“Disappointed, not sure what people are here”

The Crab's Claw Inn
Ranked #5 of 27 Restaurants in Lavallette
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We are from the area and were disappointed with this place. Heard how crowded it gets in summer so came in the spring. They didn’t have a special I ordered as it took them at least 5-10 minutes to tell me. I ordered a second dish (flounder franchise) and Jr was ready in less than 10 minutes? Not too crazy clearly. My wife got a blackened salmon and it was gross quite frankly. Would never come here again with so many great restaurants in the area. We really wanted to like it as well. I would come to the bar for a beer and a burger or some fried fish I guess but never for dinner

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband and I had dinner there Sat June 16 for Father's Day and ordered the stuffed flounder over asparagus with lobster sauce, side of fries. The rolls were stale, the fries were cold and the fish was raw. This is the 2nd time I've had a bad meal. I told the waitress and the $26.99 was taken off the bill. This is not what I wanted though. I truly wanted a real good seafood dinner. It was so disappointing that the chef would rather put out a bad meal and not charge for it rather than create a delicious memorable meal. Because it has happened twice now, we won't be going back.

Reviewed 15 June 2018

We wanted to eat fish and stay in the area and enjoy some music and crabs claw had all that. I liked the musicians voice and music and he looked great barefooted. Thanks for a lovely time.

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

I was disappointed with everything but the water with lemon. The roll was stale and tasteless (one bite as it was not worth the calories), blue cheese dressing tasteless, scallop casserole had little to no flavor, and coleslaw seemed pre-package. Won't go back.

1  Thank PattyD440
Reviewed 9 June 2018

For decades the Crab's Claw has been a favorite shore restaurant offering good food and good service year round. Summer visitors flock there for a couple of reasons: it's in the heart of the town, convenient and, it is one of two restaurants within miles with a liquor license. It is the only place the locals go to.

As I have stated before, pickings at the shore are touch and go, You can occasionally find a great little spot and there are many fine places if you don't mind driving. But the Crab's Claw has a seeming monopoly in this area and that is not a good thing.

As with most every eatery after Sandy, prices are ridiculously high while quality and portions have diminished. Crab's Claw is no exception and frankly a huge disappointment. On any given afternoon and evening the place does a booming business. In season the line can be two hours long. To me that would mean that they can well afford to maintain a consistently high standard across the board.On the other hand, when you are a monopoly, you can squeeze out more profits by systematic cost cutting as is evidenced here. However, one thing that is ample is the help, seems like there were 30 frenetic servers etc in sight all hell bent on turning over the tables as quickly as possible.

We went for an early dinner so seating was not a problem. That was the highlight of our experience.

We barely sat down and our server pounced on us for our drink orders. Strike 1.When our drinks came, the glasses had been downsized. Next, placing our food order was Strike 2. Seems like upselling is now a way to sneak in those extra profits at this place. And, in our server's haste to get our order she forgot about our soup which then turned into another upsell opportunity.

Chowder was good. Salads were clearly premade and the warm lettuce showing its age. In keeping with the minimalist theme, the entrees were delivered in small soup dishes so the contents appeared to be deceivingly hearty. Strike 3. The portions were not only smaller but the sauce was very odd tasting. But with a small dish it didn't take long to work through it. Strike 4. Desert was another upsell that failed to deliver it's basic ingredients. Strike 5.

In summary, with 5 Strikes this is a place to avoid. Hitting the bar might be a more rewarding experience than a table. As for price, for another $25-30 we could have had a much better meal elsewhere. Crab's Claw IMHO earned high honors in the worst restaurant category.

crabbyclaw, General Manager at The Crab's Claw Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

I am sorry that your had such a bad experience at The Crab's Claw. We strive to make all of our customers happy and I am sorry that did not happen.

First, we did not raise our prices after Sandy, in fact, we made our lunch menu with sandwiches available all day and night. Salads are not premade but in fact, plated to order.

Glassware is the same that we have had forever, did not downsize on anything.

Upselling is part of a servers job, customers seem to like that they can get something at just an up charge and not pay full price.

I can not comment on the food because you did not mention what you had but if was not to your liking you should have let the server know and she would have gotten you something else or a new order made