“Great Safari Experience”

and 1 more site!
Garonga Safari Camp
Reviewed 25 April 2017

We stayed at Little Goranga in a family suite with our family of 4. The lodge is amazing you cannot fault it. Our suite had a little plunge pool which was an added bonus to our children. The rooms very very comfortable and the staff attended and catered to our every need. We loved the personalized service and attention which comes as part of being owner run lodge who is very engaging and hands on. We had a lovely Bombay dinner one night where we met with other guests and on other days we ate at Little Goranga. They were happy to accommodate whatever our dining preferences were.
It was a lovely viewing deck where we could enjoy our drinks during the day and watch herds of elephants or other animals pass by.
The food was very good. Our favorite was a bush breakfast served during a early morning game drive on a dry river bank. We had a giraffe visit us at bfast which was a highlight for our children.
The game viewing was very good we saw a pride of lions feeding on a waterbuck and got a good glimpse of the elusive leopard.
My personal highlight was spending the night in a sleep out post. Very few lodges give this option and it is definitely a worthwhile experience.
We hope to go back to Little Goranga someday.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Zayzu
BERNARDO S, Owner at Garonga Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2017

So glad you enjoyed your family safari.
You seemed to have seen a lot of Game. The sleepout is always something to be remembered.
Best Regards
bernie

Reviewed 15 April 2017 via mobile

My husband and I had a three night honeymoon here. The "tents" were amazing and spacious with enough amenities so you didn't feel like you were roughing it. Very clean. The view outside our tent was just as beautiful; we could often see giraffes from our balcony. The staff, especially Charlotte, were all amazing and ready to help with any detail. I have a very specific diet and they fully accommodated me, not once making me feel silly for being picky. The food was delicious and the alcohol selection was also very good. I honestly can't think of one negative. Our safari guide made sure to find whatever animal we were looking for that day. We saw lions, rhinos, giraffes, zebra, buffalo, elephants, hippos, just to name a few! The sundowners (or happy hour as we call it) during the evening game drive with snacks and drinks was always a nice way to end the day with a beautiful sunset. I would definitely recommend coming here!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
BERNARDO S, Owner at Garonga Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2017

That's very kind of you! Very positive feedback that the Staff, and myself will be thrilled.
Charlotte and her Team are indeed very special , and have a very careful balance of "Service" and when not to intrude.
You seemed to have seen a lot of Game, so all credit to the Safari team.
The Chefs do indeed accommodate without any fuss.
I'm so glad you enjoyed your Honeymoon here.
Best Wishes

Reviewed 10 April 2017

It was our first visit in South Africa and also our first safari/game experience.
We spent 3 wonderful days in March, far from civilization and in the middle of nature and animals, just as expected. Thank you to all the Staff !

Rooms:
In Garonga Safari camp is divided in 2 parts, the main camp (6 luxury tents) and Little Garonga (3 "suites"). This is important to know before booking.
We stayed in Little Garonga, in the Chiltern Suite, which offered a "real" house with air-conditioning, indoor bathroom and outdoor shower, wifi, as well as a platform deck.
Rooms are very nice, very clean and you feel safe even if animals can eventually come outside.
Maybe view is not so nice as the one you have from tents but you have others advantages.

Service:
Amazing also. Little Garonga has its own dedicated dining place and staff for breakfast, lunch and diner as well as a smaller but also dedicated swimming pool.
Food and drinks/alcohol are all inclusive. Of course you can pay for extra alcohol and wine but honestly the wine included is very fine. We did not buy additional ones.

Extras:
Not tested except the shop.
Otherwise you can have as extra the bush bath, massages...

Standard day:
- Wake up between 5am and 5:30am
- First game between 6am and 9:30am (quick coffee before if you want)
- Brunch at 9:30am
- Free time (usually we slept a little bit)
- Lunch at 2pm (light and refreshing)
- Game at 4pm until 7pm, including apero around 6pm to enjoy the sunset
- Diner around 7:30pm

The Games
We had 2 wonderful guide and tracker, CJ and Phineas that teached us a lot.
We saw almost all animals: lion, rhino, elephant, giraffe, hippos, cheetah, buffalos, kudu, zebras... except Leopard but it will be a good reason to come back
We really appreciated the place for the sunset break, with wonderful views, as well as the night game (~30 min) where you drive in darkness after the sunset.

Misc.advices:
- you need to drive around 45min from main road to the camp. Road is quite bad so avoid "city cars" even if city cars are adapted anyway
- don't forget hat for sun but also small jacket (can be cold in the morning) but also to protect you from spines when you leave the road during games
- after 7pm, you cannot leave your room alone. After last game someone goes to your room with you, catch you around 7:30pm to bring you to diner place. Very close (30meters) but for safety reason you cannot stay alone outside
- if you absolutely want air conditioning go to Little Garonga

Room Tip: Choose between main camp (6 luxurious tents) and Little Garonga (3 small individual buildings with a...
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ju_et_Steph_S
BERNARDO S, Owner at Garonga Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2017

We are very chuffed you enjoyed your stay at Little Garonga; it is a Little Gem in the Bush. So glad you saw most of the Animals; as you say, worth keeping some back for next time.
I will certainly pass on your very kind words to the Staff.
WE look forward to welcoming you back to find that elusive Creature.
Best Regards

Reviewed 4 April 2017

I must explain before I review this place that I am the customer from hell and can find fault in EVERYWHERE I STAY!

I did not want to go on safari and stay in a tent and this was not my idea of a relaxing holiday, until I found Garonga and Little Garonga!

I am now converted. I could not fault this place, it is AMAZING, I am totally converted and LOVED every minute, no every second, of this holiday.

ALL of the staff are wonderful, thank you so much CJ, Richard, Phineus, Josiah, Loderick, Charlotte, Bernie and the lovely chef who made me mash potato because I am a fussy eater!

You are an example of how to do a job properly, this is hospitality at its best. Anyone who can find fault in this place, shame on you! If you don't appreciate this lodge then don't go on safari because it is not for you and perhaps you need to return to Benidorm where you can stay in a nice 3 star hotel!

Thank you guys, from not wanting to embrace a safari holiday, thanks to you I am totally hooked. You have given me memories to last me a lifetime ( Julie's corner! ). I can't wait to come back and see my elephant Lisette.

Keep doing what you do, you are incredible! X

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple

Well, this is very encouraging. Thanks so much for your very kind response. Great that you were so well looked after and enjoyed your whole stay.
Next Safari?
best Wishes

Reviewed 27 March 2017

Had high hopes and this went way beyond - accommodation is very good and service food and drinks top notch with elephants and wildlife providing the entertainment while you eat ! As for safari I would not have believed how close you get and the wildlife doesn't bat an eye - we got Elephants 2 herds including new born and 5-6 individual elephants, White and black Rhino, lions (4 prides), leopard twice, 2 cheaters mother and youngster twice with kill 2nd time, Hippos in the water, buffalo, impala Kudo and 2 other types of antelope, Girafffes galore including baby still with umbilical cord, Zebra wilderbeest Hyena Jackal crocodile and many others - tracker Richard and driver/tracker Isaac where brilliant - if you are thinking of a safari strongly recommend you do it and Garonga is ideal with a max 12 people at Garongo and 6 at little Garonga making this an ideal size.

Room Tip: Any really there are only 6 3 on either side of the ameities area
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CassWoking

Thanks indeed for your very kind feedback. You certainly sound as though you had a great Safari Experience; great attributes to the Guide and Tracker.
It does show that you don't have to go to the very expensive Lodges further South in order to see great Game.
Thanks again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Makalali Private Game Reserve
21.5 km away
Kurhula Wildlife Lodge
Kurhula Wildlife Lodge
#2 of 2 in Balule Nature Reserve
16.1 km away
Naledi Bushcamp and Enkoveni Camp
Naledi Bushcamp and Enkoveni Cam...
#3 of 21 in Balule Nature Reserve
19.3 km away
Rukiya Safari Camp
Rukiya Safari Camp
#80 of 175 in Kruger National Park

Been to Garonga Safari Camp? Share your experiences!