“The best vacation ever with my grandchildren!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durham
Hull-O Farms, Family Farm Vacations
Reviewed 2 September 2016

I originally stumbled upon a reference to Hullo Farm in a web article about 10 vacations that will change your life, and immediately decided it would be a perfect place to take my grandchildren 6 and 10. In doing further research I found that it is the only such venue in new England that allows guests to actually help with chores like milking, gathering eggs, etc. Our visit to Hullo Farm turned out to be the best experience I've ever shared with my grandkids. As other reviewers have said, Miss Sherry is the role model for the sweeet, kind and capable farm wife; Jared, is a gentle giant who relates so well to both adults and children and goes out of his way to make your stay enjoyable. And Farmer Frank obviously loves the land that his ancestors settled centuries ago. Most children today grow up far from the source of the food they consume and don't realize the valuable role that farming plays in our lives. And more importantly our family farms are in danger of disappearing from the American landscape. To sum it up, my grandson wrote in the guest book that going to Hullo Farm was the best experience of his life. You owe it to yourself, your children and/or your grandchildren to visit Hullo Farm!!! P. S. Farmer Frank and Jared offer a variety of meats that they prepare on the farm. Their smoked bacon is the best I have ever had!

Room Tip: Rose Cottage is the nearest accommodation to the farm house. It sleeps 4 plus people, and is immacul...
2  Thank Karen F
cook51, Owner at Hull-O Farms, Family Farm Vacations, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2016

Thank you so much for your lovely review and kind words, Karen! It’s so nice to know that your vacation lived up to the article you found us in, and that you enjoyed your time with the grandkids. That you found your experiences here to be fun as well as educational is especially wonderful to hear.

Thanks again for taking the time to write,

Reviewed 1 August 2016

I am the most popular aunt ever right now! I took my neice to Hull-O Farm and she was in heaven, playing with the animals and feeding them, and milking a cow and getting eggs. It was simple, safe and she loved it. Accommodations super clean, and food excellent. There are cute country stores within 20 minutes. Great place to live the simple country life for a weekend.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
cook51, Owner at Hull-O Farms, Family Farm Vacations, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2016

Thank you for your lovely review! It’s always a joy to share our farm and the beautiful area we live in with other families, and it’s great to hear that your niece enjoyed it. Enjoy that ‘best aunt’ title- you’ve earned it!

Thanks again,

Reviewed 31 July 2016

Wow! What a vacation! My wife and I along with our two girls (ages 10 and 9) visited Hull-O Farms recently and couldn’t be happier that we did. I rated the trip 5 stars, but if Trip Advisor would allow it I’d give it more (my 10 year old rated it “a 20 out of a 10!”). I had stayed on a farm as a boy and always remembered it as so much fun, so I wanted my girls to experience the same and it was everything I remembered and more! A few of the details:

The Farm:
Hull-O farms is a beautiful 300 acre farm in the middle of the Catskills. The views are amazing and the farm itself is terrific. Though the farm cultivates corn and hay, the main focus is the animals, which include cows, horses, pigs, deer, chickens, sheep, goats, bunnies, dogs and cats (My girls particularly adored the kittens and bunnies and literally spent hours playing with them and feeding them). The day starts and ends with “chores” which actively involve each guest on the farm, but are particularly focused on the kids. This is no petting zoo though so the farmers get each person who chooses to (all voluntary), involved in feeding the animals, milking the cows, collecting eggs, etc. If only my girls loved doing their chores at home so much! Before and after chores guests are free to roam the farm, play with the smaller animals, relax on the hammock, explore the surrounding area, or partake in activities that the farmers arrange (including a hayride and tour led by Farmer Frank, fishing led by son Jared, or a campfire at night with smores). Lots to do overall and the perfect mix of active and relaxation.

The Food:
If you like a hearty meal, you will love this place. Miss Sherry prepares a family style breakfast and dinner (which are included) for all guests each day, and it was tremendous each meal. The menus vary but are always fresh and delicious. (My favorite dish was Miss Sherry’s sweet potato casserole with caramelized pecans on top). Given that the farm doesn’t cultivate all types of food, not everything comes directly from it’s fields and stables, but all of it is sourced locally and you could tell it was always fresh. My family really enjoys eating out and if this were a standalone restaurant, we would return to it again and again.

