“Great food . . . very pricey!”

Rigoletto Trattoria
Ranked #19 of 53 Restaurants in Middletown
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 March 2017

I had not been to Rigoletto's in quite some time, but I do recall the food was always very good.

When driving by, I actually thought the place wasn't open. From the outside, the place look closed, dark. They need to do something to let people know they are open. The restaurant was predominantly empty, which made for a "sad environment". An update of some sort is needed here.

The food was extremely consistent. Everything was tasty; the temperature was very good; the staff was warm and attentive.

That said I thought the prices were similar to that of a NYC restaurant. To my thinking, I thought the price points were high. The appetizers were all in the $15 range; the pasta dishes averaged around $22.00; the entree prices were very high . . the lowest price being $24.00 but many of the items were much higher then that, $28 - $38

I don't expect to pay that kind of pricing for a byo on Rt.35 in Middletown. Good food, but in my opinion priced way to high for what it is!

Reviewed 30 January 2017 via mobile

This is a great local Italian
Shrimp app in grand marnier is excellent
Shrimp app wrapped in pancetta is excellent
Crab cake app is good but missable

Beef bourguignon special over homemade pasta is good
Pasta with mushroom, peas and chicken excellent
Veal saltimboca special excellent
Shrimp with crabmeat excellent
Fried zucchini side excellent

Reviewed 22 January 2017

My wife & I having been going to Rigoletto's for the past (2) years. Food is excellent as are the servers. We took (2) couples for dinner, their first time at Rigoletto's. They loved it. Our server was Phil who is awesome. Never rushes you through dinner. We had 6:30 reservations, were seated immediately & left at 9:10. Phil, our server never rushed us.
We started with family style Misto Salad & deep fried Calamari, both excellent (enough to feed 6). My wife had short ribs which fell off the bone. I had a rigatoni, shrimp & hot sausage dish served with a vodka sauce. Both dishes were excellent. Just another great meal, we highly recommend this restaurant. Also, it is a BYOB.

Reviewed 9 October 2016 via mobile

I attended a family birthday party at this restaurant on Saturday, September 17, 2016, and had a less than favorable experience. Due to my allergy to gluten, I spoke to the host of the party to confirm whether or not the restaurant offers gluten-free options and when she called the restaurant to check, was told that it was something they were easily able to accommodate with an alternate appetizer and entree. I happily accepted and was ready to celebrate her husband's birthday with the rest of my family.

Upon entering the restaurant, I informed the staff that I am gluten-free due to an allergy and they were friendly and helpful. I brought my own gluten-free bread and they happily heated it and presented it in its own basket along with the other bread baskets for the table. The problem really began when I started to ask the waitress, Maria, if certain things on the table were gluten-free. I did not feel 100% confident in her responses since she told me one of the pasta appetizers was gluten-free, so I asked to speak to the chef. At once she became annoyed and rude, stating that the chefs were too busy to come out to speak with me and if I was questioning her knowledge, then perhaps I should simply order a salad with oil and vinegar. I explained that I was not trying to be difficult but that my allergy is indeed serious and can cause me to become quite ill if I eat gluten. I truly believed Maria was uninformed about which items contain gluten and my issue here is that asking the chefs should not have been that problematic for her. Instead, she asked the host of the party to step aside and complained me and lied about statements I never made. I have worked in the service industry in my life, in fact I am a former US Veteran, and know that this shows a complete lack of customer service skills. Why should my family member have been bothered with such a thing when it could have been easily resolved without making an issue out of it?

After this conversation took place, the party host reassured me that everything would be fine and that my meal would contain no gluten. My entree arrived - it was a veal dish and the restaurant had substituted gluten-free pasta which was a nice treat. The meal was good, but after a few forkfuls, I discovered a hair entwined with my pasta. Unfortunately I had to send the dish back and was informed that it would take quite awhile to make another dish so I settled for the dish made without the pasta. The dish was fine and I had no other issues......or so I thought.

I began to feel very hot on the way home in the car and began sweating because the skin on my entire body felt as if it was on fire. By the time I arrived home about 45 minutes later, things had become much, much worse. I had a rash covering the extent of my body, bloodshot eyes, a terrible headache, burning in my chest, and I became violently ill with gastrointestinal issues. I was up the entire night with stomach issues and severe joint pain, and it took me an entire week to feel normal again.

For those of you who don't know, these are all symptoms of gluten poisoning for someone like me. The restaurant contaminated me with gluten - although I'm not sure exactly how. We speculate that perhaps the gluten-free pasta was cooked in the same water as the regular pasta - but who knows really? All I know is that was experience here was terrible and I'm posting this review not to slam the restaurant - I don't think it was done on purpose - but to let others know that this place really cannot accommodate someone with a gluten allergy. I wanted to reach out to the manager or owner directly, but our hostess asked that we simply post an online review instead. I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else so I feel like I need to inform anyone with gluten issues to avoid this place. Not only are they unknowledgable, but they don't communicate that lack of knowledge to their customers when asked. Steer clear of this place or bring your own food if you're dining here with other people - the food was not that great anyway so you won't be missing all that much.

1  Thank Christine L
Reviewed 9 September 2016

Second time there. First time was a private function. The food impressed us so much, we had to go back. Glad we did!