All reviewsnothing fancymaintained propertykaaterskill fallsshuffle boardgameplaygroundseesawgroundstilemattressescleanlinessmike
Reviewed 11 June 2018

I'd love to give Mike and his little Red Ranch Motel a higher rating! If you're not allergic to mold this motel is a 4 or 5 based on its value, cleanliness, and friendly staff. Mike has done a great job rejuvenating an old roadside motel from the 1950s or 60s. It's still got many old touches but also shows it's being updated as much as possible.

Now for the mold problem. I was in a ground floor room, Room 119. I checked in and promptly left for an event. I returned late and then realized how moldy the room smelled. I had to gut it out, but being allergic to mold, I had a nasty reaction overnight and the next day---migraine and body aches.

So my advice is if you are ok with a moldy smell and tolerate mold, then this is a nice choice for the area. Perhaps, the 2d floor rooms don't have this issue. If you are mold sensitive, check the 2d floor rooms or seek another motel/hotel.

Room Tip: 2d floor rooms will be quieter and, perhaps, not moldy.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank thefundguru
MikeyGu, Owner at Red Ranch Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2018

Thanks for the review. After reading your review I personally inspected the room. It did smell slightly musty when I opened the door, but I went over every inch of the bathroom and bedroom and cannot find any mold growth whatsoever. I still had housekeeping spray everything in the bathroom with Chlorox. They also could find no evidence of mold. Maybe musty would have been a better description. I am sorry you had an issue.

Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

This was the Motel chosen by my geology professor for our class to stay at while on our Sed/Strat trip this October. The rooms are as my classmate referred to them, so out of the 80's and who cares because it's clean, spacious, (our room had three beds as did the boys room next door), family oriented, has a great resturant next door, did I mention clean because it really was and topper this place has a Seesaw!!!!!!. If you're looking for new, lavish or plush, keep looking. If you want a clean place to sleep, eat, and seesaw, you'll find it here. Mini-fridge and coffee maker. I'd like to mention, McLovin made his first cup of coffee here. They grow up so fast. Lol

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2017

Stayed 2 different weekends this year. Both were excellent as usual. If you want clean rooms at an affordable place to use as a base while you check out the Catskills this is the place. Close to North Lake, Hunter, water falls, swimming holes and right next door is Angela's with great food and drinks.

Stayed: October 2017
Reviewed 23 August 2017

We have just finished another short stay at the Red Ranch. We've been going there for over ten years (mostly in the summer, but also in the spring and fall), and we love it! The owners are great people, and they maintain a friendly, clean place. Staying at the Red Ranch, we get a sense of motor travel as it's been in the region in the past--brought up to date with wi-fi, etc. Clients are friendly, and include families. There's a playground and video game area for kids, two quiet lawns for adults to sit and listen to birds, and a pool that accommodates kids and adults alike. The proximity to the Catskill Mountains makes for beautiful views nearby, as well as hiking. (We often draw the mature trees on site, and skip the hike!) The next-door restaurant is very good, and it serves artisanal beers to those who like them. Historic Sugerties, Catskill, and Woodstock are nearby for antiquers, people watchers, and those (like us) who like a good cup of espresso. The "no pets" policy is fine with us--we enjoy the clean lawns and the peace and quiet. Rooms vary in size and decoration, and they're all very clean and comfortable. We keep cold drinks in the fridge. We'll be back soon; we know we won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Front, back, up, down--they're all good--but slightly more expensive rooms in the back are the quietest.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FrancisW472
Reviewed 19 August 2017

Just spent two nights there and was very satisfied, it is a motel so nothing fancy just a well kept establishment.
Check in is a breeze ,rooms spotless as well as the grounds. The pool was clean and plenty of places to sit and relax.The restaurant right next door is a good pert food was very good and no need to take the car out and fight the dark to drive in. For the price it can not be beat you will not be disappointed

Stayed: August 2017