See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

I am retired from a county social services provider. This motel was used by the county and other social service providers as "emergency housing" for homeless clients. My review is based on feedback that clients and staff have given.
This place is an old, run down motel that caters to a clientele that frequently uses it as emergency housing. The rooms smell like years of cigarette smoke is infused in the walls. The carpet is dirty and worn and the linens are threadbare. If you can afford A better place or have other options AVOID!!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank Dom S
Reviewed 29 August 2017

Thought I'd take a chance considering it was for one night. Big mistake! Upon arrival I attempted to pay with a credit card. The owners refused and demanded cash. After seeing the place I left. This place is a dump!!!!!!!!!!! Thank God I left.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank A z
Reviewed 1 March 2017

Everything is old, ramshackle. The room smells cigarettes and Indian food. Suddenly electricity and water went off. I would avoid this place at any cost. There are nicer motels around in the same price range.

Room Tip: there are no good rooms there
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gabin4u
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I spent a night at this place in May. My preferred hotels were booked out (Saturday night), but based on the two-star rating and the price ($109 plus tax) I expected a somewhat decent place. What I found though was a totally neglected, run-down dump, inside and out. Asphalt surface of parking area was broken and full of pot-holes. Room was dark, dirty, shabby, and very smelly; furniture and carpet full of cigarette stains (non-smoking room!). I put a towel on the armchair before I dared to sit down. Contrary to description of room no satellite-TV, no Wi-Fi.

I would have run away on the spot but with no rooms available in the neighborhood and because I would have lost one night's payment I stayed. Thank goodness, the bed sheets looked ok. I was exhilarated to get out the next morning.

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Racined
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I stayed at the Fernwood with a friend back in July of 2010. I know this was 2 years ago, and not Oct 2011; however, I stayed at the Fernwood for an entire week,and my memory is pretty clear. (We were in the process of looking for a place to live, and we had negotiated a cheap rate.)

Our room was on the ground floor, and had one bed, which I think was a queen. The room was small for 2 people to occupy for an entire week, but hey, it was bigger than the inside of my car! A mini-fridge and microwave were available. The TV service was iffy, one or two channels was all we got.

I remember my friend driving nails into the door so we could hang some of our clothing. There was no closet or even a hanging rack in the room!

Cleanliness was not the best--the carpet was very old/stained, and the walls in the bathroom and shower needed to be scrubbed well. However, the sheets were clean, no bedbugs or any other bugs that I could see, and the toilet was cleaned and I believe even sanitized.

The bathroom was REALLY small--this motel probably dates from the early 50's. The shower stall was just that, no tub. Which was tolerable, given my situation at that time. But it was difficult taking a shower while trying to NOT touch the walls. Thank god I had flip flops.

The worst thing was this underlying smell of I'm not sure what...sewer backup? I didn't notice it so much at night, but during the day...it was probably fermenting in the sun, wherever it was. That was 2 years ago, so hopefully that particular issue has since been resolved.

This was an OK place to stay in a pinch. However, I would insist on seeing the room before putting any money down.

I would not pay more than $45/night to stay in the room i was in.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple