“Lots of fun for doubles players, acceptable accomodations”
Review of Total Tennis

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saugerties
Total Tennis
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Saugerties
Reviewed 7 September 2017

This is a great place especially if you play doubles, not as much for singles players. (Though it is hard to fault the place; there are 4 participants to 1 instructor so it would be hard to gear it to singles). If you are intermediate or above do not expect to improve your skills; the emphasis is on drills more than instruction, but if you love tennis (and I do) I can almost guarantee you will have fun.
The accommodations are minimal. We paid extra for an "updated" room which had not been updated in at least 5 years, so I would never try the regular rooms. There is no wifi or tv in the rooms. They are relatively clean, you are given clean towels, (though we had to ask for extra), the bed is straightened but the room is not cleaned again while you are there.
I have been going for the past 3 years, and while the food is still good, I would say the quality has gone down (it was outstanding my first 2 years). There is little to do at night; a cash bar and a small attempt at bingo, but after a full day of tennis and good food an early bedtime is fine.
There is a pool (not heated) and a hot tub. I can highly recommend the massage therapists (extra charge), I had 2 different ones over my visits and both were excellent.
I have only gone in summer and we were lucky with the weather, never had to use the inside courts, I am unsure if they are air conditioned though.
Overall I would go back again, just wish they would really update their accommodations and try a little harder to gear some of the program to singles.

Room Tip: pay extra for the Rose cottage, quieter and comfortable beds.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
9  Thank ChanNJ

Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

This place is Awesome! The tennis program is as intense as you want it to be, depending on your level of play. It's like an adult camp, but they have programs for kids as well. The food variety is delicious, farm to table by the expert Chef Dan. New people are always welcome but many guests, like my sister & I, have been coming to Total Tennis for over a decade. The mountain views and secluded location make for a wonderful getaway. I would definitely put this on your TO DO LIST.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
20  Thank Sherry S
Reviewed 7 August 2017

Going to Total Tennis is like going to adult sleep away camp. The accommodations are fine but a bit rustic, just like camp. The focus is on tennis...10 hours a weekend group lesson and 30 minute private lesson. Trust me, if you listen and apply what you learned, you will get better. Cocktail hour and excellent food make this adult camp a notch above. The pool was fine but a bit cold. I will be going back again.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
18  Thank njagold
Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

My wife and I did a three day stay and had great food, plenty of tennis with our excellent coach Luis, and a totally memorable time with new friends. Even though I signed us up for "singles" weekend (which I cluelessly thought meant a focus on singles tennis!), there was a great mix of all types of players and personalities which made this one of the most fun times we've ever had. Yes the rooms are pretty dated, but we loved the whole Adirondack lodge vibe. And we were really impressed at the variety and quality of the food (chef Chris studied at the Culinary Institute), which was always fresh and interesting, with lots of vegetables, salads and entree choices. The Saturday night disco party with Goldie was really fun, mostly due to the willingness of the guests and great staff to let loose.

I will say that after over 15 hours of tennis over three days we needed a few days to recover, which means we really got what we came for. We'll definitely be back next where we're in NY next year!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
18  Thank CongoLarry
Reviewed 16 July 2017

I just started playing tennis again after a few years off and I recently booked a solo weekend trip to Total Tennis on a whim. The program exceeded my expectations all around, and was one of the most fun weekends I've had in ages. I really can't wait to go back.

As others have said, the accommodations are very rustic, but the food is excellent and the quality of the instruction is top notch. The staff is really friendly and helpful. The facility has all the amenities you need (bar, pool, gym, hot tub). The property is in a gorgeous setting. It is so idyllic and peaceful - a deer would wander in and out of the woods as we played during the day next to our court. You don't see that in NYC!

In 2 days, I substantially improved some of my shots, learned a lot about what I need to focus on in order to continue improving at home, met great people, and enjoyed a relaxing time in the Catskills. The owners of the place do a fantastic job running this program, and I am very much looking forward to going back.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
20  Thank Annie B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugerties
29.6 km away
3.8 km away
Comfort Inn Saugerties
Comfort Inn Saugerties
#4 of 6 in Saugerties

Been to Total Tennis? Share your experiences!