“Neighborhood authentic mexican”

Add it.
Maria's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 47 Restaurants in Monroe
Reviewed 25 April 2016

This is a Mexican restaurant located on a thru road in a mixed residential / warehouse area. The food seems very authentic and the restaurant became crowded at dinner on a weekend visit. The seating area is small and clean but not at all fancy - a mix of banquette seating and chairs with wooden tables. The whole place may seat 18-20 people. The space looks a little like a small deli that was converted to a restaurant. The guacamole was fresh and delicious. The fajitas carnitas look good, but the pork was very fatty had some bone pieces in it which was a bit of a turn off. A chicken in mole sauce was tasty, though the chicken seemed a little over cooked and dry inside.

Staff were very friendly and it seems to have a big following though most of the people seemed to be ordering tacos, enchiladas, burritos, etc. The menu is quite diverse and we only tried a few things that were a little different. Worth a try if you are in the area and looking for something different.

Reviewed 5 March 2016

Our son saw reviews on this restaurant and wanted to visit. We were not disappointed.
Though small seating area, food has been delicious. We have gone three times now. I always order the smothered steak fajita. Staff is always very friendly. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 1 August 2015

My daughter took me here, from the outside it was not big and showy, and it was small and cozy inside. I ordered tacos and enchiladas. My daughter ordered tacos and seafood soup. Wow, is all I could say! What a wonderful gem of a find. Wonderful food, big portions, priced reasonable. I will go there often because I am was completely blown away by how good all the food tasted.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Faced with endless rush-hour traffic on NJ Turnpike while trying to hold off eating as the best- bet was the approaching Molly Pitcher rest stop, I recalled from years back when I lived near Princeton NJ that Cranbury Township was a worthwhile destination. Scrolling through the online choices, the reviews for Maria's caught my attention with the words 'everything homemade.' Promising my husband that it was only three miles off the turnpike, he agreed and we exited at 8A and drove toward Monroe, right near Cranbury. We drove past huge warehouses and sprawling fields of corn and other greens, finally turning into a residential street, convinced we made a wrong turn. Soon we spotted Maria's, a modest building with a few tables set beside a parking lot. A little girl was reading to her stuffed animals outback. It was an early Tuesday evening and we were the only ones there. My husband, teenaged daughter and I Wondered if we had accidentally ventured into someone's private home. Dubiously we sat down.
We began to think differently when we saw Maria chopping tomatoes and avocados for the most delicious guacamole we could remember eating (and my daughter spent her summer waitressing in a Mexican restaurant so considered herself a fair judge). That was followed by homemade empanadas, with flaky crust, and a tender chicken filling, topped with fresh greens. By now we wondered why we had ordered a main course. My taco salad featured a golden buttery taco overflowing with sliced avocado, ground beef and bright greens. My husband's mole was complex with strong, but not overpowering chocolate and coffee flavors. My daughter's carnitas rancheros featured slow -cooked,shredded pork with steaming tortillas served on the side.
Maria told us she is from Oaxaca, where she learned to cook everything 'from scratch' for the Mexican Indians. She was frank about the fact that some people have complained about her place's informality or lack of decor, but, she boasted, "nobody ever complains the food." We ended up packing up our entrees and eating them later, and the taste hadn't suffered from the waits.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Completely off the beaten path, though near the jersey turnpike. Why would this phenomenal example of Mexican food be here. Every single thing is made from scratch by Maria, who greets you and cooks. The guacomole is THE best I've ever had. Lots of lime. The mole is really deep and complex. The empanadas were lucious. Even the chips are great. The enchiladas had huge chunks of great chicken. I would travel a couple of hours out of the way to eat here.