All reviews german beer nice family family owned and operated place to stay hiking trails new york wiener schnitzel rathaus dancing festival wendy weekend brook singer waterfall catskill nyc
Reviewed 28 May 2008

My boyfriend and I booked this place just for one night and we both wished we could have stayed longer.

The price of the room includes three meals and the food was very yummy and tasted like your german grandma made it. The Jaeger Snitzel rocked! The on-site beer hall has some great german brew and there is a late night polka band. The sound proofing on the rooms wasn't great but the pool looked nice and we loved the homey feel of it all.

I hope New York City transplants start to discover some of the old school NY getaways like this one. If you like retro and want to get away from the city scene, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank mslaurats
Reviewed 20 July 2007

This wonderful small hotel is a throwback to the 50's when things were simple...no phones in the rooms, no computer hook-ups, cell phones barely work on round top mountain...
but it is a real relaxing place to get away from the world.
Everything is super clean, and works antique furniture covered with lace dolies, and old fashioned curtains...great service and delicious German style food...Limited selection on the food, but it tastes great...3 meals a day...the air is clean and the pool and hot tub work fine. The roads are hilly and make for great hikes, but try the simple trails that glide by a bubbling brook and take you to a covered bridge or waterfall. There are also nice golf courses in the area, and the nearby town of Catskill is an artsy place with galleries and antique places....nice to visit...there are also concerts on weekends.
Family operated for years...Wendy is a dream and even entertains the children. The music in the nearby Brauhaus is accordians, polkas, and waltzes of days gone by.
Rates are very reasonable. Place is very special and people return for years....

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
7  Thank peter39
Reviewed 20 March 2005

I came upon the Brauhaus three summers ago as I was searching for
another German Restaurant in the area. Being the middle of the afternoon,
I was the only customer but was immediately impressed with the decor
and especially the variety of German beers on tap (and bottled). Seeing
a menu, I knew I'd be back soon, and the next night I returned to find the
place hopping with a two person oompah band and a lot of happy dancers.
It turns out, this is a destination for a lot of local folks as well as the people
staying at the hotel across the street. I met a fellow at the bar who is from
Germany (near Landshut, 45 km NE of Munich) and he was quite content.
I lucked out, getting the last weinerschnitzel available that night, and it
was just fine. Having returned several times since, the happy vibe
continues and the food still rings my bell. This is straightforward German
home cooking like my grandma used to make and the prices are most
reasonable. The people I've met there are a freindly lot and I'll continue
to visit when I'm in the area. Prost!

Stayed: January 2005