“Quaint”
Review of Kozel's Restaurant

Kozel's Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 8 Restaurants in Ghent
Reviewed 17 September 2017

Rediscovered kozels after many years. Local favorite. Good cheap drinks. Plenty of food with any meal.

Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

Family owned and managed. Food is excellent. Staff is great. Best local joint in the area. Recommend to anyone local or passing by.

Reviewed 20 February 2017 via mobile

Great steaks. The English Cut Prime Rib is delicious and big enough for just about anyone.
Medium rare - yummy!

Reviewed 1 September 2016 via mobile

A nice restaurant with large portions (the relish trays can be a meal!). Food is average, nothing glamorous, but large portions and very good prices

Reviewed 23 August 2016

My wife was born & raised not far from Ghent, and one of her favorite restaurants has always been Kozel's.

A bit over a month ago, we went back to visit her parents for a week, and made a point to eat here.

My first impressions? WOW! Very much like family restaurants I went to as a little kid. NOBODY else these days brings out a plate of various veggies (pickles, radishes, celery, and whatnot.) Decor and ambiance was 1970's... and there is NOTHING wrong with that!

Frankly, it was over a month ago, so don't remember what everyone ate, but I can say that my Mother in law had the roast sirloin of beef with gravy, and she was VERY pleased with it. Don't recall what my wife, or her father had, but each were quite satisfied.

Me? I ordered the broiled lamb chops. When I ordered, I specified that I would like them rare. When our food came out, every dish but mine seemed wonderful. My lamb chops? They weren't rare, they weren't medium rare... OKAY, I'll get to the point - they were shoe leather "well done." I simply could not eat them. I did not want to raise a fuss, but I was truly very hungry, so I sent them back. Will say? The lamb chops I received in return were absolutely cooked just how I wanted them, and the rest of my meal was incredible.

Obviously, something went wrong with MY part of the order, but everything else that came to the table was wonderful - and my 2nd plate was again, everything I'd hoped for.

So? Gonna go with 4 stars, as everything was EXCELLENT as eaten.

Also? Just wish we'd been there on a particular day when they feature monkfish - you just don't see that much of anywhere!