“Outstanding tennis instruction and excellent food”
Review of Total Tennis

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saugerties
Total Tennis
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Saugerties
Reviewed 7 August 2017

Going to Total Tennis is like going to adult sleep away camp. The accommodations are fine but a bit rustic, just like camp. The focus is on tennis...10 hours a weekend group lesson and 30 minute private lesson. Trust me, if you listen and apply what you learned, you will get better. Cocktail hour and excellent food make this adult camp a notch above. The pool was fine but a bit cold. I will be going back again.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
18  Thank njagold

Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

My wife and I did a three day stay and had great food, plenty of tennis with our excellent coach Luis, and a totally memorable time with new friends. Even though I signed us up for "singles" weekend (which I cluelessly thought meant a focus on singles tennis!), there was a great mix of all types of players and personalities which made this one of the most fun times we've ever had. Yes the rooms are pretty dated, but we loved the whole Adirondack lodge vibe. And we were really impressed at the variety and quality of the food (chef Chris studied at the Culinary Institute), which was always fresh and interesting, with lots of vegetables, salads and entree choices. The Saturday night disco party with Goldie was really fun, mostly due to the willingness of the guests and great staff to let loose.

I will say that after over 15 hours of tennis over three days we needed a few days to recover, which means we really got what we came for. We'll definitely be back next where we're in NY next year!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
18  Thank CongoLarry
Reviewed 16 July 2017

I just started playing tennis again after a few years off and I recently booked a solo weekend trip to Total Tennis on a whim. The program exceeded my expectations all around, and was one of the most fun weekends I've had in ages. I really can't wait to go back.

As others have said, the accommodations are very rustic, but the food is excellent and the quality of the instruction is top notch. The staff is really friendly and helpful. The facility has all the amenities you need (bar, pool, gym, hot tub). The property is in a gorgeous setting. It is so idyllic and peaceful - a deer would wander in and out of the woods as we played during the day next to our court. You don't see that in NYC!

In 2 days, I substantially improved some of my shots, learned a lot about what I need to focus on in order to continue improving at home, met great people, and enjoyed a relaxing time in the Catskills. The owners of the place do a fantastic job running this program, and I am very much looking forward to going back.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
20  Thank Annie B
Reviewed 15 May 2017

Went for a 3-day weekend and was very impressed by the thoroughness and thoughtfulness of the program. It started the night of our arrival: we got there after dinner, but they were keeping our meals warm for us. The tennis instruction is top-notch and personalized (4 people per pro and organized by skill level). The staff is friendly and has thought of many details: water bottle given at check-in, water & gatorade at all courts; first aid/pharmacy (sunscreen, advil, and band aids) at the front desk, and availability of massages in the afternoon.

They also really try hard with the food. All meals are buffet style, but there are a host of details that show their care. There are cloth napkins at all meals, bussing service at dinner, very broad range of food choices including multiple main courses, vegetarian, big salad bar, homemade soup, and great desserts (chicken, eggs, and many vegetables come from their own farm down the road). Simple, inexpensive wine available along with a full bar (also $5 corkage fee if you care to bring your own). Also appreciate that they have a free wine/cheese reception on Saturday night, as well as a DJ and ping pong, pool table, and foosball in the barn later in the evening.

Weather varied dramatically during our stay, but they could accommodate us: clay courts during good weather, indoor during rain, and hard surface outdoors for day after rain. We played 4 hours/day indoors and 5 hours/day outdoors. One 1/2 private lesson is included in each stay. Teaching staff is very good and incredibly friendly.

Rooms are basic, but extremely clean. Had a room in the upper floor of the main building with sitting room and semi-private balcony overlooking the mountains. Housekeeping was extremely efficient and provided a bounty of clean towels daily. Wifi worked in room. This is clearly not a high-end experience, but we used the room mainly to collapse after a full day of tennis.

Overall a great value. Cost averages ~$250-300/day/person, including room and full board (plus suggested instructor tip of $50-60 & housekeeping fee of $15). Given that court rental in NYC costs ~$100/hour and a private lesson can cost nearly $200/hr, you get a tremendous amount of quality tennis time in a well-managed facility with a supportive, friendly community. As long as you're not expecting a high end resort experience (and realize that you're not paying the attendant costs), you'll have a wonderful time.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
18  Thank nyctravelr
Reviewed 22 March 2017

Reasonably priced, good food, and solid tennis. Accommodations are really spare and you do spend time in your room (in the winter) but its really fine. I wish there were more than 4-5 hours of tennis a day but it was still a good workout, wonderful to get a good massage afterwards, and fun to be around a bunch of people that were all about the tennis. I am really excited to go back again as soon as I can!

Room Tip: i got a single. couldnt bear to share.