“Beautiful mansion and environment ”

Olana State Historic Site
Ranked #1 of 29 things to do in Hudson
More attraction details
Owner description: Hudson River School painter Frederic E. Church designed Olana, his family home, studio, and estate, as an integrated environment embracing architecture, art, and landscape. Olana, a National Historic Landmark, is an icon of naturalistic landscape design, with five miles of carriage roads and a Persian-inspired house at its summit, embracing unrivaled panoramic views of the vast Hudson River Valley. Today, visitors can experience an array of activities, from meandering through the 250 acre artist designed landscape, to taking a tour of the house and surrounding landscape, to viewing the changing exhibitions both in the main house and a gallery devoted to contemporary photography. They can see a 17 minute award-winning video on the property and a permanent orientation exhibit. They can also participate in a variety of educational programs in the Wagon House Education Center, including a free backpack program that includes a variety of projects for children.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I was very surprised as I wasn’t sure what to expect. The mention is gorgeous and the environment is beautiful and very peaceful. If you need a peace and serenity this is the right place. Love the story behind it too. It belonged to a family of artists who faced big tragedy. I’ll certainly come back and i strongly recommend.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

I was looking for something unique to do with a friend from the Lake George area while I was visiting home in Albany, NY.

I had very briefly been to the Hudson area four years ago and thinking it had a cool liberal vibe for Upstate New York.

I needed to find something to do for the day to entertain my friend and me. I looked on Trip Advisor and discovered Olana was a mere hour drive from where I was staying.

I read that tickets book up fast, but I was lucky to secure our tour tickets online the night before we went since it was for a Friday. Tickets for adults are $9 and you are provided with a 1 hour guided tour. We reserved the tickets online for free and paid for them at the gift shop when we arrived.

Our guide was good and told us some great stories about the history of the home and its owners. I'm not an art connoisseur by any means, but I did love seeing the paintings inside the house and learning about the story behind some of them.

I visited Turkey in 2013, so I have an appreciation for Middle Eastern style and art. The house has a good amount of this, which I really enjoyed.

I especially loved the architecture and design of the exterior of the home. It must have been amazing to live in this gorgeous house with the beautiful views of the Hudson River. I love how the house appears to have been specifically designed to capitalize on the sweeping views of the river and the mountains.

The grounds of the house are beautiful! It was chilly the day we went, so I wasn't up for wandering the grounds, but there seem to be some great walking trails. If it had been 65 and sunny, I would have loved to explore more.

The city of Hudson itself is really cool and has a great NYC vibe to it. I myself really appreciated all of the signs displayed by the shops about hope and messages of tolerance. It's a great little city with lots of art galleries and funky restaurants.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Go do this! what a great experience- worth it- also took the electric carriage tour of the grounds... they are expansive

1  Thank autumn c
Reviewed 7 October 2017

I'm a huge Thomas Cole fan, so I had to see Olana. Bright and colorful mix between an art museum and a history museum.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

I have little patience for being herded through these dusty old estates with all of their re-assembled attempts at authenticity, but Olana is a place to itself, astonishingly beautiful in its setting and vividly immediate and authentic in nearly every way. Nearly everything in the house is original, the guides are patient and knowledgeable, and every new room and each new vista is breathtaking, fascinating and a reflection of a truly unique and unusual mind. A day on the grounds alone would be worth the trip. Most of the other estate-museums on the Hudson are merely piles to commemorate someone's massive fortune, but Olana is a work of genius and beauty that is very much worth the journey.