All reviews guest house bobotie garden cottage spent one night road trip en route beautiful setting a lovely stay the owner nikki accommodation supper sleep rain luxury hospitality
Reviewed 3 May 2017

I had eaten at the Old Mill before, but never stayed in their accommodation. This was a very pleasant surprise. The accommodation in restored old farm buildings (one of them a National Monument) is very good, quaintly and tastefully furnished with antiques and immaculately clean, with good quality linen, clean towels daily and superior brand bathroom toiletries. The pretty garden is well kept with benches placed in shady nooks. We stayed for 3 nights with friends and could not fault anything. Service was friendly, breakfast was exceptional with several types of yoghurt, a variety of fresh fruit, three different cereals, good quality ham and cheese, perfectly poached eggs accompanied by grilled bacon and tomato, fresh homemade bread and a crispy hot croissant to finish with good quality jams. We had dinner there on one of the evenings and our group agreed that it was the best lamb shank we had ever eaten.
We will definitely visit The Old Mill again. It also offers excellent value for money.

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

This guest house has so much potential. Needs a bit of modernizing, and wifi needs attention. Otherwise we enjoyed a comfortable stay. In a competitive market like Swellendam, I can only advise that they get ahead or get left behind.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2017

We spent one night in this delightful Guest House. We were a family of 2 parents and 2 teenagers, and had adjoining rooms. They were both very well furnished, with luxury bathrooms. The Old Mill is set in charming surroundings with lovely gardens and a nice terrace. We didn't eat dinner at the Guest House (ate at the superb pizza restaurant over the road) but the breakfast was excellent. The Guest House is not in the centre of town, so you do need to get into your car to see the sights of Swellendam, but we all thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

On arrival we found our room to be lovely. The Cottage was really homely and comfortable. We both felt that we fit right in. We had dinner in their restaurant which was great. The food was absolutely delicious and cooked to perfection! My husband had the moules and I had a steak. The pudding was also gorgeous. The breakfast was also fantastic with a great selection to choose from. The service was brilliant throughout our stay. We even found our car had been cleaned when we went to leave in the morning! We will definitely be coming back here!

Date of stay: January 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2017

Ours was the Garden Cottage and we eventually found reception by a devious route which happened to include an area which we assumed was the reception. Certainly no one meeting us, but we did appreciate the help with our luggage.
A very pretty, but small cottage set in the lovely gardens. Certainly adequate for one night. Unfortunately there was only one small rubbish bin, there was no airconditioner or fan despite this being Swellendam in summer. The signal in our cottage was all but non existent, so off I go to reception. Five visits later, three assurances that Wi-Fi was available and I am still not connected - nor would I be for the evening.
Oh, talking of hot Swellendam, there was no fridge in our cottage!!! The lighting was poor if you wanted to read, and we had no clue as to how to turn on the TV. Yet another trip to reception and that was sorted.
In spite of this being not far from the heart of Ostrich country, my Ostrich steak was without any doubt the worst that I have had. My wife's rump was good, and breakfast was excellent.
There was no booklet/Info about Swellendam - what to do/see etc.
Lovely set up in a beautiful garden spoilt by what I have mentioned.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple