All reviews continental breakfast whispers restaurant overlooking the lake beautiful hotel the hotel manager the general manager living room first floor my husband and i no elevator off season hard boiled eggs private porch perfect location bagels front porch get away
Reviewed 12 September 2018

There are not all that many places to stay in the Belmar / Spring Lake area.
We chose the Hewitt Wellington for it's views of Spring Lake and it's proximity to the ocean (a three block walk).
The rooms have been beautifully restored and are very spacious. The only negatives were an uncomfortable mattress (too firm) and poor lighting in the bedroom.
The continental breakfast was limited (coffee, tea, hot and cold cereals, assorted breads for toasting, pastries) but was certainly adequate to get you up and moving for the day.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank DJW1954
Tobi T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2018

Thank you for reviewing us. I hope you had an enjoyable stay. Please feel free to let us know which room you were in so we know to correct it for even more enjoyable stays. Since we do not have a kitchen, we cannot make a more fulfilling/hot breakfast than continental, but we have plenty of places that we can recommend nearby!

Reviewed 12 September 2018

beautiful building and well maintained. Upon entering room 7, I felt like Alice passing through the looking glass because I was immersed into a great beach experience. The room is so well appointed and in good taste that no matter where you look you can feel the beach. (The only thing missing is the sand) When you step onto the private balcony the lake seems only steps away. It was a fantasy dream come true

Room tip: Stay in room 7 for the WHIMSICAL beach experience
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Tobi T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2018

Thank you for reviewing us. I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay and liked your room. It is a room that books fast!

Reviewed 12 September 2018

This was my third stay at the Hewitt Wellington, and it won't be my last. As other reviewers have stated, the best thing about the hotel is its staff who are always attentive, courteous, and helpful.

The reason that I initially chose HW was that since I was traveling with a young child(now two young children) I wanted a reasonable priced suite, which would allow my wife and I a chance to spend some time together once the children went to sleep in the bedroom. Not an easy find anywhere on the Jersey Shore.

This last go around we stayed in the new room #29 which is not in the actual hotel, but is above the garage area by the pool with its own private entrance. Since it was new, the room was fantastic, clean, and spacious. It offered a King size bed, a breakfast nook with direct views of the lake to enjoy meals, as well as a wet bar with a sink(HUGE when traveling with children and having to clean bottles, flatware, etc). With its private entrance along the back driveway it made loading and unloading my car very simple as I was able to pull right up to the door. The only downfall of the room was that you did feel as though you were in a fishbowl with visibility into the room from multiple angles. The worst was the front window which allowed people to see into the living space from the street. Can be easily fixed with some window dressing. Also, some may feel uncomfortable by not being connected to the main residence.

We have previously stayed in rooms #11 and #15, and since each is independently owned, the appearance, upkeep, and amenities of each varies. DO YOUR HOMEWORK before booking.

We have stayed at the hotel, during peak season(4th of July weekend) as well as the off season(mid September), and we have never had any issues with parking. The hotel is within easy walking distance from the beach(there are restrictions on food and drink at the beach that are enforced during the summer) and they provide beach passes. Note, that after labor day, you can find plenty of parking by the boardwalk which once again is useful when traveling with children. The hotel is also very close to the ice cream shop Sundae Times, which we always frequent. The pool while not large, is clean and was perfect for a young child. Their front porch is gorgeous and the perfect way to end a day at the beach by relaxing with a cocktail as the kids play. Lastly is the breakfast, my wife who was on a very restrictive diet last year(No soy, gluten, or dairy) was always able to find something for her, and our young daughter. Pretty basic, juice, coffee, donuts, bagels, cereal, yogurt, etc. But great if you're not looking to go out for breakfast every morning. Just know, the earlier you get there, the better your options.

This hotel, and the entire town of Spring Lake is perfect if you want to do a Jersey Shore trip, but be away from some of the chaos of other communities(don't fret, still easy to get to other areas). I highly recommend.

• Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you for reviewing us. I'm so happy to hear that our hotel is a good fit for your family each time. You bring up some excellent points. And to add to that, if anyone ever needs help with the "homework" before booking, we can always assist guests in picking the right room for them at the front desk or over the phone.

Reviewed 10 September 2018

The Hewitt Wellington is our favorite Jersey shore hotel. We try to stay in room #7 when visiting but it was only available for our first two nights. This year the room is showing some wear and lack of detail cleaning, still very nice and beautiful view from the balcony. On the third night we were moved to room #3. I felt that we had been moved to a second rate hotel in the woods. Although management did everything they could to make us comfortable, it was far less than a favorable experience. The carpet needs to be replaced, if not, at least extracted, rose colored carpet with orange chairs, room needs painting, small TV, no toilet tissue holder, screened in porch was old, worn paneling, poorly furnished, carpet needs to be replaced. Stay away from room #3, at least until it's brought up to a standard representative of the surroundings. I rate our stay average only because of our first two nights stay and hotel customer service.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Mike, thank you for reviewing us. We have brought this news to the attention of the owner of Room 3. And I was not aware of the toilet tissue holder missing (I don't even know how something like that goes missing), but I have already purchased new ones. We hope to see you again, thank you for your loyalty.

Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

The room was nice but we discovered we weren't alone- we had ants. I saw them immediately in my night stand and even though they sprayed we continued to see them. I think the continental breakfast needs some help. The bagels were mini and you should at least offer some selection of danish and cut fruit. On Saturday morning we were not ready for housekeeping and asked them to return in 1 1/2 hours but they didn't. Luckily, they were still at the inn so we had them come back. I would say the experience did not match the price. The restaurant, Whispers, was excellent and we had a wonderful dinner.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Jeanne, I hope you enjoyed your stay regardless of some of the mishaps. Every time I went into your room, I did not see an ant, but sprayed regardless, just in case. You should not have had ants, but I hear they like to come in when it's raining, which it did during your stay. I will continue to keep an eye in that room anyway. Housekeeping did come to your room twice and you were not ready, but they had no problem coming back again. It was a good thing you told us at the front desk. We're always happy to fix a situation for you.