“Super food, great drinks”
Review of Hudson Food Studio

Hudson Food Studio
Ranked #10 of 92 Restaurants in Hudson
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese, Fusion
Description: Modern Southeast Asian influenced restaurant featuring local farmers and food growers.
Reviewed 22 January 2017

Had an excellent meal here tonight. Difficult to make a pick off the menu, but every choice (brusells sprouts, pork buns, pork ribs, sesame noodles) was excellent. Drinks and wine were good as well, prices moderate for Hudson. Great value. Great meal.

1  Thank Thomas W

Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

I'll admit I was skeptical. Good Vietnamese food in Hudson? On top of that, whenever I see the words asian fusion, it's usually not a good sign.

But wouldn't you know it, the food was actually very good! The menu is small, but each of the dishes is focused. And although certain components may not be authentic, that's ok, because they don't advertise to be authentic. Besides, delicious doesn't have to be authentic, imo. (In this age of globalization, what does that really mean anyway?)

The squid appetizer was spicy and tasty. The chicken pho was wonderfully aromatic, with a nice broth and tender chicken. It was even served with the accompaniments that are typical with pho... lime, thai basil, bean sprouts, and culantro (I did have to ask for hoisin sauce). Finally, the ramen was the best we'd had in the greater Albany area.

The cocktails were great. Good selection of beer but bottles only. And get there early! With only six small tables and one large communal high-top table, the place fills up fast.

1  Thank BearTS
Reviewed 6 January 2017

We first went to HFS on my husband's birthday in early 2016, when the tricksy upstate winter weather forced us to change our existing plans and stay closer to home. It felt like kismet: HFS was quietly buzzing, and we sat (grateful for the no reservations policy) at the large communal table. Giddy at finding a place open on such a rotten day, we over-ordered, keen to try pretty much everything on the menu. And it was GREAT. The brussels sprout appetizer was mind-blowingly good, the sprouts tender but still firm, the aioli tangy and sharp. The ribs with slaw was the standout dish for us both, the latter being a magical mix of crunchy raw veg and a zesty, salty, total dreamboat of a mayo dressing. We've since tried to recreate this mayo and we can't. It was ridonkulous.

The meat fell off the bone, the ramen was sweet and earthy and robust, and the garlicky greens were a joy. We both agreed that the portion sizes were a little keen (seriously, how much rice can one person eat?) but it was one of the best meals we'd had in Hudson and we were STOKED to find this little gem.

We're not sure what's happened since then. A new chef possibly? Because now the food is really weak. The last two times we've been in, we've hoped that the bland, over-cooked, under-seasoned, over-sweet dishes were one-offs, or results of a bad day. But maybe not.

Sprouts: now cooked to within an inch of their life. A mushy mess. Aioli tastes (and feels) as though it's either come out of a jar or has been made with v.cheap mayo. Waxy and sickly. The slaw... OH THE SLAW. What happened? It was so beautiful. Now it's just shredded veg with a dollop of equally sad mayo, no seasoning, no zest, no fire. Would be disappointed if I bought that in a Walmart. The salads are fine, but again, everything is under-seasoned (if seasoned at all).

The noodle dishes, while cooked well and using fresh ingredients, are so drenched in sweet sauces (why America, WHY?????) that they're almost inedible, and out of five dishes, I tasted a total of ZERO spices. No bite, no heat. Nothing but soy sauce, mint and basil. I don't know how HFS are calling themselves Vietnamese with a straight face.

Also, the menu has barely changed in a year. A YEAR! In prime farm country, with the most amazing local food producers on their doorstep.

I WANT to love this place so badly, because it's adorable and the staff are the sweetest (when we first ate here, we fell in love with our waitress. She was a total delight, and super polite about how gluttonous we'd just been), but it's like the chef/owners are just phoning it in.

Am not one to write negative reviews for the sake of it: rather, am hoping the restaurant sees this and takes heed! PLEASE. Whatever you had, you've lost, and we're probably not going to be heading back. Which is a total bummer, because your potential to be a regular haunt is huge. Change up the menu, season season season (we added lime juice, mayo, salt and spices to the slaw one takeout and it improved exponentially), don't be afraid to add spice, don't add sugar to everything. I'll cook your sprouts for you! (Coconut oil, chilli flakes, touch of salt and keep em firm: Job's a good'un).

If I were making a recommendation, I'd head to Back Bar instead. The food is less fresh and more stodgy, sure, but it packs way more of a flavor punch and actually employs Asian spices! Noodles + broth + sugar does not Vietnamese food make.

We want to come back and eat the kind of meal we ate when we first found you! Come back to us, dear hearts!

2  Thank LittleBarlow
Reviewed 5 December 2016

We went here on the winter walk 2016. I had never been before and enjoyed it very much. The waitress was very nice and attentive. We had the pork buns, Pho and Ramen. The Ramen was my favorite!! My son who is 5 loved it as well. The space is very small but the food is amazing. I would definitely go back!!!!!!!

Reviewed 27 November 2016 via mobile

I can see why this is a popular place. Fresh, inventive and delicious. We had the warm sesame noodles and the Braised Chinese eggplant both were very good. Casual and friendly. Decent wine selection and interesting cocktails.

1  Thank Mojov