All reviews the main house new owners hiking trails lawn games roasted chicken fire pit pool table natural beauty short walk great weekend tavern volleyball hike property winter escape fireplace
Reviewed 15 October 2018

The new owners are trying to create an upbeat, updated hotel experience by renovating and revitalizing the current buildings and I applaud their effort. However, it's apparent they are new to the hotel business and what they are missing the boat on is great customer service and basic hotel amenities. Our "renovated" room was a big disappointment. We only had two towels, no soap or shampoos, no hair dryer and only a little rack to hang our clothes. The room was super small, the bed was old and felt like I was going to roll right out of it every time I moved. The curtains were sheer and cheap. I asked the owner for more towels and soap, which I was promised would be delivered, but never appeared. We had to drive into town to get hand & body soaps. The hotel feels super hipster and doesn't gel with the surrounding culture which is very family friendly and rustic. Overall I was disappointed with my experience and think it's overpriced for what you get.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank CD4life
Reviewed 11 October 2018 via mobile

Some friends and I spent a long weekend up here this fall and I can’t speak more highly of our experience. The hotel sits on a massive property of hiking trails, waterfalls, and hidden bits of breathtaking natural beauty.

The rooms are simple, but quite comfortable with everything you need (and none of what you don’t) to unplug for a weekend away from the city.

There’s a groovy tavern on the property with live music, a fire pit with s’mores, and tons of people just chilling out. We spent the weekend playing games and getting to know the staff - who were all super friendly.

One tip - the property seems to be under new ownership and it is clear that they are making a ton of renovations and updates to the place. Be sure to book a room in the main house, where they’ve already updated the rooms a bit.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank ryanbG8918LG
Reviewed 8 October 2018

It is getting harder and harder to find a decent escape to nature as a weekend trip from NYC. The popular go-to destinations have become so expensive, so crowded, and so traffic-clogged that they don't provide the connection to nature that I was seeking. I had a great weekend here with a group of friends. We enjoyed hiking in the mid-fall as the leaves changed colors.

The Glen Falls House was a traditional Catskills retreat starting in the 1940s. New owners have been renovating the property; and the place obviously has big plans for continuous improvement. Every member of the staff was EXTREMELY friendly and enthusiastic. They all feel thrilled to be in this beautiful spot; and they share the excitement of the vision the place has for the future.

Good hiking trails start on the property - including some beautiful small waterfalls. The food is delicious (but unhealthy). The bar is a really fun spot with live music, fireplace, and a mix of locals and tourists. The resort has a fire-pit for nightly s'mores, a pool, an excellent property cat, and a lot of handsome dogs owned by guests. The resort is close to the town of Hudson which has great dinning and boutique shopping.

Hudson has an Amtrak Station - but be aware that at least one member of your group is going to need a car. I drove from NYC with one friend. Our other friends all had to arrive or depart at different times or different days (some people had Columbus Day off and some did not). It was quite easy for me to pick people up and drop them off in Hudson. However, this would not have been easy if none of us had a car.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank David B
Reviewed 2 October 2018

So many things that were wrong. Could not believe it.
Room wasnt as we reserved. No tv no chair super small room . The bed was 100 years old and squeaked every time you moved. No black out curtains so couldnt sleep until i draped the towels over the window.. shower was terrible. My dinner was inedible.. my wifes meal thet told us that it was unavailable ( house hamburger) reodered chicken. It can 45 mins after i was served mine. It was good but hlaf a chicken and not much else?
Breafast was a none event . We booked for 2 nights but left 1st thing in the morning. The worst place we stayed in in the 5weeks we toured n/e America. All that for $288 us
It could be ok but a lot more needs to be done. I rate it as a$100 a nighter

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richardrobertson
Reviewed 16 August 2018 via mobile

Just spent 3 wonderful days here and would definitely recommend you do the same. The staff are really friendly and there if you need anything at all but not intrusive, more than happy to offer honest restaurant and trail recommendations. The rooms were clean, simple and spacious, breakfast and the lunch we had was great and suitable for vegetarians. Plenty of outdoor activities nearby and the opportunuty to relax with a drink by the pool afterwards.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple