult sleep away camp. The accommodations are fine but a bit rustic, just like camp. The focus is on tennis...10 hours a weekend group lesson and 30 minute private lesson. Trust me, if you listen and apply what you learned, you will get better. Cocktail hour and excellent food make this adult camp a notch above. The pool was fine but a bit cold. I will be going back again.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
18  Thank njagold
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugerties
29.6 km away
6 km away
Catskill Mountain Lodge
Catskill Mountain Lodge
#1 of 1 in Palenville

Been to Total Tennis? Share your experiences!