All reviewsgerman musichiking trailsgolf driving rangeindoor pool and hot tubbeer gardengerman stylegreat familyinternetplaygroundpoolscourttennisgamewoodsskiingaccommodationsweekend
Reviewed 4 January 2018

Just here for a weekend -- great time had by our three families. There's a special kind of family magic in this Round Top-Cairo area. But, also, how can you not have fun at a place like this? Riedlbauer’s has expanses of green lawns, flowers, lawn chairs, and large trees all set around various accommodations and the main houses. Beyond the sweep of lawn, just past tennis court and gazebo, is the sparkling large pool and the huge hot tub. On the other side of the tennis court is a shuffleboard court (our families had a fun competition :-) and playground. Beyond that a pond w/ boats! Turn right, take a short walk through pines and, behold, a beer garden w/ music (a band playing when we were there!) and a golf driving range! This little entertainment oasis sits dramatically below wooded hillsides and trails.

If weather is poor, inside can be found another pool and hot tub (!), video games, pool table and FuBball games, Ms. Pacman, a TV, and charming bar and snackbar. Best of all, maybe, is the nature that awaits a short hike away. We all had fun in the cool streams and waterfalls after short hike to them on a hot day. I almost expected to find Rip V. Winkle sleeping in the ferns it was so pretty & classic upstate New York. Finally, rooms & beds fall somewhere between Hampton Inn and Maine cabin spartan. Bathrooms are quite nice, and both are very clean. Common rooms in most of the buildings are cozy, and I saw a late night card game in action in our building. Lots of balconies too. As for breakfast, it was more good food than we expected, and both room and set tables so pretty. Riedlbauers peeps were also quite friendly. The only negative I can think of is that the German music playing outside could be mixed with some non-German.

Room Tip: The Jagerhaus (?) rooms are among the smallest & most 'motel-ish.' Others are nicer.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

I have to believe that most of these reviews are in house. Upon check in, we were asked to pay a 50.00 advance for gratuity which we politely declined. Rooms are gross (don’t even get me started on the bathrooms), old and grungy..musty..paper thin walls and holes in screens allowing bugs in...which, by the way there are MANY a variety. I get that this is the mountains..but I don’t need spiderwebs and prey hanging like drapes at every turn as I enter the room to remind me of that.
The staff seems ok..but with an air of “you get what you get” mentality. The dinner offerings are a good example of this. Family style dinner typically offers a choice or delivery of at least two different entrees and sides..this is not the case here. Expect one entree, one side and a salad. One type of dessert. Food just ok. Also strange is the bar tender who asks you if you have your old glass when you go to order a second drink at the bar. Bring your own food and snacks, unless you are ok with being redirected between meal times to a sole vending machine consisting of Doritos and Cheetos.
Indoor pool appears old, cloudy and dank. Oh and you are asked to buy towels for the pool if you did not bring your own, as guests are not permitted to use room towels there.
Entertainment is..interesting. Picture your grandpa at the keyboard playing the chicken dance and the hokey pokey with a German flair. This was probably the most redeeming part of this experience, where the time warp/ surreal feel was most forgiving....albeit cringe-worthy at times. They do give out free post cards of the resort so don’t forget to take advantage of this perk before you leave. ;)

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank JerseyHeart
Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

Family owned and operated. Family friendly with a multitude of activities (indoor and outdoor pools, sauna, hot tub tennis, basketball, golf driving range, game room, we'll equipped children's playground, miles of scenic hiking trails, exercise room, dining hall with fixed menu of excellent food, a well stocked bar and live entertainment on the weekends). Great hospitality with a German accent.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank David S
Reviewed 7 August 2017

My husband found this place online. We were visiting friends in Round Top and just needed a room for the night. After reading the reviews online, my initial thought was okay well it's just the one night. I read that there was no TV, no internet, no wash cloths in the room. Those must have been some older reviews. We stayed in Alpine House Room 6. It's on the second floor of the building. Yes the rooms are dated and the beds are not the most comfortable I've ever slept on but it was very clean! There was a TV in our room and I was able to connect to Wifi with no problem. There were plenty of towels in the bathroom (which seems to have been recently updated) and the room itself is very large with a lot of floor space for our two girls to play - not that we needed to be in the room because there was so much to do on the hotel grounds. They have an indoor pool and an outdoor pool, volleyball, basketball, shuffleboard, a large playground area, a ton of places to hike and nearby golf. I'm sure there was more but we didn't have much time to explore. There's also a beer garden on the grounds! We chose the option to have breakfast with our room and it was delicious. There's no menu to choose from only the option that they offer that day (we had pancakes, eggs, toast, bacon and cereal). The pancakes were some of the best I've ever had! There is the option to get all three meals with the room but we weren't in the area for long and were spending time with friends but my understanding is that they serve a great family style German dinner at night!

Our room was quiet and very clean. The grounds were expansive and also very clean. Lots for the kids to do! We would definitely come back again!

Room Tip: Alpine house is a little further away from the action of the beer garden but close to the playground. Not a lot of parking though.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Nicole P
Reviewed 14 June 2017

My best friend Gary found this place while searching on the web for things to do in the Catskills. Well he found it all here at Riedlbauers. Hiking,(a great Falls View Hike) Golf Range. Next to the Great outdoor bar with food. Pool, indoor and out. Can go on and on. The rooms CLEAN. The people who work there are so friendly. The woman at the desk was Great! The young ladies who served us breakfast every morning were the BEST! The woman who cleaned our room was friendly and did a Great job. Oh! Shout Out to the crew back at the outdoor bar. Great Job! Everyone treated you like family. Will be back for sure.

Stayed: May 2017