The Family:
At the core of an experience like this are the people that you interact with at the farm and how much the farmers get you involved, whether they happy to have you there, whether they are interested to interact with you, etc. Given that Hull-O has lots of experience with hosting families, I assumed that the family would be pleasant, but this is the area which truly blew me away. I can’t stress enough how hard Miss Sherry, Farmer Frank, Jared, and their staff work to make sure you enjoy the experience. It goes without saying that they will do just about anything to ensure you are happy, but to me, it was the personal touches that so impressed me and will keep me coming back (and recommending this to anyone who will listen!). Whether it was the passion in Farmer Frank’s voice as he took us on a tour of his farm, Jared’s ease at interacting with our kids and his willingness to take us fishing at a local pond and help my kids who had never done it before, or Miss Sherry’s wonderful conversation about her life and work after meals, I really felt like I was part of their world. These are truly “real” people and I can’t thank them enough for sharing their home and work with my family. Although we were only there for 4 days, I can honestly say that I felt like I came as a guest and left as part of their extended family.

Thank you Hull’s for such a wonderful vacation!

1  Thank mborden575

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! It means so much that you took the time to share your experiences, and more importantly that your family felt so at home here with us. It’s always our goal to make our guests feel like family because that’s truly what you all become while you’re here. To be able to read and see that you got so much out of your stay with us is actually overwhelming in the best way possible, because I simply don’t have the words to express how appreciated it is. Every ounce of hard work is beyond worth it when we know our guests are happy.

Thanks again for everything,

Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

I just finished a 3 night stay with my cousin Heather & friend Stephanie at Hull-O Farms. We smiled from the moment we arrived! Sherry, Farmer Frank & Jared are the most kindhearted family I know! Jared taught me how to collect eggs from under a hen! I collected 3 eggs! My best memory ever! I learned how to milk a heffer - which I know now is a female cow and a bull is a male cow. We collected flowers to feed to the bunnies! The bunnies are so soft, all the animals are friendly & beautiful! The view is heavenly! The horses are majestic! Miss Sherry is the BEST meal maker! So creative and SO DELICIOUS! It was so nice to eat breakfast & dinner with all the other families! Then after dinner sit & talk & laugh & laugh on the porch, on the grass or in the hammock and watch and see how much fun all the children were having. I got a lot of laughs out of the kittens chasing around a ball it was so funny! I met 4 other families while we were there and everybody became fast friends! I appreciate and am very thankful for all the hard work farmer families do! If you want to learn, laugh, play, RELAX, make new friends, and enjoy a trip then you have to choose Hull-O Farms!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review! It’s wonderful to hear that you all enjoyed your stay, and that you left with good memories and better friends. I have to agree that the view is heavenly; it’s too beautiful around here to keep it all to ourselves so we love to share!

All the best,

Reviewed 26 July 2016

We were in love the minute we drove up in front with all the beautiful flowers and animals all right there. We were greeted by the son, Jared, and was thrilled to meet Farmer Frank. I didn't have the pleasure of meeting Miss Sherry until the next morning. It was worth the wait. She is charming, sweet and her food is to die for. Five star in my opinion. She is assisted by some lovely local young woman with the process and they were friendly and very efficient. Now for the chores as they call them, Jared is like the Pied Piper the girls were so happy to work along side of him each day to feed all of the animals. He was patient, informative and hysterically funny. The girls talked about him most of the way home until they fell blissfully off to sleep. Farmer Frank was wonderful and gave us a hayride our last morning. Their land and the views are breathtaking. He had us totally glued to the stories of his families history back to the Revolutionary War. I was moved thinking about it and love that he shares these tidbits and keeps the history alive. You can keep Disney we're heading back there next summer....... Betsy S.

Room Tip: This is a whole guest house complete with eatin kitchen.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Betsy! I love to cook and Farmer Frank loves to share our history just as much as you enjoy the food and stories, so we look forward to doing it again! I’ll have to tell Jared that he’s our very own Pied Piper, he’ll appreciate that.

Until next year,
Miss Sherry

Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
5.8 km away
Captains Inn Point Lookout
2.9 km away
The Country Place Resort at Zoom Flume Water Park
8.9 km away
Michael Dee's Motel / Country Campsites

Been to Hull-O Farms, Family Farm Vacations? Share your experiences!