“Best TexMex in Rochester”

John's Tex-Mex Eatery
Ranked #47 of 1,381 Restaurants in Rochester
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Reviewed 2 May 2018

Great food, fast service, and reasonably priced drinks. We loved the vegetarian options. This will be your best stop in Rochester.

Reviewed 13 April 2018

I usually stop by to pick up dinner for my daughter's family. It is something we look forward to whenever I come to town.

Love their house made hot sauce, the Mexican Mush tacos.

My favorite is their burrito bowl with un-beef. Always a pleasure to find tasty vegetarian Tex-Mex food.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Visiting Rochester for the 10th time in 2 years, my expectations were already low. Wife/kid were tired and bordering on grouchy, and I just wanted something easy and John’s came highly-recommended. But I’ve been to Rochester dozens of times, and never found decent Tex-mex in the state, less upstate. The food was fantastic. And I told them I wanted it spicy, and it was delivered perfect. And fast. $30 for 3 people and plenty left over. I recommend getting there early; we got there around 4:45pm and we were the last to get a table, with a solid 30-minute wait by the time we left. I will definitely be back.

1  Thank BC159
Reviewed 22 February 2018

At this moment I am happier with the Tex Mex offerings here than any other Rochester restaurant. I'm not a vegetarian but thoroughly enjoy when menus offer unique options. I tried their spicy tofu in a taco and another with John's "mush." I'm eating these and thinking "this one is the most delicious, no, it's this one, no, this one..." My dining partner went for the near-beef or unbeef (I can't recall the exact name) and was equally thrilled and said "this is our new place!" Why I'm not giving an excellent is that it's such a small place it's pretty tight with the neighbors. Looking forward to eating here when the outside patio offers more breathing room. A couple of other items to note: they have coffee, which is often missing from Tex Mex places here. Also, they have restrooms - one reason I eschew the good Tex Mex place on Monroe where you can't even wash your hands.

Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

Stopped in on Friday night with school age children because my son was in the mood for Mexican before heading over to Strong Museum. Small place but nice friendly feel. Service was great and food was filling. For three people we had a tasty meal for under $20.