“The worst restaurant experience of my life.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Matata Asian Cuisine
Ranked #26 of 53 Restaurants in Middletown
Reviewed 1 September 2017

This is honestly the worst restaurant experience in my life. With Matata it's either a hit or miss. Half of the time my food is good and then the other half it's poorly made and usually burnt. That isn't even my biggest issue, their customer service is absolutely horrible, they treat their customers very badly. I just got off the phone with Matata's manager after arguing for about 30 minutes. I ordered a bento box but instead was given the "dinner order" because most customers get dinner orders and to next time call instead of order online because the orders are "too long" after getting nowhere I was hung up on despite me saying "wait! hold on!" I call back and continue to try sorting this problem out by her saying "what do you want me to do" repeatedly and me giving her the answer that I'd like the bento box in exchange she would not accept my answer but finally says she'll send out the bento box instead but I would have to wait a couple of hours. Hours later I receive a call from Matata's Manager and she says, I quote "You made mistake, not us." and I responded saying "Great way to treat your customers, I'm never ordering here again." and then she says "No problem!" And hangs up. I called back a bit later asking to speak to the manager (because at that point I was assuming she was just an employee) but she was the manager and said that despite me being wrong she will send me the bento box, I thanked her and calmly explained to her the difference between their online menu and their hard copy, online menu having the bento box option for teriyaki salmon which I ordered on, I even have an online receipt she mid sentence hangs up. Matata ripped me off and did not give me what I payed $20.

Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

My family and I frequently dine at Matata for it's excellent quality cuisine and variety. The owner, Karen, always greets us with a warm smile and goes out of her way to make sure we enjoy our meal.

In addition to the delicious Chinese and Thai dishes, Matata has made major strides in creating high quality sushi and sashimi presentations. The cuts are generous and the fish is always fresh and tasty.

Matata is one stop dining for quality Asian cuisine.

Reviewed 11 August 2016

DW and I, seniors, like this Asian restaurant very much. We usually get one bento box and a sushi or sashimi deluxe platter and it is plenty for the two of us. The fish is always fresh. The tempura is classic and delish. BYOB is a welcome plus. The setting is nice and the pricing is appropriate. A good value.

1  Thank Bill B
Reviewed 9 June 2016

Dinner here was such a fun treat as my group of ten enjoyed ordering so many different entrees and apps. Everything was delicious and the service very friendly. Some favorites were the garlic shrimp, orange chicken, and pineapple fried rice. Will definitely go again!

1  Thank collegemom14
Reviewed 4 April 2016

My wife and I ate here several times. If you want excellent fresh sushi this is the place to go. They also have hot rolls too such as Double Lobster roll and Spider Roll which we love. Their soups are fresh and very good and they are not salty like many places. This place delivers also. We had food delivered a few times and when we ordered Green Tea it came already made and it was very good. We tried many Sushi places and this is the best we have eaten so far. I noticed some reviews were not good in 2015 and I am surprised because we never had a problem with their food or service.