“A "Good" Lunch Spot for a King”

King Wok Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #31 of 60 Restaurants in Manalapan
Reviewed 6 August 2015

You have many choices for lunch - Fast food, convenience store BTO (Built-To-Order) food, a pizzeria for a dollar slice or two, a café - often times, a Chinese/Asian restaurant is overlooked for other choices. If you're around the area and you're looking for lunch, I wouldn't look past King Wok if you're truly in the mood for an Asian cuisine lunch. This restaurant has right-sized portions with a decent price (~$10.)

My order was a lunch special consisting of a cup of Hot & Sour Soup (酸辣湯) and an entrée of Spicy Mala Beef (麻辣牛) with White Rice. The Hot & Sour Soup wasn't too thick, yet it wasn't too watery (both are common mistakes made by many other mediocre Chinese restaurants out there.) There was a good amount of ingredients within the soup (not too much, not too little.) The Spicy Mala Beef (which is stir-fried beef, baby corn, water chestnut slices, pepper, onion, carrot and mushrooms with the spicy, oily Mala sauce) was not overwhelmingly spicy as I would have expected from eating it at its geographic origin in Szechuan. However, nonetheless, it was tasty and wasn't bland. I picked this one specifically because other nearby restaurants don't seem to have this as a choice (and I felt a craving for something a bit spicy!)

Finally, service-wise, I felt the slight language barrier with the waitress might have slowed down service only slightly. It's understandable - most Chinese restaurants have immigrants with a lower-level understanding of a language we all take for granted here - my patience made things go without a problem. The waitress was generous and had a very positive attitude through the entire service and there was nothing negative to really point out. The restaurant was clean in the interior, but my only wish is that the children, possibly the business owner's or one of the employee's, would be shown some discipline and restraint - their running around the restaurant and shouting butchered the tranquil ambience that was present upon entering the place.

In the end, I have to say that this is a good lunch spot to get a full, decent lunch for less than $10. The food here is pleasant and not bland, the people are kind and do their best with a positive attitude and you get your money's worth, all-in-all. This would be one of my choices of lunch spots in the area and it should be yours, too!

Reviewed 9 February 2015

This is my go to place for years. Great prices, the food is always fresh, portions are good and everything is tasty-- and I have no problem with their rice (give me a break). Just what you'd want from a little local joint. Just beware that if the restaurant is crowded, the service can be slow.

Reviewed 6 February 2015

Recently picked up several dishes here, because I was in a hurry, and didn't have time for my regular Chinese restaurant. The soup was watered down and the rice was clumped together - (isnt there an Uncle Ben's rice commercial about this!) We also had ribs, egg foo young, and chicken with brocolli. If you like "MALL Chinese fast food", this place is fine. But if you want Chinese food that is delicious - stay far away. By the way, the restaurant told me (after I complained) "people like their soup light, and their rice clumped". Yeah sure... on Mars!!!!

Reviewed 8 October 2014

I had been entertaining a visitor from China. There was considerable disappointment with NYC and Brooklyn Chinese restaurants. Then, this little out of the way eatery blew all others away. In the opinion of my Chinese friend..."this is the best Chinese food outside of China."
Need I say more.
Note: Service is as good as the food.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

I believe it's two sisters who bought this restaurant about 7 years ago- they have made it amazing!!!
The food is excellent and reasonable. They updated the furnishings. The service is always great. Being a vegetarian they have always accommodated me changing usual meet dishes into tofu masterpieces.
The atmosphere is pleasant and the restaurant is clean.
All our friends who we have brought there go back including some from Marlboro, East Brunswick and Freehold!
Our last visit was 4 days ago and as usual we were very satisfied.