All reviews southern camp luxury suite game drives safari experience the reserve family suite private pool high tea singing and dancing buffet style ranger mike bush walk south africa their natural habitat cape town morning drive amazing experience
Reviewed 17 September 2018

I went in not knowing what to expect, as this was my first experience at a game reserve. I came home in tears missing the place, people, and wildlife. The staff at Kapama were all extremely kind, helpful, communicative, punctual, and patient. It felt like a strongly knitted community of people who equally loved nature, animals, and shared a passion for hospitality.

I was lucky to have had a group that worked well together, so our drives and meet were efficient and stress-free. I also want to give a personal shout to my guide, Lucia, who went above and beyond in sharing the world of animals. She has a deep love for them, and is grateful for the world around her. She shares her dreams that inspire people to contribute more to the well being of wildlife. Her knowledge is incredibly deep and her spirit was always fun and easy to talk to & laugh with. It felt very bittersweet to leave as I had begun to feel an emotional attachment to her, and the world she shared with our group.

The park was beautiful with so much to offer, and plenty of opportunities to see most of the Big 5 plus so many more! The entire lodge had a very efficient system in regards to check-in, meals, meets, drives, group assignments, transfers, spa appointments, and everything in between up to check-out. It made our stay worry-free, easy to follow, and just so memorable.

Thank you Kapama team for creating such a seamless, perfect, beautiful, and unique experience.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank april23993
Reviewed 6 September 2018 via mobile

My husband and I booked a villa for 3 nights in Southern Camp. The experience was exceptional and blew our minds!

The room was beautiful and luxurious and every detail was considered.

The game drives were better than we had expected. Our guide (Yuri) and tracker (Sebelo) were knowledgeable, passionate, fun and excited. We also met wonderful people. We saw the big 5 but SO much more as well. They thought of everything — even gave us warm blankets for the morning drives and had coffee breaks.

Food was delicious and plentiful (don’t miss Sam’s dance moves at dinner!).

This was one of the most memorable of all our travels. We could have stayed longer. Worth every penny. Highly recommend!

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank shanna_q_leonard
Reviewed 28 August 2018

Our stay at Kapama Southern Camp was more than I could have imagined. The resort was beautiful and well kept and the service was phenomenal. I would whole heartedly recommend it to anyway!! While some days we had to go hunting for the big 5, we definitely were able to see them and many other animals along the way- giraffes, zebras, antelope, etc. Our ranger and tracker were Muxe and Elliot. We were so lucky to have them. Muxe was full of knowledge about everything we asked. We even had a bird lover in our group and he had a book handy that showed each bird species and a device that let us hear their unique call. We saw 4 of the big 5 in our first day and a half. Muxe and Elliot knew how excited we were to see a leopard, and they stayed our extra long with us one day until we tracked one. He also knew I loved hippos. Our first visit to the hippos was short because they were relaxing under water. On our last day, he went out of his way to bring us back to the area. We were sooo lucky to see a baby hippo and mama out of the water! The food and service at Kapama was also excellent. At each meal there were many options that catered to both American taste and unique south African flavors. We loved trying all the different types of meats they offered and the different spices in all the dishes. For the vegetarians out there, there were options for you as well! The service at the restaurants and throughout the resort was also great. Everyone was always happy to help!! If you get a chance, visit the spa at Karula. The prices are very reasonable and it is a true relaxing spa experience with a beautiful, serene room, essential oils and skillful therapists. They also have a steam room and a heated lap pool with jets to take advantage of. The only suggestions I would have for Southern Camp is that the main pool OR the pools attached to the luxury villas be heated. It was a bummer that the pools were FREEZING even on the warm days. Also, many people take a flight from Hoedspruit at 2:30. This leaves about 2 hours at the resort after check out. It would be great to have a shower and changing area to use! As you can see, our experience at Kapama was exceptional!!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank meganrothmorris
Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

Amazing, amazing , simply stunning !
We booked two rooms ( 16 and 17) not far from the pool.
Big bathroom well equipped and nice room although not a luxury one.
Perfect organization and excellent service and food; eggs and bacon at breakfast unforgettable !
Top safari experience with a really professional ranger like St.John ....he answered to any questions going deeply in each topic. About the big five....to be honest ,leopard remains a dream and lions just touch and go.
I’m wondering whether riserva is too big or only bad luck.
Definitely go and enjoy...it is dream!

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Paolo F
Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

Our family of four just spent four days here and could have spent four more. Saw the big 5 and more. Spa was the best we have been to. Yes the food was buffet and great! I do not typically like buffets but there are exceptions and this is one of them. Clean rooms. Animals at your doorstep. Tracker Ishamael spent time teaching my boys some skills. And with our great Ranger Francois we all learned some very interesting African games. Only issue we had was the AC unit kept turning off and had to be reset outside. Room 24. Yes it is winter but it warmed up nicely during the day. The last day there we had to check out at 11 and our flight left at 2. The staff was great again and took us on a mini safari over to the spa and back. The service here is second to none.

Trip type: Travelled with family