“Don't judge a book by its cover”
Review of Taqueria Maria's

Taqueria Maria's
Ranked #2 of 46 Restaurants in Monroe
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

While in Jamesburg NJ we were wanting Mexican food and saw that Taqueria Maria's got great reviews so we decided to go for dinner.

It's a small restaurant in residential area and I'm guessing it was someone's home at one time. The "food" sign outside is about as big as the restaurant with 6 tables inside and space for 4 more to sit at the bar to eat. While the place may be small, the portions were big as were the flavors.

Everything was made to order using fresh ingredients. Our party had a chicken burrito bowl, verde enchiladas, and chicken empanadas. All were delicious and flavorful; the freshest Mexican food I've ever had (and I've had my share).

Chips and salsa were provided as well. The chips were ok, not many of them, and not as fresh as the other food served, but the 2 salsa were delicious. One was the color of tomato soup, not chunky or spicy but a good taste. The second was green and chunky with a bit of a kick. Wish we were given more of each kind, they were both very good.

1  Thank Jill D

Reviewed 23 August 2017

My husband and I stopped in for lunch today as we were in the area and it has received great reviews. The place has a very authentic feel and the food was good. It is a tight place so and the weather was just to hot to sit out side but I suppose if the weather was cooler that would allow for more customers. The staff was very friendly to all of the customers. I do not plan to be back in the area so I probably will not revisit but if I do find myself back over that way I certainly would.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

We eat here regularly as they definitely have the most delicious and authentic mexican food in the area. The mole is unbelievable! My favorite is the chilles rellenos and spicy pork burrito.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

my wife and I have been looking for a good Mexican restaurant and I think we found it in Monroe. the building is small and unimpressive, but don't pass it by.
it is SMALL but the food and the warm greeting from the staff makes you forget it's size and sets toy up for a wonderful meal. My wife ordered the ralj burrito (forgive the spelling } and I ordered the chicken mole. bothe way above the norm. The Burrito was soo big that my wife couldn't finish it. I on the other hand ate every piece of my chicken mole.
If you're looking for ambience this is not your place, but if youre looking for great Mexican this is it

Reviewed 22 May 2017 via mobile

You know how great food is when the owner greets you and makes you feel like family.... and that's how she cooks for family... she does not cook prefabricated food all from scratch bean, mole ..... my hubby and I look forward to what has become a tradition Taqueria Maria's Burrito Maria, Burrito Ralph and the last appetizer nacho fiesta wow the nachos have an amazing home made flavor the black beans in it , the avocado well you must try it ....we love it