Wenton Motel(Saugerties)
Free cancellation until 03/08
US$169
The Village Inn(Saugerties)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsindoor courtsprivate lessonhot tubmain buildingskill levelclay courtshard courtsround robinthe barnhealthy foodchef dancherry hillsaturday nightclean towelsthe tri state areagreat instructionculinary institute
Reviewed 12 July 2016

This is a wonderful fun place! If you're not planning a country club experience, you like fun people and lot's of tennis you'll have a good time. The instructors are well versed in every level, helpful, and organized. My second trip hit a rainy day. Fortunately they were not at capacity and the time was spaced out with larger groups on the indoor courts. I would have preferred the normal 4 to a group outside or a longer day; but it was good and there was plenty of court time. The food is great and it's surprising how many people you connect with. The accommodations are not glamorous and the temperature control in the showers wildly unpredictable; but clean and pleasant. I will be back there sooner than later. The food is especially good and fresh.

Room Tip: If you spend a little more the main lodge is nicer than the others.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
3  Thank Andrew J
Reviewed 8 July 2016 via mobile

As other reviews like to say, the accommodations are not luxurious. But if you ask for one of the newer rooms they are clean, comfortable and welcoming. And you'll only be there while sleeping.

Otherwise you'll be on the courts with fabulous coaches (Vic is amazing - positive, encouraging, great analytical skills); eating amazingly fresh and varied meals in the dining room (Ben, head chef, is sufficient reason alone to go); having a great after-tennis therapeutic massage with Ellenora, Teresa and others; in the new hot tub, at the pool, walking the grounds with wonderful views of the Catskills, or perhaps most enjoyably meeting the wide range of so many other great tennis enthusiasts.

We had another fabulous time this week, our 10th visit. Thanks Ellen!!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Bryan M
Reviewed 24 June 2016

I knew Total Tennis wasn't a luxury resort (I'd been once many years ago) but it really seemed old and tired. (No updates since the heyday of the Catskills!) My room was ok but the shower was really bad (unadjustable-scalding then cold) not what you want after 5 hours on a tennis court in 90+ degree heat.
The food is good; lots of choice served cafeteria style and they do provide vegetarian options. They had complimentary wine and beer both nights pre-dinner. You couldn't take your own wine into the main room and had to pay a corkage fee if you wanted to take it into the dining room-seems like a bit of a cash grab.
The tennis was ok. I felt I was in the right group and the pro was good. I feel like I took away a couple of pointers but could have used more critiqued game play instead of so much mini tennis to warm-up and ball feeding.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Lodge are very tired but seem the internet. Rooms in the outer sections were much nicer and more modern.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
3  Thank tohhall
Reviewed 19 June 2016 via mobile

My husband and I have been going to Total Tennis for years now. It is the well known best tennis getaway in the NYC area and one of the best values. We came again over Memorial Day Weekend and as always had an amazing time. It's a very special place for so many reasons. The resort captures that nostalgic feeling of Catskills getaway and balances that with a serious tennis instruction program. Moreover, the food is phenomenal (served buffet style) and uses a lot of locally grown ingredients. There is always something for everyone. I always end up gaining weight when I'm there despite how much I play. The rooms are nice and most of them are updated still maintaining that country-rustic feeling. I would recommend staying in the Cherry Hill or the Lodge rooms. They include an additional fee, but it's worth it. There are no TVs in the room, but I think that's intentional because it forces you to enjoy the gorgeous outdoors and socialize with your fellow tennis enthusiasts. It is truly a camp experience. I definitely would recommend to any level player - only requirement is that they love tennis.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Jennifer L
Reviewed 9 June 2016

This was my second visit to Total Tennis in the last 3 years or so. Don't expect a resort because it is not - it is tennis camp. The rooms are very basic and maybe could use some paint, but clean. The food is good - wholesome, fresh, quality, well-prepared, and plentiful. Some reviewers complain about the lack of variety, but it's not cuisine. Go elsewhere for that, the food is fine. The instruction is OK, and I was with a pretty good group. That's important, I don't think this would work if you are incompatible with your group. However, this time the balls were completely flat. I have been to tennis programs everywhere - Saddlebrook, Peter Burwash, Green Valley, Kiawah Island, etc and I have never been forced to play with balls in this condition. I was told that the balls are changed once a month. This is not the place to economize, and it was not acceptable to me. Total tennis is a compromise in some respects - the accommodations are not great and not everything works, but the cost is very reasonable and you don't have to travel far to get your instruction. But this visit left me dissatisfied, and it's a problem that could be easily corrected if the management wanted to address it.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo