“Not worth the money!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durham
Hull-O Farms, Family Farm Vacations
Reviewed 13 October 2016

What a disappointment! This place does not give you a real farm experience -- it is a mere facade, and an overpriced facade at that. "Feeding the animals" was giving a few pieces of hay through the fences to the sheep and watching one of the workers feed the cows. "Milking the cows" meant that the children could give 2 or 3 squeezes of the cow. "Collecting chicken eggs" was gathering eggs that the workers had set out in the hen house as the hens were housed elsewhere. The food was ok; nothing special and not enough. Pancakes or french toast for breakfast, pasta for dinner. The lodgings were rundown; bathroom was unclean and had expired medicine from 2006 in the medicine cabinet. Farmer Frank and Sherry left us feeling like this was a farm show and they were doing it solely for the income and trying to squeeze as much money out of guests as possible. Oh yes, the 10% gratuity fee was the icing on the cake. It is basically a petting zoo (and a small one at that) with some rooms thrown in with it so they can charge more. Definitely not what was advertised and not worth the money. Skip this place and go somewhere else.

Room Tip: there are none
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
4  Thank ny_murray
cook51, Owner at Hull-O Farms, Family Farm Vacations, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2016

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you had a dissatisfied experience.

I assure you that we are a real farm which actually has been in operation by the Hull family for over two centuries. I apologize if you felt misguided in anyway about the experience we offer. We believe that small sustainable rather than large scale agriculture is better for the animals, the land and for those that share in it's bounty. We raise many animals including sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, beef & dairy heifers. We also harvest several thousand bales of hay and our vegetable garden is full of veggies for our guests to enjoy.

Unfortunately for our recent guests, including your group we had to move our chickens out of the chicken coop because of a raccoon invasion. I'm sorry you weren't able to have the true experience that we offer our guests but the safety of our chickens had to come first.

I am sorry our meals did not meet your expectations. We strive to always provide our guests with an abundance and a variety of food and we do believe that we accomplish this time and time again.

Our bathrooms are cleaned 3 to 4 times daily and we are happy to attend to them whenever necessary.

We often express to our guests how grateful we are that they have chosen us for their vacation as we realize that agri-tourism offers a multitude of farm experiences to choose from. Farmer Frank will sometimes say "we are here because of you". There is no doubt that our guest program has been an important factor in sustaining our farm. We are truly grateful for all of the guests that have graced our doorsteps over our 22 years of offering the farm vacation. It has been as place where folks can come to connect with the land, farm animals and each other.

All of our prices are stated on our website. There are also several offers for discounted pricing for guests to take advantage of.

Since it is our goal to do everything within our means to offer our guests a positive experience I would like to offer you a compensation for your stay. Please contact me so that I can proceed with your full refund.

Reviewed 7 September 2016

My 2 year old had so much fun. There are lots of kittens and cats, some bunnies, cows, dogs, goats, chickens, horses, deer, ducks... the cottage we stayed in was beautiful, clean, a little remote from the farm, but very quiet. The owners are wonderful people, very warm, welcoming,

2  Thank Marika444
cook51, Owner at Hull-O Farms, Family Farm Vacations, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2016

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! I’m glad to hear that your accommodations were comfortable, and that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 2 September 2016

I originally stumbled upon a reference to Hullo Farm in a web article about 10 vacations that will change your life, and immediately decided it would be a perfect place to take my grandchildren 6 and 10. In doing further research I found that it is the only such venue in new England that allows guests to actually help with chores like milking, gathering eggs, etc. Our visit to Hullo Farm turned out to be the best experience I've ever shared with my grandkids. As other reviewers have said, Miss Sherry is the role model for the sweeet, kind and capable farm wife; Jared, is a gentle giant who relates so well to both adults and children and goes out of his way to make your stay enjoyable. And Farmer Frank obviously loves the land that his ancestors settled centuries ago. Most children today grow up far from the source of the food they consume and don't realize the valuable role that farming plays in our lives. And more importantly our family farms are in danger of disappearing from the American landscape. To sum it up, my grandson wrote in the guest book that going to Hullo Farm was the best experience of his life. You owe it to yourself, your children and/or your grandchildren to visit Hullo Farm!!! P. S. Farmer Frank and Jared offer a variety of meats that they prepare on the farm. Their smoked bacon is the best I have ever had!

Room Tip: Rose Cottage is the nearest accommodation to the farm house. It sleeps 4 plus people, and is immacul...
2  Thank Karen F

Thank you so much for your lovely review and kind words, Karen! It’s so nice to know that your vacation lived up to the article you found us in, and that you enjoyed your time with the grandkids. That you found your experiences here to be fun as well as educational is especially wonderful to hear.

Thanks again for taking the time to write,

Reviewed 1 August 2016

I am the most popular aunt ever right now! I took my neice to Hull-O Farm and she was in heaven, playing with the animals and feeding them, and milking a cow and getting eggs. It was simple, safe and she loved it. Accommodations super clean, and food excellent. There are cute country stores within 20 minutes. Great place to live the simple country life for a weekend.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
cook51, Owner at Hull-O Farms, Family Farm Vacations, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2016

Thank you for your lovely review! It’s always a joy to share our farm and the beautiful area we live in with other families, and it’s great to hear that your niece enjoyed it. Enjoy that ‘best aunt’ title- you’ve earned it!

Thanks again,

Reviewed 31 July 2016

Wow! What a vacation! My wife and I along with our two girls (ages 10 and 9) visited Hull-O Farms recently and couldn’t be happier that we did. I rated the trip 5 stars, but if Trip Advisor would allow it I’d give it more (my 10 year old rated it “a 20 out of a 10!”). I had stayed on a farm as a boy and always remembered it as so much fun, so I wanted my girls to experience the same and it was everything I remembered and more! A few of the details:

The Farm:
Hull-O farms is a beautiful 300 acre farm in the middle of the Catskills. The views are amazing and the farm itself is terrific. Though the farm cultivates corn and hay, the main focus is the animals, which include cows, horses, pigs, deer, chickens, sheep, goats, bunnies, dogs and cats (My girls particularly adored the kittens and bunnies and literally spent hours playing with them and feeding them). The day starts and ends with “chores” which actively involve each guest on the farm, but are particularly focused on the kids. This is no petting zoo though so the farmers get each person who chooses to (all voluntary), involved in feeding the animals, milking the cows, collecting eggs, etc. If only my girls loved doing their chores at home so much! Before and after chores guests are free to roam the farm, play with the smaller animals, relax on the hammock, explore the surrounding area, or partake in activities that the farmers arrange (including a hayride and tour led by Farmer Frank, fishing led by son Jared, or a campfire at night with smores). Lots to do overall and the perfect mix of active and relaxation.

The Food:
If you like a hearty meal, you will love this place. Miss Sherry prepares a family style breakfast and dinner (which are included) for all guests each day, and it was tremendous each meal. The menus vary but are always fresh and delicious. (My favorite dish was Miss Sherry’s sweet potato casserole with caramelized pecans on top). Given that the farm doesn’t cultivate all types of food, not everything comes directly from it’s fields and stables, but all of it is sourced locally and you could tell it was always fresh. My family really enjoys eating out and if this were a standalone restaurant, we would return to it again and again.

The Family:
At the core of an experience like this are the people that you interact with at the farm and how much the farmers get you involved, whether they happy to have you there, whether they are interested to interact with you, etc. Given that Hull-O has lots of experience with hosting families, I assumed that the family would be pleasant, but this is the area which truly blew me away. I can’t stress enough how hard Miss Sherry, Farmer Frank, Jared, and their staff work to make sure you enjoy the experience. It goes without saying that they will do just about anything to ensure you are happy, but to me, it was the personal touches that so impressed me and will keep me coming back (and recommending this to anyone who will listen!). Whether it was the passion in Farmer Frank’s voice as he took us on a tour of his farm, Jared’s ease at interacting with our kids and his willingness to take us fishing at a local pond and help my kids who had never done it before, or Miss Sherry’s wonderful conversation about her life and work after meals, I really felt like I was part of their world. These are truly “real” people and I can’t thank them enough for sharing their home and work with my family. Although we were only there for 4 days, I can honestly say that I felt like I came as a guest and left as part of their extended family.

Thank you Hull’s for such a wonderful vacation!

1  Thank mborden575

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! It means so much that you took the time to share your experiences, and more importantly that your family felt so at home here with us. It’s always our goal to make our guests feel like family because that’s truly what you all become while you’re here. To be able to read and see that you got so much out of your stay with us is actually overwhelming in the best way possible, because I simply don’t have the words to express how appreciated it is. Every ounce of hard work is beyond worth it when we know our guests are happy.

Thanks again for everything,
Miss Sherry

Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
10.0 km away
2.9 km away
The Country Place Resort at Zoom Flume Water Park
5.8 km away
Captains Inn Point Lookout

Been to Hull-O Farms, Family Farm Vacations? Share your experiences!