Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Agoda.com
US$179
View deal
Expedia
eDreams
Trip.com
All reviews unique hotel subway station industrial area ice machine easy access to manhattan lobby astoria nyc stops block warehouse uber lic laguardia ave
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 March 2022 via mobile

When comparing 4-star hotels you, paper collective looks like a sure bet. In reality it's far from it, outdated rooms, extremely poor service, coupled with a sketchy area makes for unpleasant experience.

Went on a family trip to New York, booked for 6 nights hoping to have a great time exploring NYC. With the station nearby it did make a lot sense. However, I ended up wasting 2 days just finding another hotel to check-in to and save some days to actually enjoy NYC.

Other than proximity to a station, there is nothing of note in this hotel. Photos and website are superb, but once you show up it's far from what was expected.

Think about this hotel as a 2-star property and you'll realize it's overpriced. Also, they are yet to refund me the deposit you are charged on arrival. Most hotels just take a hold. For some reason the hotel believes the deposit belongs to them as well, ridiculous after being charged close to $90 per night for weekday stay. I'm never ever thinking of booking here again.

Room tip: Better to avoid and stay at a chain 2 star or motel. Don't even consider if priced above $50 per night
Date of stay: February 2022
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2022

I would not recommend staying here unless you don’t mind items going missing from your room (and then being told you should have used the safe) and/or dirty sheets & pillows. The concept itself is unique, but sadly the place is so far below 4 stars, I’m not sure where that rating came from.

On December 25th, my boyfriend & I checked in. The night we checked in, we were getting settled in the room and noticed stains on the bed sheets. We let the front desk know, and she immediately moved us to one of their nicer suites assuring us it would be clean. We got to the room and noticed stains on our pillows. At this point, we decided to just ask for new pillows and go to sleep.

The next day, I got ready to go out, and we requested house keeping for that day. I had brought a few specific dresses with me that I planned to wear, as it was the holidays and my birthday. When I went to look for one on the third day of our stay, and noticed the one I wanted to wear wasn’t there, I knew something was wrong. I thought maybe housekeeping picked it up by accident, so we told the front desk. They said house keeping didn’t find anything and a police report needs to be filed for a missing item. We went back to our room and turned everything upside down looking for this dress, and couldn’t believe someone would just take it. Sadly, we couldn’t find it and knew someone did actually steal my dress from our room. I knew it was missing because I bought it specifically for our holiday weekend, but not everyone would notice CLOTHING gone missing. How many other people has this happened to? What else might they have taken? Naturally, we didn’t feel comfortable leaving our belongings in the room. We took everything of value that we could with us when we went out. We also asked them to check the cameras, but of course they did not oblige.

The next day, we were finally checking out. The manager said she’s waiving the “resort fee” to make up for the inconvenience. We didn’t even know there would be a resort fee, so we didn’t agree that would be enough. The dress I had was also pretty expensive. We were then told there’s a safe in the room that we could have used. Were we really supposed to stuff our clothes in there? She also inquired as to why we didn’t wait for the police to come to file the report (we waited about 3 hours and then decided to go on with our plans and not allow this situation to ruin our trip). This entire experience was so off-putting and sad.

If this person, whether it was housekeeping or someone else who works there, knew they could get away with stealing a DRESS, I certainly would not trust them with any other valuable items. That, plus the lack of cleanliness and safety, I definitely wouldn’t recommend staying here. We have stayed at other hotels in the same area and highly recommend either Vista LIC or Boro Hotel (a bit pricier, but a million times better if you’re looking for an actual 4 star experience).

Date of stay: December 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Q5434GMshirleys
Reviewed 20 January 2022

We had an O/N stay here in Jan 2022.. Between the health protocol and what seems to be recent renovations, we did not get to experience the hotel as it seems to be pictured. The book column , in many of the prior pictures is gone. The bar and much of the shared seating is closed.

The staff did as best they could to make the stay comfortable. The rooms had decent set ups.

Date of stay: January 2022
Reviewed 27 November 2021 via mobile

Once we switched rooms after a rough first night, we’ll up our rating to a tenuous 4. The best feature is people who work here; they get a 5. They were very responsive. The problem is we booked a standard king room. The website standard king shows a photo with two nightstands- one on either side. This was an important feature. Our room had only one and the other side of the bed was a few inches from the wall which made it hard to get in and out of bed. I had no place to set my glasses and phone etc. It didn’t have a coffeemaker. It only had one washcloth and hand towel There was a black lacy bra on the floor in the closet. Oops.
The website said you get boxed water. None there. So we got the towel situation and coffee thing fixed pretty fast. (It was the day before Thanksgiving, so a little busy -just to set the scene) No luck on the nightstand -Then there was the noise. We had a vocally LOUD neighbor who would have been a problem in any hotel in any city, so it’s not the hotel’s fault here. We could hear every word of his tv shows til 1 am. Then around 3:30 am he had a loud phone conversation for over an hour and every word was audible. It was hard to figure out if it was through the wooden floor or thin wall, but it was with us all night . We had to change rooms for night #2
Pros: bed super comfortable. Heater high on wall w thermostat below provides great white noise to deaden sound. (Although you have “wind” blowing on you when it’s on ) shower is in a small separate room from sink and toilet which is useful. You can crack the windows for fresh air which is great. The area is not too noisy with sirens and traffic like Manhattan is.
Day two we got a much better room. Ronnie was so nice at the front desk. She arranged to get our luggage taken to the new room and she did a great job. Our new room was quiet and yes, had two nightstands. Still no boxed water, no washcloths and only one hand towel! But after that first sleepless night we were glad to have this nice new room. The fifth floor(first room) had wood floors with layers of urethane. Wasn’t nuts about that. This new 4th floor room had a concrete floor and oddly it gave more warmth to the space. There are no rugs or carpets in the rooms.
One disappointment is the coffee and restaurant situation in the hotel is non existent. Covid is blamed There are hotels all over who do breakfast now or at least have coffee. So that is a big negative. It doesn’t help that this hotel is in a somewhat isolated spot with limited choices for take out coffee. 7-11 gas station is closest. Ugh. We found a great little cafe a bit of a walk. Coffee Ave. It’s 33rd street at 35th Ave. That’s near the Kaufman studios
Subway stops for the R and N lines are nearby. We took the R train from Penn Station to get here. Parking is possible on the street., but I wouldn’t feel comfortable parking here, but you may not be as fretful about your car as I am Lots of great restaurants in Astoria too, a half mile walk or a couple subway stops away. We used Uber one night and it was quick

Room tip: We prefer to avoid the fifth floor(top)
Date of stay: November 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2021 via mobile

The Collective is going out of business and everyone knows it. The staff are rude and dismissive. The restaurant and bar have been stripped bare of all its inventory. There’s nothing around the hotel so you have a vending machine and a 7/11 to choose from for dining. The thermostat is set to heat only, so if you like sleeping in cooler temperatures you are forced to both turn on the furnace and open the windows to freezing temperatures. The only positive: You can tell great care was taken to select the furniture and the bedding. Skip it though.

Room tip: Avoid the elevator near the doors. Scary noises aren’t fun. Take the one by the front desk.
Date of stay: November 2021