The Barlow
  • Breakfast included
Yorkshire Motel(Claverack)
Elm Tree Motel(Craryville)
View Hotel
All reviewsexercise roomin townold buildingpublic lotnice boutique hotelking suitefront desk staffwarren stwithin walking distanceconvenient locationthis past weekendspacious bathroomcup of coffeethe main streetshops and restaurantsattention to detailmarlowe
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Barlow on an unseasonably perfect February weekend. We booked a king suite because this was a winter getaway so a fireplace and a bath tub were both required. We arrived early but our room was prepared so we checked right in.
Check in was actually the only encounter I had with any staff over a 48hr period. The whole place has a very laissez faire vibe to it. This was fine for us, but expect there to be no one around. The place is cashless, has a online reservation system, and has surveillance cameras everywhere. I'm thinking this is a side gig for the owner.
The king suite is a nice size room with a lounge area and a spacious bathroom. The Kurig had an absurd amount of choices, with good reason and cocoa. Attention was also spent on picking high end toiletries. The king bed was firm and comfy, with great feather pillows. The bathtub was great for one, not so much for two. The car wash shower was impressive to look at, but a bit vulgar, I mean really a bit much.
Housekeeping seems to do a good superficial cleaning, but cleanliness could be improved. There were crumbs in the couch cushions, stains and burns on the rug, and the tub needed a scrubbing before I filled it. The electronic fireplace didn't quite work right either. I called down and the guy just agreed that the fireplace was a bit flaky.
The Barlow was pretty much exactly what expected overall. The room was unapologetically​ expensive, and the service was nonexistent, but the location was perfect, and the style was right on.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Russell G, Owner at The Barlow, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2017

No. Not a side gig - we're definitely involved. Our thought is that people stay with us to get to know Hudson, not our staff. We're genuinely sorry to hear about the crumbs and the tub - I've spoken to our Housekeeping staff and sincerely apologize. That is not ever acceptable. As for the rug, I looked into it with our General Manager. Someone clearly dropped a hot curling iron onto the rug and melted it (it's a synthetic material). Slightly visible but hopefully not enough to ruin someone's stay. Good location and style but flaky fireplace, vulgar shower, unapologetically expensive and non-existent service. Well, we thank you for the 4 stars just the same.

Reviewed 10 February 2017 via mobile

This hotel is certainly nicer than other hotels in Hudson... however for $200 / night, they put me in a handicap accessible room (I'm sure they were not sold out). The location is perfect, but I'd check out the other hotel (Rivertown Lodge) next time.

Stayed: February 2017
Russell G, Owner at The Barlow, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2017

Hey! Thanks for your comments. So, you're right. We weren't sold out, and had you asked to be moved we would have been more than happy to move you. For clarification: When you booked your reservation you selected the Accessible Room yourself - we didn't "put you" in the room. Finally, visitors have a great selection of terrific properties in Hudson, Rivertown Lodge is certainly one of them. However a comparable room to the room in which you stayed would have cost $265/night or 30% more versus the $205 you paid at The Barlow. But definitely check it out and we hope you have a wonderful stay there. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Reviewed 4 February 2017

I was originally very impressed with how nice the staff person was when I checked in. I was staying there for three nights. After one night I complained that people were smoking (cigarettes and pot) on the patio late at night and it was coming in my room even thought all the windows were shut. At first the person seemed sympathetic and said she would see what she could do for me. I asked to speak with the manager and she said she couldn't give me their direct number, but would ask them to call me. no call ever came. next night and early morning, same problem. Made another complaint and was simply told that there was nothing they could do for me - no discount, no room change, NOTHING! I was even told that I was staying in the least expensive room (essentially saying that I wasn't paying enough to deserve any special accommodations). I DO NOT recommend this place. Terrible customer service.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank HB207

Our Front Desk Associate was right - we can't control whether people smoke (pot or otherwise) outside the Hotel just like we can't control whether someone's car alarm goes off in the parking lot behind the building or someone is playing loud music on Warren Street in front. [FYI - The Barlow actually offers a smoking station on our rear patio as a convenience for our smoking guests, to ensure the hotel remains smoke free inside.] Not sure how a discount would have made the smell go away, as you indicated, nor how a Manager could have done to stop the smoking/smell from happening, but kudos to you for tolerating it for three days. Finally guests staying in our more affordable rooms receive the same high-level of service as guests staying in our Suites. Suggesting otherwise, and that our Front Desk Associate would actually SAY such a thing, is quite frankly insulting. We hope that, if your travel plans bring you back to Hudson, you will find accommodations which better suit your needs.

Reviewed 19 December 2016

The Barlow was recommended to me third hand and I was very happy. Staff very friendly and helpful with local information. Room was clean and well appointed. This is an old style inn and not a hotel, so don't expect room service or dining service. There are many very good places to eat with in a short safe walk. The off the street parking is the public lot behind the inn and you get a nightly parking permit. I've already book my next stay.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
Russell G, Owner at The Barlow, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2016

Thanks so much for the phenomenal review! We're thrilled you had such an awesome stay and that The Barlow and our staff were able to make your stay enjoyable. While the Keurig coffeemakers in the guest rooms are great for that first cup in the morning, there are wonderful restaurants right down Warren Street, many of them offering guests of The Barlow a discount. We're also happy to hear that you made use of the complimentary parking lot conveniently located right behind the hotel. Best of all we're happy to hear you already have a return visit planned. Once again our sincerest thanks and we look forward to seeing you back soon!

Reviewed 6 December 2016

The Barlow is a nice hotel located in the center of town with an extremely friendly staff. The rooms are nicely decorated with an eclectic mix contemporary that still honors the history of the town. I did feel that is was lacking a place to sit and have a cup of coffee or a cocktail, however.

Room Tip: there aren't any views in any of he rooms and I would stay off of the first floor...
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Russell G, Owner at The Barlow, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2016

So glad you enjoyed your stay at The Barlow and that our staff was knowledgeable and helpful. We're happy you appreciated the design of the hotel, blending the historic charm of the building with modern amenities - reflecting Hudson's eclectic nature. Our central location makes it ideal to walk to all the wonderful restaurants, bars, shops and cafes just a short walk away. Even though you can enjoy a hot cup of coffee in your room from our complimentary Keurig coffeemakers (K-cups included!), so many of our wonderful Privileges Partners do coffee and cocktails so much better than we ever could. Thanks again for the terrific comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!