“Excellent food; fantastic view outside; lovely decor inside”

The Vanderbuilt House
Ranked #3 of 8 Restaurants in Philmont
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 July 2017

We ate here twice. Once sat outside with a lovely view of a pond. The other time we sat inside. This historic building, once owned by (Cornelius?) Vanderbilt was recently restored. Downstairs is are large bar and dining areas, and outside are tables with fantastic views. The upstairs consists of several hotel rooms. The owners are on-site. Food was plentiful and delicious.

Date of visit: June 2017

Reviewed 30 November 2016

Really enjoyed their wings last trip so went back again on a Tuesday night. We walked in and got to the doorway that divides the dining room and the bar/ tavern room, there were 2 tables that had people seated in the DR and one that I saw with about 4 people in the TR, and one person at the bar. Wanted to sit at the bar, but we were greeted by what seemed to be a very stressed out waitress who said " We have trivia night going on and you can't sit in the Tavern/ Bar area" to which I replied maybe I want to play. She led us to a table in the DR and then left, a little miffed we sat there jaws agape kind of stunned. The same waitress came back with water and took off again, At this point there was no way I was sticking around for more rudeness so we got up and walked out. First it was only 7pm and interestingly enough my girlfriend noticed that as we walked in a couple that was already seated had some kind of funny remark about us being seated or something like that, I have no idea what was going on but that is not how you treat people. Byy the way, the first time I called to make reservations a few months back, it seemed the lady on the phone was trying to talk me out of going, by saying things like, you do realize this is prime rib night, we are pretty full you may have to sit outside and I hope we have enough. I thought that was weird but the food was terrific so it made up for it.

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed 1 October 2016

Went there for prime rib night on a Friday, was busy as many people have found this nice treat. Not sure, but it does look like it was a house at one time but has a nice modern bar with a formal dining room and inviting tavern room. We opted to go out on the deck where it overlooks a local reservoir ( which is a messy shame) Anyway the food was fantastic, prime rib was tasty, tender and perfectly sized, veggie of the night was under portioned but very good. I am a prime rib buff and I will definitely go back. I also ordered the chicken wings which were very good, only thing I would ask is they not use bbq sauce as a dipping sauce. The owner came out and visited which is always nice to see. I did notice it draws an older crowd so being the youngest couple in the place at 52 & 47 says it all.

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed 24 June 2016 via mobile

My wife and I came to the area to do some genealogy research. We'd heard good reports of the Vanderbuilt House so we decided to make it our base of operations. The web site is beautiful, showing the exterior, rooms, view and allows selection of rooms. Marcie, the reservation manager, emailed us quickly to confirm which room we were assigned. When we arrived, she treated us as if we were family and offered to have someone take our bags to the room. I should have taken her up on that offer, as there are 17 steps! The hotel was built in 1860 and has been beautifully restored. The rooms are large and comfortable with fully-appointed bathrooms, fans and powerful climate controls. Ours had a huge balcony (we could have hosted a party on it) with a view of the lake. Dinner was superb. We ate on the deck and enjoyed the view of the lake and the songs of the birds. If you're a birder, this is the place to stay. The charming proprietor visits the diners, entertaining them with the fascinating history of the hotel. The drinks are generous, the wait staff quick and friendly. Our visit was a wonderful experience. We'll certainly return and will bring friends.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed 23 June 2016

My family and I visited the Vanderbilt Inn for the first time. Not only was the food superb and made with the freshest ingredients, the atmosphere was welcoming and nostalgic. The staff not only served us as if we were family, the owner actually came out and gave us a history of the Inn. If you are in Columbia County on a trip, take a ride to Philmont and visit this hidden treasure. I can't believe this place was right under our nose. We even got a chance to take a look at the rooms at the Inn. The rooms were well appointed and pristine. I plan on taking an overnight trip there very soon.

Date of visit: June 2016