St. Charles Hotel
US$349
US$297
Tiger House(Hudson)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmake your own wafflesmicrowave and refrigeratorthe breakfast areawalking distanceenjoyed my stayroom was clean and comfortablea great place to stayold buildingthe main streettrain stationyogurtsamexcitementnyvintagegallerieswarren
Reviewed 30 October 2017

This hotel is old but is anything but "quaint" or "charming." With the exception of the cheaply renovated lobby and the new elevator, this is a sadly run down hotel. The windows are small, making the dreary rooms even more so and the artificial lighting is marginal. One particularly undesirable feature is the fact that the sink is not in the bathroom, beyond having antiquated, pitted and rusted fixtures. When we could not get the small room safe to work, the young man at the front desk advised that all of the guestroom safes were inoperable. It is evident that this facility lacks a maintenance man or the person who tries to do this is incompetent. Many things do not work. What has been "repaired" is done in a very sloppy, slap dash manner and if you have a problem with something in your room, good luck getting it fixed. As a prime example, see the photo of the toilet tissue dispenser in the lobby men's room being held together with several strips of scotch tape that appear to have been there for quite some time. The chairs in the breakfast room have all bottomed out. We were in two rooms, one of which had very poor sound insulation, and both were very dusty and dirty. It appears that the cleaning staff does the minimum, and that the rooms have not had a good cleaning, possibly in years. There are virtually no rooms with views other than of the old, odd Hudson buildings, however, I cannot fault the hotel for this, and I frankly don't care. The rooms are grossly overpriced considering the geographic location and the poor condition of the facility. Had I known this hotel was in such bad shape, I would have booked a local B & B or driven a distance to a descent place. We were in Hudson for the wedding of a relative at The Hill, and the local hotels were booked up. I cannot recommend this hotel unless you are truly desperate.

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel or inn.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Sam A, General Manager at St. Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

Dear HAD232,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience about your recent stay at our Hotel. We take all guest feedback's very positively and seriously. I am sorry to hear your stay didn't meet your expectations. Your comments will be discussed with the appropriate departments for future improvements. I wish you all the best for your future travels.

Sam A - G.M .

Reviewed 29 October 2017

This was my second visit at the St Charles. The staff is super friendly and makes a special effort to make sure you are comfortable. The rooms are basic, but I found them to be clean and pleasant. I'm staying here again in the near future. The hotel is located within walkin distance to Warren Street. This is a big plus to me.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank agallo72

Dear agallo72,
We are so thrilled that you had such a positive stay all the time at our hotel.We appreciate your frequent business and Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the Staffs. We do hope to see you again soon.

Sam A. - GM

Reviewed 24 October 2017

First the good things:
- The hotel is centrally located in downtown Hudson.
- The reception staff were very friendly. We were there for a wedding and one of the reception staff called our room to let us know that the wedding shuttle had arrived and would be leaving in 15 minutes.

Now, the not so good:
- There was mold on the shower curtain in the room. I asked for them to replace the curtain, but instead housekeeping just came and wiped it down. Doing so did not get rid of all of the mold. I just skipped my morning shower instead. There is no excuse for not replacing the curtain.
- The rooms are worn out and in need of repair. Our wall had a dent in it, the door was chipped, and the beds just felt old.
- The pipes area old and noisy. In the middle of the night we would hear when our neighbors used the bathroom or ran the water. The walls are also pretty thin. I live in NYC and am not a light sleeper but this was enough to wake me on multiple occasions.
- It's relatively inexpensive, but it's still expensive for what it is.

Bottom line: This hotel is less expensive than other hotels in Hudson, but it's still very expensive for dated rooms, dirty bathrooms, and thin walls. Next time I'd pay a little more to get much more elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jere1
Sam A, General Manager at St. Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2017

Dear Jere1,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and submit a review of our hotel. I appreciate the comments about our Friendly Staff , However I am sorry to read of your disappointment with your recent stay. We strive to take care of all our guests and it is our goal to ensure they enjoy their stay. Again, I'm sorry that we missed the mark here. We hope to see you again soon next time.

Cheers,
Sam - GM

Reviewed 8 October 2017

My husband and I stay at the St Charles hotel 3 - 4 times a year when we drive up to Hudson, mostly for antiquing. We love the town, restaurants and shopping. I give the St Charles 5 stars, not because it is a 5 star hotel but because they give you what you need and exactly what they say they will. The hotel is well located just off the main street. It has a parking lot. It is quiet, clean, simply appointed with an attentive staff. The breakfast included is just fine. There is nothing fancy but it is also half the price of the one or two boutique hotels in town. For us, when in Hudson, we stay at the St. Charles. A great value for your $.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nancy R

Dear Nancy R, I'm really glad that you and your husband stayed with us and had such a great time. We're in a great area for walking and Yes I have to agree, We have got so many other things what our guest exactly needs. it's fantastic that you both were able to do so much. Thanks again, and we'll see you soon!

Cheers,
Sam A - GM

Reviewed 5 October 2017

Stayed here two nights whilst visiting Hudson. Clean and comfortable. Its dated, but you only sleep in the beds and thats what counted. Friendly and efficient at Reception and lots of off-street parking. Breakfast interests me. As a non American I cannot see the sense in prepackaging even thing. Even plastic cutlery, plates and cups. Is this really cheaper than having a staff member wash up? all the disposable packaging detracts from the breakfast. I'm obviously missing something!

Stayed: October 2017
1  Thank Hilary A

Thank you Hilary A! We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. and we certainly hope to have you back.